Test in 43 days and I'm still scoring low 600s HELP

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello experts,

I've been studying for the exam on and off for the past two month, but my score isn't improving. I'm reading through the Manhattan GMAT books and also practicing questions from the Official Guide, but I'm not sure my study strategy is effective.

I feel like I'm struggling in every section, but I know my Reading Comp is my weakest. I've taken 2 practice exams, and scored in the low 600s for both. After each exam, I focus on my weakest section and I spend the next week reviewing techniques to improve that section. I've done this for all 5 sections, but I haven't see an improvement.

Now my test is coming up and I'm freaking out! I think I have enough time to raise my score, but I don't know what's the best strategy. Please advise!

Thanks in advance,
Annie

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by Rich@EconomistGMAT » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:54 am
Hi anniechoww,

Can you provide us with more detailed breakdowns of your previous practice scores? It sounds like your book-heavy approach has led to a bit of a plateau and it might be time to consider additional online resources to practice some test-taking strategies. I'm also curious to know more about when you're hoping to apply for business school, as well as what your target score is.

Best,
Rich

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:55 am
Hi Annie,

43 days is still plenty of time to prepare, so you shouldn't be too concerned just yet. I'd like to know a bit more about the work you've done so far:

1) How long have you been CONSISTENTLY studying for the GMAT ("on and off" is too vague a term)?
2) On your 2 CATs, did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)?
3) What were your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on the 2 CATs?

4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by anniechoww » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:28 am
Hello Rich and Rich,

Thank you for your response!

1) I've been consistently studying (every day) for the GMAT for the last month. "On and off" for two months meaning 3-4 days a week.
2) For one of my CAT tests, I took the entire CAT test, for the other one, I only took Quant and Verbal.
3) Test #1: 570 (Q38, V30); Test #2: 610 (Q39, V34)
4) Goal score 730-750
5) I'm planning on applying for round 2 (January), but if I can't get the score I want, I will test again and apply next year.

I recently started using gmat bellcurves to track more specifically my areas of weakness, but I noticed for the sentence correction questions, some of the explanations do not align with the MGMAT books. At that point, I follow MGMAT. What else can I be doing? How can I improve my score even more?

Thank you for your advice and suggestions!

Annie

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:44 am
Hi Annie,

With a Round 2 application deadline, it's not clear why you're planning to take the GMAT in 6 weeks (since you have considerably more time than that until January). Considering your score goal, you're likely going to need MORE time than you've allotted.

Many Test Takers who use a 'book heavy' study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular scoring level and that's likely what's happening to you. To score 720+, you're likely going to need to invest in a GMAT Course of some type. Thankfully, there are plenty of options to choose from. Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at out site (www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

If you have any additional question, then just let me know.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by vivek1303 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:40 am
Hi,

Firstly, if you are scoring below 600 on MGMAT tests then it should not be a major worry for MGMAT tests are a very strict indicator of the actual exam. Not necessarily, but students, including myself, end up scoring an easy 40-50 points over their MGMAT scores.

Secondly, if RC is your weakest then the best you can do is do more RC. You can download RC practice sets from betthegmat and do left, right and center. Also, their is a good RC bible pdf available which is pretty exhaustive from practice point of view.

43 days is a lot of time, so best of luck!

by anniechoww » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:15 am
Thank you Vivek1303! I'm going to download the RC practice sets from beatthegmat and work on those.

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:59 am
Annie,

It is extremely common for rest-takers not to see improvement on the first few practice tests. The format, logic, and pacing of the exam take a little time to get acclimated to. As Rich noted, reading voraciously is the best way to improve on reading comprehension. (The research on this is fascinating. When we read more, our brains change quickly. See here: https://www.theatlantic.com/education/ar ... in/282952/

Last, make sure you're incorporating a good amount of official material into your study plan. The most important practice tests you'll take will be from mba.com.

Keep us posted..
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:49 am
anniechoww wrote: I feel like I'm struggling in every section, but I know my Reading Comp is my weakest.
Hi Annie,

When it comes to Reading Comprehension (RC), I don't believe that there's one specific approach that works best for everyone. I always recommend that students spend some time experimenting with different strategies to see which one best suits their memory, reading speed and English proficiency.

Having said that, when reading ANY Reading Comprehension (RC) passage, it's crucial that you engage 100% in the passage. So, rather than approach a new passage with dread ("I don't enjoy reading it at all"), try to feign interest ("Excellent! This passage is about stock market regulations in Peru!"). The better your engagement, the better the results.

You'll find additional tips to help you better engage with the passage in this free video: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... on?id=1123

If you're interested, we have a complete set of free videos covering all sorts of Reading Comprehension strategies: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... prehension

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com