Is this worded correctly ?

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

Is this worded correctly ?

by prachi18oct » Thu May 21, 2015 7:18 am
The Senate headed toward another critical hurdle in President Obama's bid to secure a sweeping Pacific-rim trade deal on which he has staked much of the prestige of the presidency.

the pronoun "he" has no antecedent noun. President Obama's is a possessive form.
Please correct me .

This is from an article posted in Washington post today.
Last edited by prachi18oct on Thu May 21, 2015 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by bonetlobo » Thu May 21, 2015 8:12 am
Indeed, I also feel that "he" cannot refer to the possessive. Let us see what others say.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu May 21, 2015 12:44 pm
Technically, a subject pronoun such as he should not serve to stand in for a possessive such as Obama's.
The reason:
A possessive serves not as a noun but as a MODIFIER, and the referent for a subject pronoun must be a NOUN.
That said, virtually every reader of the sentence above would understand that the intended referent for he is Obama.
Further, pronoun ambiguity is a low-priority error on the GMAT.
A good rule of thumb:
If an answer choice includes a potentially ambiguous pronoun, do not immediately eliminate the answer choice.
Instead, look for an answer choice that avoids the potential ambiguity and is free of errors.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3