Odds and Ends

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Odds and Ends

by Varun Balraj » Sun May 31, 2015 7:42 pm
Hello folks,

Varun here. Chemical engineer with about 3.5 + years experience in the oil and gas EPC field. Will have one year of sales experience in the advertising industry. Total experience will be 5 years. Target GMAT on third attempt: 700 (min). Average extra, decent team leadership and training experience. Just roughly, what will be good schools in the range my profile covers?

Dream schools: Darden, Ross, Duke, UNC, Mccombs, Fisher, Kelley.

Anyone with some comments on this?

Thanks a bunch :)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by mcbMcK » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:31 am
Consider the following points Varun:
  1. The information you have provided is really sketchy to make a meaningful assessment. It is not clear for instance as to why you moved from EPC to advertising. Even within advertising, what sub-function are we talking about and which geography? And finally, what you plan to do post your MBA. These questions are basic ones to assess and see things in the right perspective. So feel free to add
  2. Purely basis the GMAT, the school list could be on the aggressive side. But then again, who knows - some answers to questions above may change that outlook
Cheers,
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Personal MBA Coach » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:55 am
Varun,

Thanks for the post! As mentioned above, I am curious to hear more about the switch to/from advertising and how this relates to your post-MBA goals. Please provide some additional info and I can comment further on your schools. Should you wish to keep any of this private, you can contact me directly at [email protected] otherwise post here and I'll reply.

- Undergraduate school and GPA / approx rank
- Specific companies you work for / have worked for
- Leadership roles at work / how you rank relative to peers (if anything more than average as you mentioned)
- Post MBA goals

Thanks!