low score on second attempt

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

low score on second attempt

by gmat_guy666 » Thu May 28, 2015 4:41 am
Hello , I scored 580 in the first attempt and 510 in the second. However, I reported the 2nd score and sent it out to the school I was targeting . I have already submitted the application by mentioning 580 score ( couple of days back) , but I sent the latest score to the school while attempting today , thinking that they will pick the best . Will they get to see my old score ?
Also, did I commit a blunder by submitting the bad score ? I am more confused and worried now . Kindly assist.

Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:720

by fxMBAconsulting (Leah) » Thu May 28, 2015 5:05 am
If I'm understanding the situation correctly - it sounds to me like you submitted your application with the 510 score. After submitting you resat the GMAT and got a 580. Congratulations on a solid 70 point improvement. I don't know which school you applied to but most schools will accept additional information and test scores after you apply. I don't think you've blundered. You might just want to email the school again in a day and ask them for verification that they've received their new score.
Leah Derus
MIT Sloan MBA 2010
Independent MBA Admissions Consultant
[email protected]
fxmbaconsulting.com

MBA Admissions Consultants & Firms - How to Hire a Great One

by gmat_guy666 » Thu May 28, 2015 5:22 am
sorry , If I wasn't clear . I scored 510 in the second attempt , and sent that score to the B school, using GMAT service just before writing the exam . My previous attempt was 580 ( so a decrease of 70 points). I had not selected any B schools at the time of taking the first attempt .

I submitted the application few days back mentioning my 1st attempt score (580) .Will the Schools get to see that score or only the second attempt score ? Also, is the score immediately available to them ?

I think it is going to make a huge impact , correct?

Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:720

by fxMBAconsulting (Leah) » Thu May 28, 2015 7:42 am
You should check with GMAC but my understanding is that when a school gets your latest score report - they see all the past scores. So the school will see both scores. They will use the highest score to evaluate your application. It happens somewhat frequently that a candidate gets a higher score on a first attempt than on a second attempt.
Leah Derus
MIT Sloan MBA 2010
Independent MBA Admissions Consultant
[email protected]
fxmbaconsulting.com

MBA Admissions Consultants & Firms - How to Hire a Great One