Shall I retake the GMAT?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

Shall I retake the GMAT?

by [email protected] » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:18 pm
Hi Guys!
I need a help. But, before I ask my doubt, I'll walk you through my resume and my aspirations.
I gave my GMAT last weekend and got a 720(Q51, V35), 7 in IR and 5 in AWA. I'm not satisfied with my verbal score as I believe that I can score better in that arena.
Background:
I'm working with PepsiCo, India Region as an Asst Manager in Technical Operations for the last 2 years. I plan to apply for 2017 batch to the following colleges:-
1. Indian School Of Business, India.
2. NYU-Stern,NY,US as consultancy is its forte.
3. Darden School Of Business,University of Virginia,US as consultancy is its forte.
4. MIT-Sloan,US as entrepreneurship is its forte and it is in the Silicon Valley.
5. Rotman School of Business,Canada as consultancy is its forte.
UG: B.Tech in Electrical Engg from VNIT-Nagpur (National Institute of Tech, Nagpur)
CGPA: 8.41/10.0
Achievements: Annual Operational Excellence Award, 2014, India Region.
Short term Goal: I want to do strategy or operational consultancy.
Long Term Goal: I want to start my own .com and app based business.
My doubt is that as I have one more year before I start with my application, shall I give my GMAT once more or shall I focus on my job?
What if, I do give my GMAT once more and score less than a 720? In this case I have to cancel the score. Therefore, will the colleges I apply to be able to see that I cancelled my score? If yes, will it harm?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by veeral » Wed May 13, 2015 6:51 am
Hi Tanuj,

Give yourself some time and give the gmat in a month.
If you are planning to give a GMAT after an year then you might have to study everything all over again.

As far as i know you dont have to cancel your previous scores. You can apply in colleges with your best score in GMAT.
Also, the colleges you are aiming for need good work experience which you have earned , so you shall give the exam and continue with MBA option.

I am preparing for GMAT and will give in following month June 2015.
What was your ideal time for preparation , how did you prepare for the exam and which books did u refer ?

All the best !

Followed by:4 members

by [email protected] » Sun May 24, 2015 1:30 pm
Books:
1. Official Guide for GMAT
2. Verbal Review for GMAT
3. Manhattan Sentence Correction (for sentence correction)
4. Manhattan advanced Quants( for 700+ level quant question)
5. Manhattan prep books for your weak section

Strategy:
Please go through this great article.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-720-95- ... t7227.html

Tuition in Gurgaon:
Pythagurus is good.
https://pythagurus.in/gmat/our-program/
0124-4385306 | 9650011233 | [email protected]

My take on tuition:- I had problem to discipline myself to study and I needed people ,like me, who were planning to take the GMAT so that I could share my doubts with them. Studying alone ,sometimes, was a little boring or , a few times, frustrating. I wanted to enjoy the prep books, as I read somewhere that these learnings would help me make decisions in the B school and beyond school too. Therefore, I joined the class. In sum, classes are not a necessary step to crack the GMAT and if you are disciplined in your approach, you will be good without them too. Therefore, you are the best judge for yourself on this contentious topic.

My take on B school:-
I intend to go to the US-Schools because those schools will give me a global platform. In addition, I plan to join consultancy, either strategy or operational, firms post MBA. Staying back in the US is not a problem with me and I'm ready to bear the tuition cost, which for top B-schools is near to 1 crore for 2 years. These are few hard choices that one needs to sort out first and then jump to the whole process. GMAT is only one part of the puzzle and is not sufficient enough to guarantee an admission to great B schools. Equally important parts are essays, career goal settings, recommendations and PI. Therefore, I suggest you to decide what you want to do, and why you want to do. In your case, why second MBA will an inevitable question that you must sort out. Making things less obscure will give you a sense of purpose for preparing for GMAT.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by vivek1303 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:12 am
Hi,

The colleges you are targeting prefer higher work-ex, apart from ISB maybe. Keep that in mind before you plan on re-taking your GMAT. With a good profile and good essays you can make to these colleges with a 720 as well but the question would of course be whether you want to enter with a decent scholarship or not. If scholarship means a lot for you, then try targeting a 760+
Otherwise, a 720 or a 750 is not much of a difference if it comes to scholarship decisions. And, 720 is not a deal-breaker any what way. So, just think over your priorities and take a call accordingly.

Thanks!

Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:26 pm
720 is a pretty solid score. Do you really think you bump it up by 20 plus points? Would your time be better served working on your essays, resume, recommenders so your total application is outstanding and not just gmat? Personally I would rather work on the other aspects then devoting so much time to studying and getting prepared for the gmat again.