Strategy for sentence correction when down to two choices?

Share feedback about this free GMAT prep guide
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
I often find myself in the position where I have downselected to two answers in sentence correction questions. 9 out of 10 times one of the downselected answers is right, but half the time I pick the wrong one. My miss rate goes up for harder questions maybe 7 out of 10 times I get the wrong answer and it's very frustrating. Often times I find that when I look at the solution I understand why the answer I picked is wrong after I've plugged each correction into the sentence and read it carefully.

I think my problem stems from having to answer questions in the recommened 1:20-1:30 time frame. When I try to read the sentences back in I find myself reading it very fast in hopes the error will pop out at me.

If I had 2 minutes to answer questions I don't think I would have this problem. Does anybody have tips that they have found useful on how to overcome this hurdle?

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Mon May 04, 2015 7:59 am
Although ideally you'd like to average a little over a minute per Sentence Correction question, if it takes you closer to two minutes to parse the answers on a harder question, that's fine. You'll be able to make up that time elsewhere. For general strategic tips, check out our Sentence Correction lesson: https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat/free-gmat-lesson/
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by freiter1 » Sun May 17, 2015 4:12 pm
The Veritas prep video lessons regarding sentence correction are excellent!!! Thank you for sharing this.