770(Q-51,V-44)- My GMAT Journey-Long post

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

770(Q-51,V-44)- My GMAT Journey-Long post

by ashok27 » Fri May 22, 2015 1:10 am
Hi all,
Feeling excited writing this post. Had always dreamt that one day I'll be writing it. I was expecting to do well on the GMAT but frankly didn't expect that I'd hit a high of what I was scoring on the mock tests.

I've been preparing for the GMAT for about 3 months. Honestly, I was targeting 750 and was pleasantly surprised by the results- a 770(Q-51,V-44)

Books & Test material used

1.The Official Guide
2. Aristotle SC Grail 3rd edition, ManhattanGMAT SC Guide 5th ed & Big Idiom Questionbank
3. Aristotle CR Grail & Ace the Bold face
4. Aristotle RC Grail
5. Manhattan GMAT Advanced Quant guide for theory and PS and DS Boosters for practice.
7. GMAT Quantitative Review 2nd Edition

Test Scores

After every test, I would thoroughly spend 3-4 hours analyzing the test. This incredibly helped me improve my performance

Diagnostic Test-GMATPREP1-Before I started my prep: 620

Manhattan CAT 1 : 680 (Q46, V36)
Manhattan CAT 2 : 690 (Q45, V38)
Manhattan CAT 3 : 710 (Q48, V39)
Manhattan CAT 4 : 680 (Q46, V37)
Manhattan CAT 5 : 720 (Q47, V41)
Manhattan CAT 6 : 730 (Q45, V45)
GMATPrep CAT 1 : 740 (Q50, V40)
GMATPrep CAT 2 : 760 (Q51, V42)

GMAT: 770 (Q51, V44)

General Strategy

The longest time spent-3 weeks on SC
I started with Sentence Correction and focused on it for the first 2 weeks. Worked for around 5-6 hours everyday to complete the SC Grail theory and reference questions in OG. Then took another week to finish the questions at the end of SC Grail. After that I moved on to the OG SC questions. Finished them in another one week.
What I'd say is that doing questions is not important but rather learning from the questions especially in which you make mistake is very important because
a) Unless you don't know the mistakes you've made you won't be able to correct the mistake
b) Pattern recognition improves
c) Gives you the opportunity to look at questions in new perspectives
When you've got speed on your side and your technique's so good you know what process to apply even when you're reading the question, your accuracy improves as well

Tip #1: Maintain an error log and re-attempt all the questions that you get wrong. I saw my accuracy improving as a result of this

Killing the CR:

I loved CR- I found the CR questions to be intriguing, challenging and immensely satisfying once I got them correct. I'd miss doing these questions the most. I started with CR Grail and finished the different types of CR questions in 4-5 days. I practiced the questions from OG alongwith those at the end of CR Grail topicwise. For example in strengthen/weaken type of questions, I picked strengthen/weaken questions at the end of CR Grail and in OG and worked with them. Overall, I spent around 2 weeks in CR. I found the OG CR questions to be pretty good.
Tip #2: Paraphrasing CR questions before moving to the options is the key to ensure that you nail those difficult ones that leave you confused between the last two options

Playing with RC:

I did a few passages from OG before starting with strategies in RC Grail. I realized that my accuracy wasn't bad and that concentration is the key to tackle RCs effectively. Also not getting lost in the details and trying to look at the big picture in passages would ensure that I'm not spending way too much time in reading passages.
Tip#3: In RC, after every para, try rephrasing what you just read otherwise sometimes it's easy to get lost in long passages and spend way too much time on reading parts of passages that may not be relevant to the questions asked.

Building on Quant strength
Frankly speaking, the GMAT OG quant questions(at least the first 80% of the questions) are just crap. Pardon me for using that language but they just are. Any high school student would be able to do most of them-these questions are that easy.
I referred to Manhattan Advanced quant to build on my quant competencies which have been pretty strong thanks to being from an engineering undergrad. I practiced a lot of questions from miscellaneous sources also apart from that I practiced from PS and DS boosters as I didn't want to practice as many questions as possible.

Tip#4: Don't ignore what you are strong at. Verbal was my strength so I gave it 2/3rd of my prep time but I ensured that the rest of the 1/3rd time went to Quant as that was my forte.

Actual Test Day Experience

The AWA section helped me calm down myself and focus. The IR section went without much action and were in fact much easier than what I had done on the practice tests.
The Quant section seemed very much in line with the GMATPREP section and I was able to finish the test in 10 minutes before time.
The Verbal questions were slightly tricky, especially the Reading Comprehension and I constantly had to remind myself not to get disheartened and focus on the question at hand.
I was on the edge of my chair while waiting for the result and almost jumped off my seat when I saw my score.

My final takeaways:
1. Keep visiting these forums. The wealth of information available here is huge.
2. Maintain an error log. Without an error log, most of your prep will go waste
3. Master your weak areas and try doing most of question types in the recommended time frame. For example,for SC, the recommended time is 1 minute and if you are taking 2 minute/SC, then you are in trouble

Gonna party hard now. :) It's my time now. Thank you all both. Both beatthegmat and gmatclub have been immensely helpful. Would be glad if I can of any help.
Last edited by ashok27 on Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by gonegirl76 » Sat May 23, 2015 11:35 pm
ashok27 wrote:Hi all,
Feeling excited writing this post. Had always dreamt that one day I'll be writing it. I was expecting to do well on the GMAT but frankly didn't expect that I'd hit a high of what I was scoring on the mock tests.

I've been preparing for the GMAT for about 3 months. Honestly, I was targeting 750 and was pleasantly surprised by the results- a 770(Q-51,V-44)

1.The Official Guide
2. Aristotle SC Grail 3rd edition, ManhattanGMAT SC Guide 5th ed & Big Idiom Questionbank
4. Aristotle RC Grail
5. Manhattan GMAT Advanced Quant guide for theory and PS and DS Boosters for practice.

Test Scores

After every test, I would thoroughly spend 3-4 hours analyzing the test. This incredibly helped me improve my performance

General Strategy

I started with Sentence Correction and focused on it for the first 2 weeks. Worked for around 5-6 hours everyday to complete the SC Grail theory and reference questions in OG. Then took another week to finish the questions at the end of SC Grail. After that I moved on to the OG SC questions. Finished them in another one week.
What I'd say is that doing questions is not important but rather learning from the questions especially in which you make mistake is very important because
a) Unless you don't know the mistakes you've made you won't be able to correct the mistake
When you've got speed on your side and your technique's so good you know what process to apply even when you're reading the question, your accuracy improves as well

Tip #1: Maintain an error log and re-attempt all the questions that you get wrong. I saw my accuracy improving as a result of this

Killing the CR:

I loved CR- I found the CR questions to be intriguing, challenging and immensely satisfying once I got them correct. I'd miss doing these questions the most. I started with CR Grail and finished the different types of CR questions in 4-5 days. I practiced the questions from OG alongwith those at the end of CR Grail topicwise. For example in strengthen/weaken type of questions, I picked strengthen/weaken questions at the end of CR Grail and in OG and worked with them. Overall, I spent around 2 weeks in CR. I found the OG CR questions to be pretty good.
Tip #2: Paraphrasing CR questions before moving to the options is the key to ensure that you nail those difficult ones that leave you confused between the last two options

Playing with RC:

I did a few passages from OG before starting with strategies in RC Grail. I realized that my accuracy wasn't bad and that concentration is the key to tackle RCs effectively. Also not getting lost in the details and trying to look at the big picture in passages would ensure that I'm not spending way too much time in reading passages.
Tip#3: In RC, after every para, try rephrasing what you just read otherwise sometimes it's easy to get lost in long passages and spend way too much time on reading parts of passages that may not be relevant to the questions asked.

Frankly speaking, the GMAT OG quant questions(at least the first 80% of the questions) are just crap. Pardon me for using that language but they just are. Any high school student would be able to do most of them-these questions are that easy.
I referred to Manhattan Advanced quant to build on my quant competencies which have been pretty strong thanks to being from an engineering undergrad. I practiced a lot of questions from miscellaneous sources also apart from that I practiced from PS and DS boosters as I didn't want to practice as many questions as possible.

Tip#4: Don't ignore what you are strong at. Verbal was my strength so I gave it 2/3rd of my prep time but I ensured that the rest of the 1/3rd time went to Quant as that was my forte.

The AWA section helped me calm down myself and focus. The IR section went without much action and were in fact much easier than what I had done on the practice tests.
The Quant section seemed very much in line with the GMATPREP section and I was able to finish the test in 10 minutes before time.
The Verbal questions were slightly tricky, especially the Reading Comprehension and I constantly had to remind myself not to get disheartened and focus on the question at hand.
I was on the edge of my chair while waiting for the result and almost jumped off my seat when I saw my score.

My final takeaways:
1. Keep visiting these forums. The wealth of information available here is huge.
3. Master your weak areas and try doing most of question types in the recommended time frame. For example,for SC, the recommended time is 1 minute and if you are taking 2 minute/SC, then you are in trouble

Gonna party hard now. :) It's my time now. Thank you all both. Both beatthegmat and gmatclub have been immensely helpful. Would be glad if I can of any help.
Great story. Really valuable tips regarding verbal prep. I have copied all the 4 tips that you gave for verbal and quant and have been using most of the resources that you mentioned. Could you talk about how close were the questions in the actual GMAT as compared to those in GMATPREP

by durgaprasadlvs » Mon May 25, 2015 4:29 am
Congratulations on your score.. 770 is no ordinary feat..

I just started my prep for GMAT.. will take test in 2-3 months..

BTW.. what colleges are you targeting Ashok ?

by ashok27 » Sat May 30, 2015 4:42 am
durgaprasadlvs wrote:Congratulations on your score.. 770 is no ordinary feat..

I just started my prep for GMAT.. will take test in 2-3 months..

BTW.. what colleges are you targeting Ashok ?
Thanks.I've not yet finalized the schools I'll be applying to. Still researching on the right fit schools for me

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:52 members
GMAT Score:760

by rishi raj » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:52 am
Great journey ashok. Thanks for sharing the story here

by rmt99e » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:31 am
This is my first post on here, and I'm just starting to study. Congratulations and thanks for sharing your insight. I hope to see the same improvement.

by ashok27 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:52 am
rmt99e wrote:This is my first post on here, and I'm just starting to study. Congratulations and thanks for sharing your insight. I hope to see the same improvement.
All the very best. I'm sure that you will leverage these forums to score well on the GMAT

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by vivek1303 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:07 am
Party hard it should be! Congratulations

by gmat barcelona » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:53 am
770(Q-51,V-44) is an outstanding performance, ashok27! Congratulations on your awesome score! Thanks for sharing your GMAT experience and tips.
Best Wishes!
Alexander Steward
GMAT & GRE Instructor
GMAT, TOEFL, GRE, IELTS & TOEIC Center Barcelona
**Prepara el Gmat en Barcelona con los expertos**
https://www.gmatbarcelona.com

by ashok27 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:03 pm
Thank you all. It's been possible to a large extent because of this forum. Let me know if anyone needs any help

Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:770

by OptimusPrep » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:19 am
Very good and inspiring story! Thank you for sharing...

by vivek1303 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:55 am
Great debrief! Congrats on your amazing score!

by ashok27 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:40 am
vivek1303 wrote:Great debrief! Congrats on your amazing score!
Thank you for the wishes. Glad that you found the debrief helpful

by iburnedmyrice » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:14 pm
Hi.

Congratulation and thank you so much for sharing. Would you mind tell me the dates you took the test on? Just wanted to see how far apart you took them.

Thanks a lot!

by oquiella » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:13 am
ashok27 wrote:Hi all,

1.The Official Guide
4. Aristotle RC Grail

Test Scores

General Strategy

Killing the CR:

Playing with RC:

My final takeaways:

Hi,

Amazing Story. What was the book you used named under "PS and DS Boosters" and What books did you do questions from?