Loans

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Loans

by src_saurav » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:02 am
Businesses are suffering because of a lack of money available for development loans. To help businesses, the
government plans to modify the income-tax structure in order to induce individual taxpayers to put a larger
portion of their incomes into retirement savings accounts, because as more money is deposited in such
accounts, more money becomes available to borrowers.

Which of the following, if true, raises the most serious doubt regarding the effectiveness of the government's
plan to increase the amount of money available for development loans for businesses?

(A) When levels of personal retirement savings increase, consumer borrowing always increases
correspondingly.
(B) The increased tax revenue the government would receive as a result of business expansion would not
offset the loss in revenue from personal income taxes during the �rst year of the plan.
(C) Even with tax incentives, some people will choose not to increase their levels of retirement savings.
(D) Bankers generally will not continue to lend money to businesses whose prospective earnings are
insuf�cient to meet their loan repayment schedules.
(E) The modi�ed tax structure would give all taxpayers, regardless of their incomes, the same tax savings for
a given increase in their retirement savings.

My assumption-People .being young,will not draw money from the account for a long time.

Answer D came close to this .Please explain what was wrong in my thinking.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:02 am
src_saurav wrote:Businesses are suffering because of a lack of money available for development loans. To help businesses, the
government plans to modify the income-tax structure in order to induce individual taxpayers to put a larger
portion of their incomes into retirement savings accounts, because as more money is deposited in such
accounts, more money becomes available to borrowers.

Which of the following, if true, raises the most serious doubt regarding the effectiveness of the government's
plan to increase the amount of money available for development loans for businesses?

(A) When levels of personal retirement savings increase, consumer borrowing always increases
correspondingly.
(B) The increased tax revenue the government would receive as a result of business expansion would not
offset the loss in revenue from personal income taxes during the �rst year of the plan.
(C) Even with tax incentives, some people will choose not to increase their levels of retirement savings.
(D) Bankers generally will not continue to lend money to businesses whose prospective earnings are
insuf�cient to meet their loan repayment schedules.
(E) The modi�ed tax structure would give all taxpayers, regardless of their incomes, the same tax savings for
a given increase in their retirement savings.

My assumption-People .being young,will not draw money from the account for a long time.

Answer D came close to this .Please explain what was wrong in my thinking.
Premise: The plan will induce individuals to put more money into their retirement accounts, making more funds available for BORROWERS.
Conclusion: There will be an increase in the amount of money available for BUSINESSES.

BORROWERS ≠ BUSINESSES.
To weaken the conclusion, the correct will answer will show that making funds available for BORROWERS ≠ increasing the amount of money available for BUSINESSES.

A: When levels of personal retirement savings increase, consumer borrowing always increases correspondingly.
Implication:
An increase in CONSUMER borrowing will mean LESS MONEY available for BUSINESSES, weakening the conclusion that there will be an increase in the amount of money available for BUSINESSES.
The correct answer is A.

D: Bankers generally will not continue to lend money to businesses whose prospective earnings are insuf�cient to meet their loan repayment schedules.
Even if some businesses do not qualify for a loan, money would still be AVAILABLE for businesses that DO quality.
Thus, D does NOT weaken the conclusion that there will be an increase in the amount of money available for BUSINESSES.
Eliminate D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:700

by bubbliiiiiiii » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:42 pm
I Chose E!
Regards,

Pranay

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by ash4gmat » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:20 am
Mitch, why it cannot be option C.
My thought -with no increase in level of retirement saving money available to the borrowers will be less.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:00 am
ash4gmat wrote:Mitch, why it cannot be option C.
My thought -with no increase in level of retirement saving money available to the borrowers will be less.
some means AT LEAST ONE.
C implies the following:
Even with tax incentives, at least one person will choose not to increase his level of retirement savings.
The actions of one person are not sufficient to affect the conclusion.
Eliminate C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3