Kellogg v Booth showdown - help please

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Kellogg v Booth showdown - help please

by omwtobschool » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:11 am
Hi everyone,

New poster here - been lurking for a while. I'm a Class of 2010 from the University of Chicago and am thinking about applying for Kellogg MBA program. I am currently working as a strategy consultant in a boutique firm and am taking the GMAT soon in order to apply in the upcoming year. As an undergraduate, I studied Economics and took 5 classes at Booth (undergrad and graduate sections) so I am familiar with Booth's well-known rigor and focus on economic theory.

After meeting various Kellogg alums I am sold on the school, with its friendly atmosphere and emphasis on teamwork. In my experience Booth students do not lack those qualities but I wanted to hear other people's opinions. I intend to advance in my consulting career (Kellogg seems like the obvious winner if so) and possibly move into the healthcare or education space later on. B-school hopefully will help me figure that out. Booth is known for finance but has an extremely flexible curriculum, rigorous academics, and a higher ranking.

What other perks about Kellogg sell it over Booth, and vice versa?

Thank you in advance.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Alexbr@ClearAdmit » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:02 pm
I would consider these two schools pretty comparable in terms of prestige and rankings (you noted Booth had a higher rank). I would imagine you will end up applying to both, then determine, once admitted, where to go. By that time, the application process will have helped you uncover some of the nuances.

Fit and specific course work and EC resources that suit your specific needs will become more important. For now, I would focus on getting as strong as a GMAT score as you can, and plan on developing both applications ? cheers, alex
New Book! Becoming a Clear Admit: The Definitive Guide to MBA Admissions. https://www.clearadmit.com/products/admi ... dmissions/

by omwtobschool » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:06 pm
I am also considering hybrid online/on-campus models that allow me to finish my schoolwork flexibly. What would you say of the following schools:

- UCLA FEMBA Flex (only required to be on-campus 4 times a quarter)
- UMich Ross (with 30% of coursework done online)
- UNC Kenan-Flagler Online MBA (100% online)

...In terms of prestige and network gains, compared to Booth/Kellogg?

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Alexbr@ClearAdmit » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:24 pm
honestly they are a step behind in terms of prestige and rankings, a step ahead in terms of convenience for the candidate. An MBA is a lot about what you are willing to commit, the more you commit, the more you can gain in terms of networks and relationships. IF you are only after technical skills, then this would not be so important. just a few thoughts. cheers, alex
New Book! Becoming a Clear Admit: The Definitive Guide to MBA Admissions. https://www.clearadmit.com/products/admi ... dmissions/

by omwtobschool » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:01 am
Would you say that Kellogg's PT program replicates the social and fun-loving atmosphere of the FT program? I'm not sure how much that carries over, and how much different Kellogg's PT program is from Booth's.

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Alexbr@ClearAdmit » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:38 am
without being directly familiar with the two atmospheres of the programs, I can hardly imagine any PT program is able to replicate what the same school's full time program can provide. The very nature of a part time program is that the students have work priorities outside the classroom, so cannot be as engaged. hope that helps. cheers, alex

Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:39 pm
I can tell you from experience that if you care about the social aspect of business school, do not go PT! Not being on campus everyday will really hinder your social experience. It will be harder to join in on happy hours and club events. Plus, going PT makes recruiting more difficult.