Withdrawn courses in undergraduate - How to handle?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I'm putting together MBA applications, and although I'm proud of my GPA (3.7) and GMAT (780), I'm concerned about 2 conspicuous gaps on my transcript.
In my 1 semester of Undergraduate, I withdrew part way through the semester from Intro to Macro-Econ, because I had a part-time job offer in that timeslot and wanted to be able to feed myself. I was acing it easily, and so found it boring anyway. Later in school, I did the exact same with a more advanced Managerial Finance class. Again, acing it, but had a job that conflicted.

I had not even considered an MBA at the time, and so didn't think anything of it at the time. I'm very worried now those will really taint my application, since they show as "Withdraw," and may appear to be an inability to handle those classes.
How can (or should I even) get out in front of this? Where or when do I address it? Any advice?

I thought of maybe even trying to take the courses through a Coursera or EDX to assure that the subject matter was well in my grasp?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:720

by Admit1MBA » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:43 am
Hi There,
If you've taken other upper level classes in school, this should not be an issue. Since your overall GPA and GMAT are strong, schools are not going to be worried about your ability to handle the academic requirements of the program. The simple way of handling this situation would be to write a few lines about what happened in the optional essay. I think that you should be fine.

Good luck,
Yael, Admit1MBA
www.admit1mba.com
If you find my post helpful, please let me know by pushing the thank button.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by Dozie@VeritasPrep » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:05 pm
I would not lose too much sleep on this one, I would succinctly explain the situation especially if you have taken upper level courses in the subject area and scored well. Your GPA is high overall so they will be a bit more forgiving here. Also, if you worked a ton in college make sure to spell that out. Getting a 3.7 and working a part-time job and AdComm will want to know how you spent your time in college as well.

Hope this helps!
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:54 am
Agreed with the other posters here - a few lines in the optional essay and make sure you call attention to the fact that you put yourself through school - that says a lot about you!
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:54 am
Agreed with the other posters here - a few lines in the optional essay and make sure you call attention to the fact that you put yourself through school - that says a lot about you!
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:12 am
Shouldn't be too much of an issue to just address this in an optional essay. However, the fact that it happened twice will definitely be a question in the mind of some admission committee reviewers. The cynic would say why weren't you planning ahead and how did you twice find jobs midway through a semester that happened to occur in the middle of somewhat difficult classes. So just be prepared for those kinds of questions.