Second attempt 720. Retake and strategy?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Second attempt 720. Retake and strategy?

by adamw » Thu May 07, 2015 9:06 am
Hi all,

I sat my second attempt at the GMAT earlier and scored a 720 (Q44V45 with 8 for IR). This was an improvement on my first attempt three months ago (690 - Q39V45) but feeling deflated because the imbalance is still there.

As an arts graduate aiming to apply to top 10 programmes this year, I feel the quant side will be especially important for my profile, so still disappointed with 44. I've been scoring 80th percentile quant in GMAT Prep tests and there were a couple of questions today that I knew were within my reach but which I fluffed. I therefore plan to retake next month to push higher in quant.

I'd really value people's thoughts on the following questions:

1) Does retaking sound like a good decision in my case?
2) Should I book in for the next available date (e.g. 31 days) or would people recommend I leave it longer than a month? I want to leave enough time to write strong essays but still have a month or two to play with.
3) What's the max number of times I should be thinking about retaking, purely in terms of the message I send to the schools? For instance, if I score, say, 65th percentile next time, I'll probably be tempted to take it a fourth time! If I took it a fourth time, would that go down badly with adcoms or would it be worth it if I got to say 80th percentile?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Last edited by adamw on Thu May 07, 2015 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by Rich@EconomistGMAT » Thu May 07, 2015 9:53 am
Hi adamw,

First of all, you should be proud of making the jump to a 720. It's clear you put a lot of work in to increase your score.

In terms of a retake, I'm curious to know which schools you're looking to apply to. With a 720 in your back pocket, I'd actually suggest that you reach out to admissions officers at your top schools to see if there's a base quant score they're looking for in applicants. If you're just at the base score or even below it, that makes your decision to retake much easier.

I'm also curious to know if you have a clear idea of what's holding you back in quant. Refer back to your error log/practice exams and see if you can identify if you're struggling with an entire concept, having a timing issue, or are simply making simple mistakes. If you think you can correct the issue you're having in 30 days, rescheduling within the next month or two would be fine, but be honest with yourself when evaluating how much work you'll need to put in.

Most students take the GMAT 2-3 times. However, a 4th should be considered carefully, which we wrote about recently here: https://bit.ly/1bB09n8

Best of luck,
Rich

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by adamw » Thu May 07, 2015 10:43 am
Hi Rich,

Thanks for the reply, and for the post to the useful article!

I'm looking to apply to top 10 schools, which is why I realise my score could still do with some work. My timing was generally pretty good on this test - I think my main issue on the first test was speeding through too quickly. However I could probably still spend a bit longer on the doable questions; today I didn't quit the ones above my level quickly enough. I also think I could still structure my answers better, which is something I still haven't got embedded, and I only used plugging / backsolving etc once or twice in the test. I also got several coordinate questions which I'm not a massive fan of!

I'll take some more time to consider where I can improve over the coming days, but I definitely feel I have a higher quant score in me! Just worried I won't be able to go that much higher on the quant in one more attempt.

Thanks..

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu May 07, 2015 2:18 pm
Hi adamw,

Since you posted this in another Forum, I've pasted my response from that Forum here (I think that this would be a worthwhile discussion in both Forums).

With a 720/Q44, you have a fantastic score (it's above the 90th percentile overall), so you can comfortably apply to any Business Schools that you want to. Before you invest any more time and effort into the GMAT, you should review your profile with an Admissions Expert. There's a Forum full of them here:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/ask-an-mba-a ... t-f40.html

Unless you're planning to apply to a high-end Finance Program (or other Specialty Program), you really shouldn't worry about the percentile associated with your Quant Scaled Score. Business Schools are looking for strong OVERALL applicants (not just those with Quant scores above a certain level). If you do decide to continue studying, then I'll be happy to offer some suggestions as to how you can push the Quant score higher.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Wed May 13, 2015 10:02 am
What you perceive as disparity between Quant and Verbal is really a disparity in percentiles - your raw scores are in fact very close. Very broadly speaking, 40+ is considered strong, 45+ is very strong, and 49-51 is exceptional. If your score starts with a 7, schools aren't going to care very much at all about disparity.

Instead of retaking the GMAT, it might be worth considering other things that you could do to prove your quant prowess: you could take a course over the summer on finance or statistics, etc. I'd recommend speaking with an admissions consultant about those options.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education