Gmatprep SC

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Gmatprep SC

by gmat_guy666 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:58 am
In the English-Speaking world Anton Chekhov is by far better known for his plays than for his short stories, but it was during his lifetime that Chekhov's stories made him popular while his plays were given a more ambivalent reception, even by his fellow writers.

A)by far better known for his plays than for his short stories, but it was during his lifetime that
B)by far better known for his plays than he was for his short stories, but during his lifetime
C)Known far better for his plays than he was for his short stories, but during his lifetime
D)far better known for his plays than were his short stories, but it was during his lifetime that
E)far better known for his plays than for his short stories, but during his lifetime

OA[spoiler]E
[/spoiler]

How to eliminate answer choice "A"?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:21 members

by David@GMATPrepNow » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:10 am
Hi gmat_guy666,

We can eliminate answer A because it begins with "by far better." The "by" part of that phrase is unnecessary.

The sentence tells us that Chekhov is better known for X than Y. In fact, Chekhov is far better known (where far is a superlative that modifies better in the same way that we use words like "much" as a superlative to modify "more," as in the following example:

I like milk much more than water.

We don't precede "far better" with "by."

by kutlee » Fri May 22, 2015 1:33 am
How to eliminate C - Known far better for his plays than he was for his short stories,
In the English-Speaking world Anton Chekhov IS Known far better for his plays than he WAS for his short stories. Two tenses.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri May 22, 2015 4:14 am
gmat_guy666 wrote: How to eliminate answer choice "A"?
The COMPARATIVE form of an adjective serves to compare two things:
Adam is TALLER than Bob.
Chocolate is MORE POPULAR than vanilla.

The SUPERLATIVE form of an adjective serves to indicate the MOST EXTREME member of a group:
Adam is the TALLEST member of the team.
Chocolate is the MOST POPULAR flavor of ice cream.

Generally, by far serves to modify a SUPERLATIVE:
John is BY FAR the TALLEST member of the team.
Chocolate is the MOST POPULAR flavor of ice cream BY FAR.

To modify a COMPARATIVE, far is sufficient:
Chocolate is FAR MORE POPULAR than vanilla.

Answer choice A in the SC above:
Anton Chekhov is by far better known.
Here, by far incorrectly serves to modify a comparative (better known).
Eliminate A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Followed by:2 members

by bonetlobo » Sat May 23, 2015 3:51 am
Hello Mitch, doesn't "by far" mean "till now". So, when we say: "John is by far the tallest member of the team", I feel it means that John is till now the tallest, but this many not continue in future; so in future, someone else may become taller than John.

Is this understanding correct?

If yes, then, it looks like E, by removing the "by far" construct, is totally altering the original sentence's meaning. I read somewhere that this is not the best approach.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat May 23, 2015 4:48 am
bonetlobo wrote:Hello Mitch, doesn't "by far" mean "till now". So, when we say: "John is by far the tallest member of the team", I feel it means that John is till now the tallest, but this many not continue in future; so in future, someone else may become taller than John.

Is this understanding correct?

If yes, then, it looks like E, by removing the "by far" construct, is totally altering the original sentence's meaning. I read somewhere that this is not the best approach.
by far refers not to time but to DISTANCE.
John is BY FAR the tallest.
Conveyed meaning:
There is A GREAT DISTANCE between John's height and the next tallest height.
In other words, John is MUCH TALLER than the next tallest person.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Mo2men » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:25 am
gmat_guy666 wrote:In the English-Speaking world Anton Chekhov is by far better known for his plays than for his short stories, but it was during his lifetime that Chekhov's stories made him popular while his plays were given a more ambivalent reception, even by his fellow writers.

A)by far better known for his plays than for his short stories, but it was during his lifetime that
B)by far better known for his plays than he was for his short stories, but during his lifetime
C)Known far better for his plays than he was for his short stories, but during his lifetime
D)far better known for his plays than were his short stories, but it was during his lifetime that
E)far better known for his plays than for his short stories, but during his lifetime

OA[spoiler]E
[/spoiler]

How to eliminate answer choice "A"?

Dear Mitch,

Can you shed some light about errors in answer choices A to D? Are the difference in verb tenses in this SC considered error?