Food manufacturers can label a food product "Low Fat&qu

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:620
Food manufacturers can label a food product "Low Fat" if the products fat content is less than 3 grams. A nutritionist objects to this practice. She claims that consumers that mistake "low fat" to mean healthy, and therefore eat products that can still contribute to health problems. If food manufacturers could not put such labels on their products, consumers would have more incentive to investigate food products,and thus would be able to determine which products are truly healthy.

The nutritionist argument relies on which of the following assumptions ?

A) A food low in fat can still be high in cholesterol.

B) Most consumers buy a variety of food products ranging in fat content.

C) People predisposed to heart disease have to be very careful selecting what foods they eat.

D) Most supermarkets have sections dedicated to health foods.

E) Food consumers are capable of determining which foods are healthy.

OA is E

You might surely get the answer as i got it, however i am not able to find the right conclusion. In the argument i can see "claim", "therefore", and "thus". Which one is the conclusion ? Please help to find the conclusion.

Thanks & Regards
Vinni

Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:770

by OptimusPrep » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:09 pm
vinni.k wrote:Food manufacturers can label a food product "Low Fat" if the products fat content is less than 3 grams. A nutritionist objects to this practice. She claims that consumers that mistake "low fat" to mean healthy, and therefore eat products that can still contribute to health problems. If food manufacturers could not put such labels on their products, consumers would have more incentive to investigate food products,and thus would be able to determine which products are truly healthy.

You might surely get the answer as i got it, however i am not able to find the right conclusion. In the argument i can see "claim", "therefore", and "thus". Which one is the conclusion ? Please help to find the conclusion.

Thanks & Regards
Vinni
The right conclusion is "the consumers would investigate food if the labels are not there and thus can determine the healthy food"
Here "claim" is used to tell you the reasoning of nutritionist and "therefore" is used to tell the effect of the claim.

"Thus" is linked to the conclusion here.

Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:620

by vinni.k » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:18 am
thank you ankur

Regards
Vinni

Legendary Member

by nikhilgmat31 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:50 pm
Answer is E.
conclusion - if there is no label then consumers will investigate the food quality.

assumption- consumers know how to evaluate the quality.