Planning For GMAT

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Planning For GMAT

by rahulzlpr » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:19 am
Hi I am a full time working professional with 3 years of experience as a Business Analyst in an IT firm. I have already done an MBA in finance from a descent B school in India. However I feel i need to give my career a boost as I feel I am stuck up in a job where i am heading nowhere and it is quite hard to switch to another profile. Hence I am contemplating appearing for GMAT next year and getting into a good B school which provides me with great exposure and fulfills my desire to work in the financial domain. Now kindly advise if doing an MBA again via GMAT will benefit me in the long run. Also I intend to appear for the exam in June 2016. Kindly advise me on the following:

1) If this time is ideal and when shall I kickstart my preparation for the same i.e. what should be time span?
2) After going through some of the comments in the forums I have figured out some of the following material that will aid me in getting a good score (700+ and around 750). These are as follows:
a) GMAT OG REVIEW 2016
b) Manhattan SC guide
c) Aristotle SC,CR,RC Grails
d) Manhattan advanced quant (please share your views on this)
e) For testing purpose using MGMATs and GMAT PREPs

Kindly let me know your views on this and also share your list of recommended study material to ace the test.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:23 am
Hi rahulzlpr,

Your list focuses heavily on GMAT-related books, which might cause you a problem later on. Many Test Takers who take a 'book heavy' study approach tend to get 'stuck' at a particular scoring level. To score at the highest level, you'll likely want to invest in a GMAT Course of some type (and focus most of your time on computer-based resources).

Since you already have an MBA, have you taken the GMAT before? If so, then what were your scores?

If you're planning to start your studies soon, it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH CAT test (you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com). A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so you should make sure to set aside enough time so that you can do so in one sitting. If you want to spend a little time familiarizing yourself with the content that appears on the GMAT, then that would be fine, but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by rahulzlpr » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:53 pm
Hey rich,

I haven't taken GMAT before..so I read through these forums to get a feel of how to approach the exam.Also since I am a full time working professional enrolling in a course will not be viable for me as I will not be able to devote time for self study which I believe is paramount to one's success. Also I am kinda uncomfortable with the idea of attending a course as I like to learn by myself at my own pace. I am descent in Quant's though weak in areas such as geometry so I believe I can learn the concepts by myself following these forums whenever I need any assistance.also a lot of guys I came across in the forums were working professionals who took the self study and chalked out a solid plan to help them reach their goals. Most of these guys kept the gmat preps for the end before the actual exam so they could really guage their preparation and use these tests diligently.So just advise me if self study is the route I take how to succeed and also advise on the books I mentioned and how to work on them. I intend to take the GMAT next year in June so advise me if this would be the right time and suggest when to start my preparation accordingly.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:06 am
"Hi,

Thanks for reaching out. First of all, you need to do bit of introspection as to "WHY SECOND MBA", if you can convince yourself, then you should think ahead about the strategy to convince the school. The justification provided by you is pretty generic and it'll take more than that to justify the case. There are plenty of school that will accept "Double MBA" and if the university where you did the MBA provides a PGDM degree then you are also eligible for almost all the schools. To address the opportunity bit, the advantage will depend upon the networking and interaction that you will do with the peers and alums and also the various initiatives that you take while pursuing "second MBA".

1) The time is ideal, you can start the preparation. The deadlines for the Fall 2016 intake will be around Sept-Oct, so you can plan your GMAT anywhere between June to Early August.
2) To answer about the best prep material, I would advise you to reach out to the nearest Manya-The Princeton Review center to have a face to face discussion with the faculty themselves, as they will be able to answer your queries much better."

ALL THE BEST!!

https://www.manyagroup.com/
Best wishes,
Team Manya-The Princeton Review

E:[email protected]
T: 1800-102-4646
www.manyagroup.com

https://bit.ly/1OSgiTP