Advice Needed: To Pursue or Not To Pursue my MBA

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Really having a hard time figuring out if I should apply to B school. I am a female 34 year old Latina. I have been working in management for 10 years, run my own small business, and currently work in non-profit sector in PR & Social Media Marketing. I received my B.S. in Hospitality Management from Cal Poly Pomona and am now looking into applying to schools for Fall 2016. I am concerned about the following:

1. Undergrad GPA 2.8 (last two years 3.2)
2. My Practice GMAT Score (450 on my Diagnostic Kaplan CAT but studying to try and receive a 650)
3. Part-time vs. Full-Time (are they the same degree?)

I really want to take my experience in social media marketing to the next level and am look to work with a top tech or consulting firm. I do not feel that i can get there without an MBA.

Does anyone have any insight or suggestions?! Any feedback is would be much appreciated.

GMAT Score:750

by reverseflash » Tue May 26, 2015 6:53 pm
alxmarie wrote:Really having a hard time figuring out if I should apply to B school. I am a female 34 year old Latina. I have been working in management for 10 years, run my own small business, and currently work in non-profit sector in PR & Social Media Marketing. I received my B.S. in Hospitality Management from Cal Poly Pomona and am now looking into applying to schools for Fall 2016. I am concerned about the following:

1. Undergrad GPA 2.8 (last two years 3.2)
2. My Practice GMAT Score (450 on my Diagnostic Kaplan CAT but studying to try and receive a 650)
3. Part-time vs. Full-Time (are they the same degree?)

I really want to take my experience in social media marketing to the next level and am look to work with a top tech or consulting firm. I do not feel that i can get there without an MBA.

Does anyone have any insight or suggestions?! Any feedback is would be much appreciated.
Try to get GMAT 650+ and that would compensate for low udnergrad GPA. Don't let yourself be discouraged by Kaplan. Kaplan is tough so try official gmat or manhattan to get a true sense of score..
If you want to change industry/break into consulting go for Full tiem MBA. Good thing is youw ant to continut in teh sam functional area so focus on that and wealth of your experience.. good luck!!
Coach @ usmbainterview.com
Former Management Consultant
GMAT: 750

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Wed May 27, 2015 8:20 pm
Hi there!

If you're keen on entering the consulting arena, you should really consider a full-time MBA. While a part-time MBA is the same degree, it may not give you the resources and flexibility you need to change careers. If you decided on tech, what type of role would you be looking for? What function do you see yourself in?

Your GPA is a bit low, so I'd encourage you to focus your time and energy on getting the highest GMAT score you can. Once you've overcome that hurdle, we can start to think about target schools based on your involvement and other career achievements. Hope this helps! Best of luck on your GMAT!
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

by alxmarie » Wed May 27, 2015 8:32 pm
CriticalSquareMBA wrote:Hi there!

If you're keen on entering the consulting arena, you should really consider a full-time MBA. While a part-time MBA is the same degree, it may not give you the resources and flexibility you need to change careers. If you decided on tech, what type of role would you be looking for? What function do you see yourself in?

Your GPA is a bit low, so I'd encourage you to focus your time and energy on getting the highest GMAT score you can. Once you've overcome that hurdle, we can start to think about target schools based on your involvement and other career achievements. Hope this helps! Best of luck on your GMAT!
Thank you for the advice, I am looking to continue to do marketing/social media but I understand that firms like McKinsey offer support to their clients in these areas. Is a 650-680 high enough to start talking about schools like Anderson?

by alxmarie » Wed May 27, 2015 8:32 pm
CriticalSquareMBA wrote:Hi there!

Thank you for the advice, I am looking to continue to do marketing/social media but I understand that firms like McKinsey offer support to their clients in these areas. Is a 650-680 high enough to start talking about schools like Anderson?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Thu May 28, 2015 5:59 am
Hey there,

You're very welcome! To be honest, that's a difficult question to answer without digging into what makes you, well, you! So do this - sign up for a free consultation. It's not a sales call. It's just time for us to get on the phone and talk about the process and answer your questions. Maybe a 650 - 680 is in range. Maybe it isn't. BUt we'll get to the bottom of that! Sound good?

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:25 am
Have you considered an executive MBA? Running your own small business for a number of years could make you a great candidate. Plus the emphasis on GPA/GMAT will be lower than in a full time or part time program. Also, the fact you are a female latina will definitely be valued by business schools so that will work in your favor. 650 GMAT will open up a lot of opportunities for you, sub 500 will not.