750+ strategy for a working mother

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

750+ strategy for a working mother

by amrutha_r » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:31 am
Hi All,
I am a mother of 2 kids under 3 years and working full time. I am all charged up to not settle for a score below 750.. I do not have a strict timeline in mind for taking the GMAT but I want to give it my best shot..what would be a good study strategy for me??

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:59 am
I am the father of a one-year-old, so I appreciate the unique challenge presented here. First, you'll want to set up a detailed study schedule. Give yourself at least 2-3 months to prepare. Consistency is more important than the total amount of time invested - it's much better to put in 1 -2 hours a day than it is to do the occasional marathon 5-6 hours sessions, which, I imagine, aren't really an option for you anyway. During the week, study time will probably only be possible after the kids have gone down in the evening. (My daughter goes down at 7, so if it were me, I'd shoot for something like 7:30 - 9.) On weekends, this may require looking into baby-sitting, or developing some ninja-like skills timing your study blocks to match nap-times.

Next, consider getting some good apps. These are perfect for sneaking in a 15-20 minute session. Our entire course is available for free via our app: https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat-iphone-apps/

Work through the Official Guide: https://www.amazon.com/Official-Review-O ... guide+gmat

Use an error log to track what kinds of mistakes you tend to make:https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-error-log

You'll want to schedule consistent practice exams. Eventually, you'll take one per week. Take the free ones from mba.com. Buy the two additional tests there: https://www.mba.com/us/store/store-catal ... ack-1.aspx

When you dissect your practice exams, make a list of strategic adjustments you can make before the next test. Do drills to address categorical weaknesses.

Keep us posted!
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by amrutha_r » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:44 am
Hi David,
I would really like to thank you very much for the quick response and appreciate your detailed explanation.

I will definitely download the Veritas app.
I started prep about 2 weeks back and I did the diagnostic test from the official guide and started with problem solving
I am trying to spend about 2 hrs every week day and 4 hours on weekend.

I am also using the Prep4gmat app..what is ur opinion on this one??

I also did all questions from the GMAT prep software..

My biggest challenge is the time/space to take a full length practise test..
I may have to get up sometime early in the morning so I have some silence in the house..but really I can't fix a particular time since my younger one is only 6 months and her sleep time varies..do you know any centre which I can use only for taking practise tests may be for a fee??

I will keep you posted as I progress along.

Once again I really appreciate your suggestions.

by amrutha_r » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:44 am
Hi David,
I would really like to thank you very much for the quick response and appreciate your detailed explanation.

I started prep about 2 weeks back and I did the diagnostic test from the official guide and started with problem solving

I may have to get up sometime early in the morning so I have some silence in the house..but really I can't fix a particular time since my younger one is only 6 months and her sleep time varies..do you know any centre which I can use only for taking practise tests may be for a fee??

by amrutha_r » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:51 am
Hi David,

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:25 am
Hi amrutha_r,

Since you're not on a specific timeline, I'm curious about your overall goals (besides scoring 750+):

1) When are you thinking about applying to Business School?
2) Have you thought about which School(s) you want to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by amrutha_r » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:38 am
Hi Rich,
As I have 2 small kids, I need to be a little flexible on the timeline.

I am planning to apply within the next 2 years.
As I live and work in NJ, I am looking to do an EMBA from Columbia or NYU..I am very much interested in Booth and Wharton as well but not sure if I will be able to do it with a job in NJ...

by amrutha_r » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:41 am
A little more background about me- I have a bachelors in Information Technology and about 10 years of work experience.

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:00 am
I usually just recommend going to a library to take a practice test. (Though if your daughter is anything like mine was at six months, you may have difficulty finding libraries that are open at 4:45 am:)
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by amrutha_r » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:45 pm
Ha ha...totally agree..I have the same problem :-)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by Rich@EconomistGMAT » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:24 am
Hi amrutha_r,

We wrote about how to juggle preparing for the GMAT with a full time job recently. While your challenges are unique with your responsibilities to your children, I think these tips could be helpful to you as well. You can check out the article here: https://bit.ly/1IHcjsJ

Best,
Rich