Profile evaluation request

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile evaluation request

by EC2646 » Wed May 27, 2015 12:17 pm
Hey Team-
Hoping you can help with a quick profile evaluation. Looking to live/work in Boston post-MBA, so would also appreciate any suggestions for target schools. Details below. Thanks!

- 3 years experience in LatAm product marketing at top tier investment management firm (Blackrock, GSAM, PIMCO). Funds covered have raised $1bn+ since I've joined the firm.
- GMAT: 710
- 3.34 GPA from mid-tier Liberal Arts College (Skidmore, Trinity, Bucknell). Majored in Economics with a minor in Latin American studies. Was named Outstanding Student in Latin American studies.
- Not sure if this matters, but taking spanish classes at NYU's extension school. 3.7 GPA there.
- 25 year old white guy
- Founding member of the Junior Board of Directors for an education-focused nonprofit in NYC
- Targeting Tuck, Sloan, Ross, Anderson in R1, Fuqua, Johnson, McCombs, McDonough in R2/3
- Will be applying in fall of 2015 for entry in 2016
- Goal is credit or equity research, focused on Latin American emerging markets

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:20 am
Hi EC2646!
Quick feedback on your profile: I like your professional background, and your choice of target MBA programs is refreshing. GPA/undergrad institution: not mind-blowing, but should be good enough for your school choices.
I'd love to know more about your international exposure, especially given your Latin American focus.

My biggest questions are about your GMAT and your community service. GMAT: there's 710 and 710 -- the percentages and balance between Q & V are both important. Also, 710 is what I call the Bermuda Triangle GMAT for "traditional" applicants: there are a lot of you coming in at that level, and sometimes you just disappear into the crowd. If you think you've got 720-730 in you, I'd strongly recommend taking the GMAT again, just to turn that score into an asset. If your quant is below 80%, you may want to highlight any quant-heavy courses you took in undergrad, or add some coursework in calculus or statistics to your current studies at NYU Extension.

Community service: like the 710 GMAT, there are Junior Boards and Junior Boards... some junior boards seem to focus on fundraising cocktail parties, whereas others are roll-up-your-sleeves impactful in the community. You can guess which would be a stronger strategic asset for your application. Remember, leadership is the #1 driver of admission to top MBA programs, so the adcoms will want to see the people you lead and the impact you're having.

Good luck in your MBA applications!
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me