I Scored 760 and broke the 99 percentile barrier (Q50;V-42)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:2 members
I wrote my GMAT yesterday and am thrilled to score 760. I studied for around 4 months for this test. My target was 720 and I am really happy with this score.
Books and test material used:

SC - Manhattan sentence correction guide .This is a gold mine .After getting comfortable with grammar rules I solved all questions related to sentence correction in the verbal review guide.

CR - I studied from power score critical reasoning bible .....This book is really comprehensive and really gives an insight into how creators of the test frame questions. This is a big plus point and the book is freely available for download on the internet (Pm me if you need to know from where you can download it for free).

RC - I used LSAT RC bible and also used LSAT official super prep guide. I never wrote down summary of the passage which was contrary to the advice given in the book as well as the expert on the forum. The reason being one is always short of time and then writing notes will slow the process even more.

Quants - I felt comfortable in quants section. Howsoever with Data sufficiency you need to get comfortable with the tricks and traps that the creators of the test throw at you. I solved DS questions from OG and then GMAT prep questions pack. Pay attention to Probability, Permutation and combination , Number system , coordinate Geometry and sets (double matrix etc )

I brushed up quants theory part from:

https://www.purplemath.com/

I also visited khan academy website .here is the URL

https://www.khanacademy.org/test-prep/gmat

Also after writing GMAT prep few times when I saw questions getting repeated .I wanted to solve more GMAT Sample questions. I came across the website

https://gmatsamplequestions.net/gmat-sample-questions/

This website had questions from Gprep that I had not encountered in my Gprep earlier. Solving questions from this website was quite helpful.

Test DAY:

AWA - treat this as a warm up section. Chinese burned AWA template was the one I used.

IR - questions in this section were really tough .... I never wanted exhaustion before the marathon would begin. I would be happy with a score of 5 here .Left 4 questions in this section.

Quants section: started with a mid-level difficulty question on time and speed and distance . I solved this correctly . Then 4-5 DS Question followed and every now and then few tough questions came . I went by the rule no more than 3 minutes per question And if I got a complicated geometry question (my weak area) then I will leave it as soon as I can . I was able to finish this section with 2 minutes to spare.

Verbal section : the test started with SC ... and mid-way through the test it became really difficult ...I had to guess few questions in between else I would never be able to finish the test on time . I was able to finish this section with 50 seconds left on clock .

When the screen showed 760 .... I checked it once again and it was obvious that I will never cancel the score and cherish this score for 5 years (on a lighter note ) !!!
Let me know if I can be of any help to future test takers . Feel free to PM me. It will be a honour for me if I can help people.

by Varun Balraj » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:23 am
Brilliant. How do you maintain your confidence level during the test?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by vivek1303 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:44 am
Congrats, mate! Great story..! kudos

by chrisomondi » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:55 pm
Thanks a lot for the inspiration. Please advise on the download link to the study material you wanted to share

Email address is [email protected]

by jhavibha » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:16 am
Hi,

How many hours per day you have given for your preparation?

Congrats for the awesome score.

Regards,
Vibha

by jhavibha » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:16 am
Hi,

How many hours per day you have given for your preparation?

Congrats for the awesome score.

Regards,
Vibha

by pS1 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:04 am
Hi,

Ple send me the links for the study materials to download.

Thanks
Parth

by shailesh19 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:46 am
Hi

Congratulations for mind boggling score.

Please guide how many hours and how may hours it took to reach the score.

Regards-Shailesh