MiM or MBA

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

MiM or MBA

by ajijdhv » Thu May 14, 2015 8:28 am
Hi,
I am Ajinkya. I have completed my engineering (B.Tech) in 2014.
I want to know whether I should go for MiM (Masters in Management) or Full time MBA ?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by GeneralEducation » Tue May 19, 2015 5:43 am
Hi Ajinkya,

Please share more details about your profile and career goals. It will help us to evaluate your chances for top B-schools and suggest right options.

Regards
Manish
Director (ISB Alumnus)
General Education - India's premier GMAT & Application Consulting company

Get Advice: +91- 90350 50056 | Email Us: [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:332 members

by Jon@Admissionado » Wed May 20, 2015 5:57 am
ajijdhv wrote:Hi,
I am Ajinkya. I have completed my engineering (B.Tech) in 2014.
I want to know whether I should go for MiM (Masters in Management) or Full time MBA ?
Well, do you prefer to do your Masters now or in 4-5 years? MiM is for those with no experience, and an MBA for those with 3+ years experience. The MBA is traditionally the more well-recognized diploma, but the MiMs are gaining traction.
"Hands down the best MBA admissions consulting firm of all-time, and boy, what an incredible founder!" -- Raj Patil, Founder of Admissionado

Something for everyone:
https://admissionado.lpages.co/admissio ... nter-2018/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/50-essay ... ked-vol-4/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/case-studies-lp/
https://admissionado.com/mba/reviews/
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Admis ... 700945.htm

Reach out, and let's gab. Our only requirement is that you don't prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 866-409-4753
Hit us up on WhatsApp.
Ping our satellite: 0884#&@-2#101101
Contact us via web form you lazy git: https://admissionado.com/contact/
Mostly, email Claudia.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:690

by Abhyank » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:41 pm
Hey Ajinkya, the MiM is an amazing degree ( i speak from experience, as i am currently a student at ESCP) and contrary to what other experts may think, it really isn't meant for or targeted only at young graduates with no experience. Most of the MiM schools have a healthy batch composition of people with 1-3 years of work experience. We did a survey of MiM students at top MiM schools( HEC,ESCP, LBS) and found out really interesting details about the MiM. You can check out the survey here: https://www.mim-essay.com/mim-student-pr ... urvey.html

Apart from that, if you really want to evaluate your chances at a top MiM school. Here is a list of things that i feel are important & can tip scales in your favor:

1) Some work experience is always a plus, may it be internships or a full time job. If you have worked for big companies the brand name helps, if not then also fear not as it all depends on how you explain the job you did and how interesting you can make it.( I worked as a electrical engineer for an Indian construction material mfg. company, so i have some experience of polishing things up ;)

2) Well a high GMAT score is absolutely essential. Most schools have a median score of 710. But if you have a score of 680+ and a strog profile, that gives you a fighting chance.

3) Your academic background also matters, most schools want an ideal mix of engineers, economic, arts etc students so if you have a different background it helps, as it adds diversity to the whole school mix and scores good points on the international ranking scene. Here your nationality can also help, especially you are from one of those countries from which there are relatively lower number of foreign students studying abroad.

4) Your academics play a decent role, a high CGPA shows that you are a consistent performer, but i know many people who have lower CGPA's but still score an admit. So it depends on how you explain your marks and whether you have a viable alibi for it. Also colleges know how hard it is to score top grades in certain UG colleges of the world, so they accordingly scale the marks and evaluate you. So no worries about that.

5) Extra curricular, well this is something i believe really helped me gain an admit in many colleges, and is something schools are very favorable towards. They love people who are different and have done something which makes them stand out from the crowd. It may be related to sports( a national level archer), school associations ( president of some XYZ association),an interesting hobby (completed a course in handwriting analysis), Volunteering work etc. So i hope you get the point.

Well all these things have to be clearly explained to the school admission committee in your Resume and your Essays. Many people think that having a GMAT score is enough, but that's just the tip of the ice berg and is only one of the first screening techniques used by schools. An excellent, creative and well written essay or set of essays which showcase your multitude of talents is absolutely necessary!
Only by looking good on paper do you have a chance to be called for an interview and then actually explain all that you have already written about.

A Letter of Recommendation is also very important as it acts as a 3rd person certification of your exploits and gives the admission panel a view of your character from the eyes of somebody else. A lot of people don't give the LOR due attention and send half a page, poorly written LORs, this can be a strong cause for the demise of their application. So a well written LOR clearly explaining your strengths and describing experiences is absolutely essential.

and yes of course you have to ace the interview too ;)

So a well knitted culmination of all these lands you an admit into LBS,HEC,ESCP or any other top school for that matter.

Hope this helps.
Check us out at www.MiM-Essay.com for more information about the Masters in Management degree and to get a personal profile evaluation and gauge your chances at the top schools.

Regards,
Last edited by Abhyank on Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Abhyank Srinet
Founder and Head Consultant at MiM-Essay.com

97% Success Rate| 7000+ Admits in Top Schools| 10 Million Euros in Scholarships

Want to 3X your chances of selection? Book a consulting call here:
https://www.mim-essay.com/book-an-appoi ... rm/?btgmat

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by MarkLyon » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:46 pm
These days a Masters is not just an asset but a necessity.
In terms of study matter the two programmes overlap both offer a general management masters degree, integrated team work and case studies.

However, the MIM is a great deal more theoretical than the MBA.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:32 pm
I recommend at FT MBA. It will be far more flexible and open up more opportunities than a MiM. For the MiM program, be really certain which companies recruit there and what kind of job you will get. What is the starting salary from that program? Do you have access to a good career center?

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members

MiM or MBA

by GyanOne » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:38 pm
Hi ajijdhv,

Here is a detailed response to your query.

An MBA or a Masters in Management? This is a question that almost every college senior comes across at some point of the application process when deciding on the future. The dilemma is clear: MBA v/s Masters in Management is essentially about whether one should one opt for the Masters in Management immediately after the undergraduate program or wait for a few years to apply for the MBA (For those wondering if there are any options to go for an MBA right after college, the answer is YES).

Outside the early entry options to top MBA programs, applicants therefore have two clear options - an MiM now or an MBA later. The confusion at this stage really stems from wondering whether the MiM is good enough to be a final degree and will substitute well enough for the MBA. Here are some points comparing the two programs (MiM v/s MBA) to give applicants a better picture of the key decision parameters:

- Academic content [the MBA is more advanced]: In terms of the academic skills and learning on offer, the MBA offers more advanced courses and more industry-centric opportunities (the HEC Master in Management is an exception in this regard - it is very comparable to an MBA). The MiM, in this regard, is considered to be less practical and more theoretical. This does not mean that the MiM is deficient in offering core business education, but only that some of the more advanced courses may not typically be available at MiM programs.

- Experience requirements and program length: While MiM programs do not require work experience, most MBA programs require at least two, and practically often more. This makes sense, given that the MiM is for early career professionals and the MBA for experienced professionals. Most MiM programs are an year long (although there are exceptions - the HEC MiM, for example, can take up to 3 years to complete), while typical MBA programs are two years long. This is changing though, and more one-year MBA options are rapidly being introduced (for more information, see GyanOne's analysis of the one year MBA in Asia, one year MBA in Europe, and one year MBA in the US). MBA v/s Masters in Management