URGENT: Profile evaluation & guidance on school selectio

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
27 year old, Indian Female

1) Brief description of experience :
- 4 years experience in the largest steel producer in India. Positions ranging from core operations management to corporate strategy, business development to corporate communication. Worked on medium-term & long-term corporate strategy of a $8 million(in annual revenues) government owned company, further I work on the assessment and action-plan for strategic alliances/JVs/M&A. In addition to all this I'm also part of group which handles investor relations and enables corporate level interface with government of India and world steel association(WSA).

2) GRE : 311 ; yet to receive TOEFL score

3) GPA : 3.7; top 10% of the class , majored in Manufacturing Science & Engineering

4)Additional:
- youngest person in the organization(with 1 lac employees) to win the best younger manager award
- exposure to steel industry in Japan & China
- founding member of rotary club chapter
- recognized as child scientist, represented India in Indo-Germany exchange program

5)Short-term & Long-term Goals: Post MBA, I'm inclined to pursue management consulting at one of the Big 3 companies and seek assignments in the manufacturing sector.Consulting will build upon my present experience of business development in a government owned metals & mining company and MBA learnings, by providing diverse exposure and a structured approach to tackle cases. In the long-run, I plan to specialize in growth and go-to-market strategies in the manufacturing sector with regards to international business development, playing an integral role in corporate strategy and leading the sustainable expansion of the organization in the emerging economies.

As I'm keen on applying with GRE score, I would appreciate if you can provide a list of target schools and a brief profile evaluation.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:31 pm
Hello,

Thanks for posting. It sounds like you have some solid work experience to draw from, and a great undergrad performance. As far as the GRE scores, what was the quant/verbal split, as that tends to matter even more on GRE since they don't often add the 2 scores together as often... and a very-skewed performance could also raise concerns. You've got some involvement and it sounds like you've put some thought into your goals. In terms of specific schools, you'd want to be in-range via test scores and generally schools in the 15-40 or so range may be of interest?? But there are so many factors when choosing schools... country; geographic region; urban/rural setting; class size; recruitment from the school; strengths in curriculum; diversity of class etc. For more on choosing schools, check out our free download at: https://info.mbamission.com/Selecting-Yo ... ram-E-Book. Good luck and keep us posted!
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

by 13_divyasha » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:46 am
Thanks for the encouraging words, my section break-up is Quants-158 & Verbal - 153.
I know my scores are on the lower side w.r.t an international applicant.

My current experience is in the lines of internal consulting of a $8 billion dollar company. Further, I intend to build upon this and join a consulting firm. I think Schools beyond top 25 would not help me reach where I intend to.

I understand one should be realistic during the school selection, Pointers on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

by mbaMissionJenK » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:05 pm
Sure thing; well I think at present then your best chances will be in the 15-25 range approximately. If you are determined to add a school above that do it for one reach option for example. Otherwise see what you can do and know that your essays will make a big difference so be sure to put a lot of time and effort into them!
Jennifer Kedrowski
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

by 13_divyasha » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:57 am
Hi,
Continuing from where we left, I re-took GMAT and scored 600. I was scoring 700-740 in my mocks, but froze in the real one. All I can day is that I'm a bad test taker. Should this deter me from pursuing business education from a top business school?
I don't intend to take another shot. Would really appreciate if you can share your opinion.
Regards

GMAT/MBA Expert

by mbaMissionJenK » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:19 pm
Hi there,

Hmm, what practice tests (i.e. GMAT Prep, Kaplan, Manhattan GMAT etc) were you scoring 700-740?? As someone who taught/tutored GMAT prep for almost a decade, in my experience if you were scoring in that range on reputable/quality practice tests, then that would indicate that you CAN do similarly well on the actual exam... and in that case then yes perhaps you just 'froze' and had a bad case of anxiety or nerves. To be honest in that scenario I usually suggest just booking another test date asap and trying it once more! What have you got to lose (besides the exam fee). Schools take the highest score. There's a certain margin of error and variability in the exam anyway (i.e. you could take it the next day and do 30+ points better or worse), and maybe if you take the pressure OFF you'll find you relax and exceed your expectations! Just something to consider! ;)

If you hadn't gotten those practice test scores I wouldn't suggest that per se but just want to mention!

Otherwise, with a 600 it will be tough to get into the higher-ranked schools, just look over their average GMAT scores for an idea of how competitive they are, but schools with averages of say 640-680 might be feasible with a great application. Keep doing your research and consider the above, good luck!
Jennifer Kedrowski
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]