Just Scored a 730 with Manhattan and Target Test Prep!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
After a couple of years of dreading studying for the GMAT while working full time, I finally got started in late February by signing up for a Manhattan online course. I had heard good things about Manhattan and felt I needed the fixed schedule of a class to keep me going. I took a Manhattan diagnostic practice test before the course and scored 590, scoring much better in verbal than quant. I had a good experience with the Manhattan course. The instructors were great and I completed nearly 100% of the assigned curriculum each week. With each practice test, I continued to improve in verbal and showed limited improvement in quant. I signed up to take the GMAT for the first time 3 or 4 weeks after my class ended. Between the end of my class and the test, I studied exclusively quant and felt like I made real improvement. I scored a 690 on a practice test a week before the real thing and was finally feeling better about quant. On test day, the quant section went awful as I didn't have the confidence or the full understanding of the material. I did great in Verbal to manage a 670, but only scored a 40 quant, roughly where I was at the beginning of the Manhattan class.

I started searching for tutoring options to help me with Quant and stumbled upon Target Test Prep and Jeffrey Miller. He convinced me to give their curriculum a free trial and sign up for a tutoring session. I was immediately impressed by the thoroughness of the curriculum and I felt like I was covering many things for the first time. It does a great job of making difficult questions/materials seem simple and showing all of the possible applications of that material that you may see on the GMAT. I complemented my self-study of the curriculum with Jeff's tutoring once or twice a week. He did a great job of highlighting key points and taught me easy ways to solve difficult questions. After 5 intense weeks of studying, I took the GMAT again and scored a 730 (48 in quant)! My goal was always a 700 and I had never even imagined I could score that high. I was so much more confident during the quant section as I actually understand the math and had a defined process for solving most types of questions.

If you are struggling with Quant, Target Test Prep is the way to go. It made an amazing difference for me.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:720

by Admit1MBA » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:58 am
Congrats on your success in the GMAT! That's wonderful news.
Good luck with the next steps of your application - what's the plan? do you already have a list of dream schools?

Yael
www.admit1mba.com