Which admission cycle should I look forward to?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I'm planning to write GMAT in middle of coming September '15). Which admission cycle should be apt for me? Will fall 2015 cycle be late for me? I'm new to this. Please suggest.

Regards,
S. Roy
[email protected]

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:720

by fxMBAconsulting (Leah) » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:53 am
It would be better to apply in R1 rather than R2 - all things being equal. Would it be possible for you to bump your test date to late August? If not then I guess R2 will have to do. Depending on your background - if you are in an over-represented group you should really consider applying in R1 = September.
Leah Derus
MIT Sloan MBA 2010
Independent MBA Admissions Consultant
[email protected]
fxmbaconsulting.com

MBA Admissions Consultants & Firms - How to Hire a Great One

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:10 am
As Leah mentioned, R1 > R2. But if you choose to not move your GMAT date up before mid September, then you're looking at R2. Don't make the mistake of shooting for R1 deadlines without even having taken the GMAT. That's never a good idea!
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Christine@Fortuna » Tue May 05, 2015 8:31 pm
Hello Ray,

ah, admission cycle and application timing - if you're feeling overwhelmed, don't worry, a lot of people feel that way initially! On average, leading business schools organize three or four rounds of admissions in the 12 months before matriculation (with the exception of Columbia Business School and a small handful of other schools who have rolling admissions and review applications as they're received). Common sense suggests you should apply only when you're ready, but here's a brief article that explain how things work behind the scenes and the reality of how places are allocated from one round to the next: https://fortunaadmissions.com/the-twelve ... ur-timing/

Feel free to reach out if you have more questions! :)

Cheers
Christine
Christine Manipur | Fortuna Admissions - a dream team of former Admissions Directors from the world's top business schools

Interested in a free 30-minute admissions consultation? Sign up on our website

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Mon May 11, 2015 12:56 pm
Forgot to mention - we've got a video on this exact subject. It's short (a few minutes) so check it out here: [When to Apply - R1 vs. R2]

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by MBA Ivy » Tue May 12, 2015 5:25 pm
R1 is always better than R2, in my professional opinion. Can you move up your GMAT testing date? The way you have it, you really do need to apply R2, as you should take the test before the deadline date, and if you want R1 you will be too late.

[I'm a former Harvard admissions interviewer, and Harvard grad and currently run the MBA admissions firm: www.MBAIvyLeague.com. Contact me for a free consultation today!]

Jillian[/i]

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Thu May 14, 2015 10:26 am
Hi Roy,
Looks like you have a lot of good answers to your question. Mine will follow along the same lines: yes, Round 2 is tougher than Round 1, but frankly, timing is just one of many quantifiables that go into a successful graduate application for business school. The most important thing is to put together your strongest possible application.

Assuming that Round 1 is your target, if you can take the GMAT earlier, do so. HBS, Wharton and Stanford are all posting September deadlines this year, so taking the test in September would be cutting it close -- particularly if you don't like your score and decide to take it again.

To help you assess this, I'd want to know more about your background, what you studied in undergrad, what kinds of GMAT prep you're using, how much of your study is review and how much is learning new material, and what you're scoring on timed practice tests. I would also want to know which top MBA programs you are targeting.

So, many points to strategize here, but the key takeaway is: we all agree that it's best to get a final GMAT score at least a month or two before the first deadline you're aiming for. Only you would know, taking into account all the points above, whether that makes Round 1 or Round 2 more realistic.

Hope this helps,
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:22 pm
Agree with the others that it would be better to apply in round one. But most importantly, you need to apply when you have the best application prepared. Ideally you get there sooner rather than later so you don't start missing application deadlines and forced into a later round than you would like. Good luck!
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!