Applying in a year...Help needed in choosing schools for MFE

Launched January 9, 2010
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Hi,

I am using this opportunity to discuss a small point regarding my candidature and I do know that assessing a candidate success in admission application is subjective and depends on the pool as well. However I just require a small feedback.

I am an Engineering graduate from one of the top 20 colleges of India majoring in production engineering.( NITs which come below the prestigious IITs). Currently I work with an American bulge bracket bank in their fixed income division as an analyst.

I have a GMAT of 710 but a GPA of only 6.96 / 10.

My poor GPA is a result of my poor performance during my first year of college due to my extreme health conditions. ( I HAD 6-7 F GRADES IN MY FIRST YEAR). I wasn't able to attend majority of classes apart from being able to deliver good performance due to my extremely poor mindset all because of my health condition as stated above. My college uses our first year performance to put across our final GPA in its heuristics hence the poor Final GPA.( MATHS ARE ONLY C & D GRADES).

My class topper had a GPA of 8.5 hence my class standing will be around 16/45.

I know that I am in a bad position to apply to MFE since they state a minimum of 8.5 ( and F grades are heavily shunned too!!) for Indian students.Actually in my class only the topper received a GA of 8.5/10 and this has been the tradition in my department for quite some years.

Now this is my only demerit as far as academics are concerned.

MY Advantages are :

1. My professors kinda knew my situation( Bad health-->read asthma attacks --> absenteeism) but since they had to follow protocol of the college board they gave me lower grades despite my performance during my 2nd,3rd & 4th year. However they are willing to write a good Recommendation letter of a high level note including citings from the dean and HOD highlighting my special case. My professors include a current IIM ( top B school India) Asst Professor & my faculty advisor who is a NUS post grad ( Australian and Singaporean government scholarship holder)can vehemently state my cause and condition in my LORs apart from giving a stellar recommendation, plus I can give in a medical certificate as well)

2. I have taken EXTENSION COURSES(3 MATH & 3 FIN) from UC Berkeley in maths and finance ( total 6) straight A's.

3. Have a good score in GRE SUBJECT MATHS( different from the General GRE)

4. 2 Thesis on Mathematical modelling of financial models using Linear Programming and Advanced Genetic Algorithm( modeled in R) respectively that is to be immediately published in an international journal. I am further planning to present this in a conference.

5. I am a CFA level 3 candidate and a FRM charter holder

6. Good Extracurricular ( Elected Campus ambassador(Micro Finance), Lead Fundraiser(Green Peace), appreciation certificates etc)

I sincerely request you to look into my case and candidature and give a suggestion from your side regarding this. I would be highly obliged if you could advise me on the probable schools i can target.

Carnegie Mellon University LSE Financial Mathematics
Computational Finance

Columbia University Oxford MFE
New York, NY Financial Engineering

Princeton University Imperial MFE
Princeton, NJ Master in Finance

Baruch College, City University of New York
New York, NY Financial Engineering

University of California, Berkeley
Berkeley, CA Financial Engineering

New York University
New York, NY Mathematics in Finance

Columbia University
New York, NY Mathematics of Finance

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA Master of Finance

Cornell University
Ithaca, NY MEng, FE concentration

Georgia Institute of Technology
Atlanta, GA Quantitative and Computational Finance

University of California, Los Angeles
Los Angeles, CA Financial Engineering

Rutgers University
New Brunswick, NJ Mathematical Finance

University of Toronto
Toronto, Canada Mathematical Finance

Boston University
Boston, MA Mathematical Finance

University of Chicago
Chicago, IL Financial Mathematics

NYU Polytechnic School of Engineering
Brooklyn, NY Financial Engineering

Rutgers University
Newark, NJ Quantitative Finance

Fordham University
New York, NY Quantitative Finance

Johns Hopkins University
Baltimore, MD Financial Mathematics

University of Illinois
Urbana, IL Financial Engineering

University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI Financial Engineering

University of Minnesota
Minneapolis, MN Financial Mathematics

University of Washington
Seattle, WA Computational Finance & Risk Management

Claremont Graduate University
Claremont, CA Financial Engineering

Illinois Institute of Technology
Chicago, IL

James

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:68 members
GMAT Score:750

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:14 am
duplicate post
Bryant Michaels
MBA Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options