AWA--Please Rate!

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

AWA--Please Rate!

by savannah.hooper » Tue May 26, 2015 4:48 pm
Hi everyone! This was my first attempt at an AWA. Please let me know how I did. Thanks!
Also, has anyone used the GMAT Write tool? Is it worth the $30 and how accurate is it?

ESSAY QUESTION:
The following appeared in a strategy memorandum of an investment company:

"Over the past several years, investment in precious metals, such as gold and silver, has proven to be one of the most profitable investment strategies for our firm. Over the next decade, the demand for these metals is expected to be strong, largely driven by the economic growth of large emerging markets--China, India, and Russia. Thus, our investors are best served by increasing their exposure to precious metals to take advantage of this unique profit-making opportunity."

Discuss how well reasoned you find this argument. Point out flaws in the argument's logic and analyze the argument's underlying assumptions. In addition, evaluate how supporting evidence is used and what evidence might counter the argument's conclusion. You may also discuss what additional evidence could be used to strengthen the argument or what changes would make the argument more logically sound.

YOUR RESPONSE:
The argument that increasing investment in precious metals will benefit investors relies on several assumptions and uncertainties. Though the firm states that this strategy is currently very profitable, it does not give substantial evidence to justify expanding the strategy. The statement relies on the unstable, potentially highly regulated emerging markets of China, India, Russia, and others. Overall, the argument for expanding investment in this industry is not supported by enough evidence to justify the transition to investors and other stakeholders.

Perhaps the largest flaw in the argument is its reliance on emerging markets. Since it is impossible to predict the future the company cannot justify increasing exposure to the precious metal industry because of the growth of potentially emergent markets. These markets could become highly regulated and unstable. Also, it is important to note the nature of the goods that are being dealt with. Precious metals are a nonrenewable resource that are often depleted very quickly. The growth of these emerging markets might be very short-lived. Therefore, the company cannot justify substantially reorganizing its investment portfolio in order to cash in on these unpredictable short-term gains.

Since this argument leaves out several key factors, it is not logical. If the argument would have discussed the current amount of investments that the company had in the precious metals sector and how much it would increase this amount, the argument would be stronger. Another way to increase the persuasiveness of the argument would be to include an explanation of how long the precious metal markets in the emerging markets were expected to be profitable. A time period of how long it would take to deplete the markets would be very helpful in determining if this is a long-time strategy that could benefit the firm. Overall, by adding additional measures and descriptions the investment company's argument would be much more persuasive.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:26 members

by Katharine@GMATPrepNow » Wed May 27, 2015 7:03 am
Hello savannah.hooper,

Great start to your AWA prep! If you have specific questions, please let me know.

Writing: You didn't have major writing errors, which is a good start. It's wise to save a few minutes at the end of the time limit to review your writing and catch mistakes, which I assume you've done.

Structure: The intro and conclusion are great! You provide plenty of detail and show that you understand the author's argument. However, you only have one body paragraph. I understand that it's tough to write a full five paragraph essay during the time limit, but that should be your goal. I'm not sure if you ran out of time or if you only found one idea to discuss, so if you have questions about one of those particular scenarios please let me know.

Arguments/Examples: Your body paragraph provides a good explanation of how the author's argument is flawed, and I think that you were correct to find issue with the reliance on emerging markets. As I mentioned above, it seems that you ran out of time or had trouble finding flaws in the author's argument. It would be ideal to have two body paragraphs with different ideas.

Suggestions for Improvement: Your writing style is fine, but you need to work on adding length and finding more examples (or writing faster so you have time to complete two body paragraphs). If you have questions about finding problems with the author's argument, we can come up with sample ideas together. I'd give this essay close to a four, but with a little practice you'll reach a higher score. Additionally, I recommend reviewing the structure and content of an ideal AWA, which you can see in our free videos here: https://gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-anal ... assessment

Katharine
Katharine Rudzitis - BA
on hiatus until further notice
We have plans to suit every learning style and budget:
- Self-directed video course
- Private online tutoring from 99th-percentile experts
- Combination packages with video course & private tutoring
- Every plan includes 5 full-length practice tests
- Use our video course with Beat The GMAT's free 60-Day Study Guide
- We have dozens of free videos to try out before buying

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by savannah.hooper » Thu May 28, 2015 12:00 pm
Hi Katharine,

Thanks for your reply! I actually finished the essay early. I just wasn't really sure how much I was supposed to write on it, so I kept it short. I did have a hard time finding flaws in the argument that were large enough to base full paragraphs on. Any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks again,

Savannah

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:26 members

by Katharine@GMATPrepNow » Fri May 29, 2015 6:38 am
Hi savannah.hooper,

For a detailed overview of the AWA section, I'd encourage you to check out our short free videos at https://gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-anal ... assessment ("Writing the AWA Argument Essay may be particularly helpful). In general, aiming for a well-written five paragraph essay is a great goal. Practically, that can be hard to finish in the time limit, but at least two strong body paragraphs should be doable.

As for the argument flaws, you did well to point out the reliance on emerging markets, overall lack of evidence, and difficulty in predicting growth for these markets. It's also fine to have a paragraph with suggestions, which you included in your last paragraph. I think that by reworking the structure you could turn this response into at least a four paragraph response. Pulling out the conclusion sentences and making them into a final paragraph would help. Also, note your paragraph length: your first body paragraph has seven sentences, and the second body paragraph has five sentences. You could separate that long seven sentence paragraph into two separate ones with different ideas.

I think that you found a reasonable number of flaws, but the lack of structure made it hard to turn those flaws into full paragraphs. Try making a short outline before your next response so you know what your goal is.

I hope this helps!
Katharine
Katharine Rudzitis - BA
on hiatus until further notice
We have plans to suit every learning style and budget:
- Self-directed video course
- Private online tutoring from 99th-percentile experts
- Combination packages with video course & private tutoring
- Every plan includes 5 full-length practice tests
- Use our video course with Beat The GMAT's free 60-Day Study Guide
- We have dozens of free videos to try out before buying