Stumped by GMAT..570..(Q48,V20)...:(

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Stumped by GMAT..570..(Q48,V20)...:(

by aksiit007 » Wed May 27, 2015 1:26 am
Hello all,

I am writing this post to get some real good advice on improving my verbal score.I was stumped in the GMAT yesterday...:(It was the lowest score among all the previous practice tests,real GMAT and GMAT Prep tests.My Practice tests score were:

MGMAT1: 630....
MGMAT2: 650...
MGMAT3: 690...(untimed)
MGMAT4: Verbal only....(V35)
GMAT prep 1:650(Q49,V31)
GMAT prep 2:650(Q49,V32)
GMAT prep 1(retake)...730...(Q49,V37)
GMAT prep 2(reatke)...710(Q50,V35)

GMAT......570(Q48,V20)....

The only thing that I am able to figure out is the mental fatigue during the test day.I did not sleep properly the night before the test.I got to have only 2-3 hours of sleep.I am really upset with this score as my target score is 720+.Also ,please suggest some additional verbal material to cross the 40+ mark in verbal.So,can sleeplessness bring down my score to such extent??>>:(

Currently,the prep materials used:
OG13
OG VR
OG QR
Manhattan SC+CR+RC
Manhattan Quant guides
MGMAT
GMAT Prep.

Thanks a lot.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed May 27, 2015 7:31 pm
Hi aksiit007,

To answer your immediate question - YES, a poor night's sleep could absolutely impact your performance.

There are broader issues with how you practiced that have to be addressed. Your 3 highest CAT scores occurred under unrealistic conditions (an untimed MGMAT CAT and 2 GMAC re-takes). As such, we can't rely on any of those scores as accurate measures of your ability. As you continue to study, you have to put an emphasis on taking your CATs in a realistic and test-like fashion, including taking the ENTIRE CAT, taking it away from your home at the same time of day as your Official GMAT, not doing ANYTHING that you can't do on Test Day (listening to music, pausing the CAT, etc.), taking a *new* CAT with questions that you haven't seen before, etc.

Given your other CAT scores, I'd put you in the low-to-mid-600s. The sleep problem you had the night before could very easily have brought you down to 570 (especially later in the Test when you really would start to feel the fatigue).

Since you've defined your score goal, I'd like to know a bit more about your overall timeline/plans:

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) Have you thought about what Schools you want to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by aksiit007 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:15 am
Hi Rich,

Thanks for your response.I completely agree with you that I have to follow strict exam like conditions to take the GMAT practices.

1)I am planning to apply in September,2015 to top 20 US colleges.That's why,I am focused at 720+ mark in GMAT.

I need some advice regarding the points mentioned below:

1)I checked my ESR and found that I scored really bad in SC.I already followed Manhattan guide,but still I am not feeling too confident in SC.So,should I switch to some other Verbal materials(like Veritas,Powerscore,etc).Please suggest.

2)For the remaining sections of the Verbal(CR+RC),Please suggest excellent resources.(Currently,I am following manhattan guides).

Thanks in advance.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members

by [email protected] » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:42 am
Hi aksiit007,

With a V20, you'll need to put in some serious work on all 3 Verbal categories (SC, RC and CR) to raise your score to a V40+.

Another aspect of your studies that might have been problematic is that you took a 'book heavy' study approach. Many Test Takers get 'stuck' at a particular scoring level when working in this way. You'll likely benefit from investing in some computer-based resources and working specifically on learning (and practicing) Verbal tactics.

Have you scheduled your next GMAT yet? If so, then when is it?

Since you've already put in some serious study time, I think that you'd find the EMPOWERgmat Verbal Score Booster to be quite helpful - most of our clients can finish that Study Plan in less than a month, so you could conceivably retake the GMAT relatively soon and hit your goals. We have a variety of free resources on our site (www.empowergmat.com) that you can use to 'test out' the Course.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members

by MartyMurray » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:44 am
I tend to agree with Rich, that you need to do more on screen work and play this test more like the video game that it is and learn to get right answers more consistently.

Also, obviously that lack of sleep was enough to drag you down enough that your verbal score was not what you normally get.

I also feel that you need to make sure to notice what Rich said about doing better on all three aspects of verbal. You didn't get all RC and CR right and score V20, and you won't score high without getting good at them too. I have seen cases in which people somehow decided that they only needed to work on "these one or two things" and then they would achieve their target score. The truth was that they were focusing on their weakest areas and didn't see that right behind those areas were more areas that could use plenty of work too.

For another decent source of verbal questions you could try the Veritas question bank. The SC questions may seem unorthodox at times, but you can definitely learn from them.

One thing to realize is that because GMAT verbal is very logic and reasoning based, the logical skills, vision, hacking skills and reasoning skills that you are using to score Q48 - Q49 can be used to achieve a high verbal score too. GMAT SC is very hackable. Check out what a key guy at GMAC has to say about it.

https://www.mba.com/us/the-gmat-blog-hub ... -exam.aspx

What does that mean? Among other things it may mean that putting aside the books, for a least some of the time, and getting to work on your GMAT verbal hacking skills is you best next step.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:46 members

by EducationAisle » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:15 am
aksiit007 wrote: 1)I checked my ESR and found that I scored really bad in SC.I already followed Manhattan guide,but still I am not feeling too confident in SC.So,should I switch to some other Verbal materials(like Veritas,Powerscore,etc).Please suggest.
Hi aksiit07! Since you specifically mention sentence correction, thought I would highlight that our sentence correction book Sentence Correction Nirvana is perhaps the only book that offers a score improvement guarantee, and is especially designed for non-native speakers.

After reading the book twice (yes! it's an academic book, and so must be read twice in all seriousness, to reinforce the concepts), you will start looking forward to solving SC questions!

The book is available on Flipkart and Amazon.in. You might want to refer to these sites, to also read testimonials of how readers have benefited.

If you want to sample a chapter before deciding to go ahead with our book, please PM me know your mail-id (along with the chapter that you would like to sample) and I will be happy to send that chapter to you by mail.
Ashish
MBA - ISB, GMAT - 99th Percentile
GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle
www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at:

a) Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana

b) Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi