Need Help Choosing Full-Time vs. Part-Time

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Need Help Choosing Full-Time vs. Part-Time

by Bruhaha » Wed May 20, 2015 11:51 pm
Hey all,

BeatTheGMAT was so helpful for me during my test and application process, I thought I'd get some advice from you guys on making my final school decision!

First I want to give you a little background. I grew up in San Diego and graduated from UC Irvine with a Poli Sci degree in 2008. I had a mediocre GPA and no work experience so I worked for a few years before applying for B-school earlier this year. I've now heard back from most schools and the 3 I'm most seriously considering are as follows:

Rady Part-Time (UCSD) (Was declined for Full-Time program)
Weatherhead Full-Time (Case Western) (40% tuition scholarship)
W.P Carey Full-Time (ASU)

Ive been accepted to both Rady Part-Time and Weatherhead Full-Time already and have been wait-listed at Carey (should hear a final decision within a few days).

I am currently working part-time in my father's medical office so I have no real career to speak of right now. If I were to attend Rady Part-Time, I would most likely look for a job to take advantage of the time during the day. My dream job is to get into the sports business in either the management or marketing side of things. I would look for a job in these fields but I see a career switch upon graduation being much more likely. Because of this, I'm leaning in the direction of one of the full-time programs. The prospect of attending a fantastic school like UCSD, being able to stay in my hometown, and make some money during my education is extremely tempting though. I should also mention that my tuition will be completely covered thanks to a generous savings from my grandparents, so while money is a factor, it's not a very big one.

I guess what I really need answered by someone with information or experience is this; with a career change likely coming after graduation, will a part-time MBA offer me the same kind of opportunities that a full-time would? I am concerned that I will have a much harder time finding employment in my desired field should I choose to attend a part-time program. I've been assured by the Director of Admissions that I will have the same access to the career center and recruiting events as the full-time students, but will companies value me the same?

Thank you,
Shane

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by [email protected] » Thu May 21, 2015 1:27 am
Congratulations!!.

Both the B schools you got through are good. But there are factors like employability post MBA and some other factors also need to be kept in mind before such a decison

I feel Part time programs were started by schools primarily for mid level managers etc with decent experience in their fields and who wish to further grow in their careers.

In your case, i see that you want to switch tracks in your career post your MBA.
You will be new to this target feild post the MBA, so a full time program i think would definitely help u in the following ways:-
1. To give your max attention to program.Be completely involved in your course.It will also give you more time to focus on your new career choice post MBA. Find more ideas and work on them with your fellow students.
2. A full time program is covered in much more detail and is great for beginners who want to make a fresh start in their careers, while in case of part time programs which are generally meant for working professionals do not cover many basic topics as it is considered that working managers would be well aware of it.
3. A full time course would help you be involved 24x7 with all the activities on the campus. Help you build a great friend circle and develop bonds which help you later in your career.
4. Full time programs also have intern ships as a part of the program. You could choose to intern with companies in your target sector so that you have a great advantage and are also confident when you apply to such companies post MBA.

4. I have come accross many companies which consider only full time programs when assessing a professional for a job.
5. I know, to get to study in your home city, stay at home and work at the same time is indeed a tempting choice, however, you should lay more emphasis to the opportunities, the value you can create out of a program and the benefits that you will be able to reap from a MBA program through out your life.
So an MBA is a perfect time to look at your higher goals in life, so choose a program which just does not ful fill your current needs but will help you through out your career.

Have attached a small image that could help you make a decison. Put down all the factors would influence your choice. Then select choice which helps you on the greatest number of parameters.
Attachments
MBA choices.PNG

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:50 am
As a recruiter for my company, I can honestly tell you that I value the part time program less than the full time program. Largely because I know the admission standards are a bit lower than full time programs. Lower average GMAT, GPA, work experience, etc. So while you might have access to the career center, not all recruiters will give you a fair shake. Good luck with your decision.