Profile Evaluation Request

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation Request

by SonofPegasus » Sat May 16, 2015 6:27 pm
Hi Stacy,

I'd love to hear what you think as I have a rather unusual profile compared to most MBA applicants.

Educational Background: B.A. in Communication Arts and Sciences from a well-known, middle-ranked state school (3.1 GPA). M. A. in English Education at NYU (3.9 GPA).

GMAT: 720 (44 Q / 45 V)...will probably retake as all practice tests were => 48Q

Current Job: Director of Admissions and Financial Aid at a large, well-respected private high school (enrollment > 1,100). I've held this job for two years.

Work Responsibilities:
- Responsible for generating over 15 million dollars in revenue
- Manage a database of 3,600 prospective students
- Oversee the entire financial aid process, including managing a financial aid budget of over 3.2 million

Previous Job: English teacher (high school level - 6 years).

Other responsibilities/accomplishments:
- As Director of Admissions, I have increased enrollment of students from underserved populations by over 20% in two years (number one priority).
- Chair of the Financial Aid Committee
- Chair of various school accreditation committees
- Served as a football, rugby, and track coach at the high school level
- Co-directed three international service trips
- Directed multiple, multi-day student retreats
- Was selected to participate in national leadership seminars
- Presented at a national conference on "building innovative classroom presentations"

Random Interests:
- Triathlons
- Guitar

Reason for MBA: Over the past two years, I have spent a lot of time working with major non-profits that assist students from underserved populations. This has sparked a passion to work in educational reform. My "dream job" would be to work in the public sector department of a major consulting firm and focus on large-scale education reform.

Concerns: Obviously, my low undergrad GPA is a killer, but I'm hoping that my eight years of work experience and M.A. in Education is enough to compensate. I'm also aware that I'm older than most MBA applicants.

Desired Schools: Stanford, Kellogg, Yale all have a soft spot for those coming from non-profits. They also have the ideal programs/clubs that suit my interests.

Any thoughts are much appreciated!