How to score 700+in 1 month

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

How to score 700+in 1 month

by Rashirocks » Tue May 05, 2015 8:50 pm
Hi, I am 26 years old Indian IT Female. I have taken 1 month leave for GMAT Preparation as I am targetting ISB for class of 2016. I am pretty average student and targetting score of 700+ in 1 month preparation. Does my plan looks feasible. Please comment.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed May 06, 2015 9:45 am
Hi Rashirocks,

Most Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) on their studies to hit their "peak" scores. With just 1 month, you might not have given yourself enough time to hit your goals.

Have you taken a FULL-LENGTH CAT test yet? If you have, then what were your scores. If you have not, then you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com; a FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to do so in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here.

When is the application deadline that you're facing?
Have you scheduled your GMAT yet?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by AdamMac » Sun May 10, 2015 10:43 am
Rashirocks wrote:Hi, I am 26 years old Indian IT Female. I have taken 1 month leave for GMAT Preparation as I am targetting ISB for class of 2016. I am pretty average student and targetting score of 700+ in 1 month preparation. Does my plan looks feasible. Please comment.
Hi Rashirocks,

I think you posted in the wrong forum. I think your question should go in the Strategy forum:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-strategy-f3.html

I clicked your post hoping to discover how you scored 700 in one month, LOL. Thanks!

by ravimehta » Tue May 12, 2015 11:33 pm
Even i have the same prep duration Could someone suggest any strategy and material?

by [email protected] » Wed May 13, 2015 1:13 am
hey rashi,

I myself will be applying for ISb class of 2016 so i will advice you keeping in mind the final targets you need to achieve.

Your Target-the average GMAt score of the ISB class last year was 711,so a score around or above that would be great to start with.
Timeline-The last date to apply this year in ISB is 15 october (so your date to appear for GMAT should be minimum 2 months before dat).

So now that you know that your GMAT exam date should lie in July August 2015,
You need to squeeze in 100 Hours of prep and 50 hours of just test taking to ensure a good GMAT score (between today 13 May and end of July) which i think is like an awesum 2 months.

I think the most potent weapon now with you to beat the GMat are the 30 days of leave from work. Please use it extremely stratigically. Very few working ppl actually get it,so use it to the best of your advantage.

Do not take the leaves in early phase of prep, u may work and then squeeze in 2 hours of study each day and this way you can complete 60-90 hours of prep in one month till mid June . Keep in mind to keep giving tests short or long ones, to enable very active learning.Seek help from E GMat or some other test prep for verbals ( believe me SC is a little tough, so expert guidance is needed)

Then by mid june till the GMAT day in July end (which is also your leave zone) you can put in close to 6 hours each day.
With the last 10 days before GMAT just for full length tests. 1 full length 3 1/2 hours test each day for the lsat 10 days.

With this i think you can soar way above the needed score.

All the best!!.
If i make it to ISb, will see you there.

Sumit

Followed by:1 members

by TheViceroy » Wed May 13, 2015 7:42 am
Hi rashirocks, I've been very systematic about verbal, and I've gone from 31 to consistently 42 or better. I prepped a little for the LSAT when I was in college, so I think that in all fairness that may have helped a bit, but, here are the things that have I've methodically worked on: not skimming, paying MASSIVE attention to everything I read. I pretend that the clock isn't even running when I read, and my engagement is way better, and ironically, so is my pacing. I'm using all of my time, and investing it in the right places.

The CR Box, and RC Ladder systems have helped to make CR and RC systematic. You have to know you're SC errors cold, but perhaps even more importantly, you know how to identify each one from the answers and the original sentence itself.

Rather than being haphazard about it, having a specific game plan in place, and being methodical about each process has been key. I think that anyone can improve with a specific plan, and determination to develop the necessary skills.

by Rashirocks » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:30 am
Hi,

I have scheduled my GMAT on 10th Aug. I have taken 2 Manhattan GMAT Tests. My scores are respectively 580(Q 44, V26) and 640(Q 47, V31). Is 2 months enough for preparation. I was able to bring this score after 1 month of preparation. The Manhattan tests are little bit tougher than main GMAT.

With this, Please find my profile below.

10th - 87%
12th - 79%
Electronics & Electrical Engg from a Deemed University - 79%

I have total of 4 years of work experience as IT analyst in MNC, working for client JP Morgan Chase.
Apart from this, at college level had won several prizes in intercollegiate competitions - such as business plan, technical paper presentation and essay writing conducted by ISTE etc.

At corporate level also,I have been part of several events like dance, fashion shows and organizing events for new joiners etc.

What are my chances of getting into ISB if my score is 710+ ?

Please suggest.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:14 am
Hi Rashirocks,

2 months is plenty of time for you to continue to study and hit your score goals. You have to use that time effectively though.

When you took these CATs, did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?

Since the latter part of this post is really asking about Admissions, you might want to post to the Admissions Experts in their Forum:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/ask-an-mba-a ... t-f40.html

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by [email protected] » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:36 pm
hey,
great improvement by the way!.

Going past the cut off GMAT score is like being eligible for the first round of screening. A strong gmat will support whatever you write in the essays and utter in the interview.
I have read a lot about interviews of applicants, who possess a gmat score way above the average and still get rejected in the end.
The credentials and achievements are just fine. From what i understand about the approach to application, which is also a clear differentiater between acceptance and rejection is the clarity of thought i.e.- LINKING THE EVENTS THAT U JUST MENTIONED ABOVE.

For example:- u mentioned about the achievements in college, your credentials, yr current assignments.
You could create a very wholesome application if you would be able to connect all these points together and connect it to your goals post MBA, your long term plans and your aspirations. The admissions committee would be looking for clarity of thought, focus and ability to survive the program and benefit from it.

You could further dig into your current assignments, activities with friends, family, social circles and put together many events to be able to show yourself as an applicant who possesses all the required qualities of prospective ISB student. The best way to prove something is not by just saying it, but by giving evidence of having done it and if that evidence is repetitive through multiple different events, then the quality becomes evident.

So instead of looking out, look within and try to look for more life events. Not necessary to have done works like - worked on some hot shot high level assignment with big impact but even small scale events can give away a lot of details about your self.

I remember reading through a small post on admissions and i am going to use it this year for admissions and you may use it too i.e.- TO LOOK WITHIN and TO BE YOURSELF (a small lesson on values too D, do put in everythin in the application that you actually believe in than what would be best for the application) when putting evrything together.

I hope i havnt made lot of SC errors in this post. I need to work hard on that D.
All the best!!.