Profile evaluation request

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile evaluation request

by EC2646 » Wed May 27, 2015 12:23 pm
Hey CS Team-
Hoping you can help with a quick profile evaluation. Looking to live/work in Boston post-MBA, so would also appreciate any suggestions for target schools. Details below. Thanks!

- 3 years experience in LatAm product marketing at top tier investment management firm (Blackrock, GSAM, PIMCO). Funds covered have raised $1bn+ since I've joined the firm.
- GMAT: 710
- 3.34 GPA from mid-tier Liberal Arts College (Skidmore, Trinity, Bucknell). Majored in Economics with a minor in Latin American studies. Was named Outstanding Student in Latin American studies.
- Not sure if this matters, but taking spanish classes at NYU's extension school. 3.7 GPA there.
- 25 year old white guy
- Founding member of the Junior Board of Directors for an education-focused nonprofit in NYC
- Targeting Tuck, Sloan, Ross, Anderson in R1, Fuqua, Johnson, McCombs, McDonough in R2/3
- Will be applying in fall of 2015 for entry in 2016
- Goal is credit or equity research, focused on Latin American emerging markets

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Thu May 28, 2015 6:31 am
Hey there!

Thanks for the post - I'd be flat-out honoured to give you my thoughts! So my analysis will be structured into four buckets - that's how we think of profiles.

Professionally, you're off to a reallllly good start. It'll depend on which firm you actually work for, but all of those are good bets. But I'd rather see Blackrock than PIMCO but that's splitting hairs. I'd want to know a bit more about your performance, however. How do you rate relative to your peer set. Are you the best thing since sliced bread? Do you have your "cornerstone" experiences in place?

Involvement wise, I like your work founding the nonprofit junior board and I'd like to know more about a) how involved that keeps you and b) what impact you've had. That said, I'd want to know what else you've been doing. Both in undergrad, as well as outside of this education focused nonprofit. What's the theme here? The story?

Academically, you're ok. But that isn't a bad thing - I'll explain why. So let's talk institution. Good institution. Not a feeder and not Tier I but good nonetheless. GPA is a speedbump. You struggled a bit there it seems. Was it consistently a 3.34? Or was there an up(down) trajectory? The Spanish classes are a nice touch and I like the GPA there but if you did poorly in certain courses in undergrad, the Spanish ones are 1:1 going to help. Your GMAT is solid - a 710 is a great score.

Goals wise, you're a man on a mission. That much is clear. I like where you've been, I like where you're headed, I like what you'll bring to the table, and I like how you're trying to make that happen both on and off the professional court.

So the school list you've mentioned is good. With your current profile, you're looking at a solid range. That said, a slightly higher GMAT would bump that range up quite a few points. Now, if you don't WANT to bump that range up, that's a separate issue. But a 730 would open up a lot more Top 10 doors if that's important to you! If not, then the schools you've picked are going to do good things for you.

Hope that helps?

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!