Career Change

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Career Change

by talharif » Tue May 12, 2015 3:22 am
Hi

I am intending to apply at B-Schools for 2016 enrolment and my primary objective to go for a B-School is career change. I have seven years of work experience in financial services with focus on treasury and risk management. I am looking in to moving to a tech firm, hence I am looking at schools near West Coast in US. Here is a brief summary:

Undergrad GPA: 3.17 out of 4
Work Exp: 7 years (more than 1 year in UAE. I have heard international exp is given weightage)
GMAT: Havent taken but targeting around 700
Teofl: 107

Which schools should I be targeting? Do I stand any chance for Stanford for Haas if I push my score above 720?

Outside US, I am considering INSEAD or Rotterdam School of Management.

Would apprecite your feedback.

Cheers!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by MBA Ivy » Tue May 12, 2015 5:30 pm
Hi, I answered you on your pm, but thought I would answer here as well so others could benefit. Yes, pushing your score above 700 (or, certainly 720) will put you in a whole new ballpark. With 720, you would be competitive for both Stanford and Haas, as well as USC, and UCLA Anderson, in terms of West Coast schools.

INSEAD is also a very good choice for international, as is LBS. Hope this helps!

[I'm a former Harvard admissions interviewer and Harvard grad and currently run the MBA admissions firm: www.MBAIvyLeague.com. Contact me for a free consultation today!]

Jillian

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by MBA Ivy » Tue May 12, 2015 5:31 pm
Hi, I answered you on your pm, but thought I would answer here as well so others could benefit. Yes, pushing your score above 700 (or, certainly 720) will put you in a whole new ballpark. With 720, you would be competitive for both Stanford and Haas, as well as USC, and UCLA Anderson, in terms of West Coast schools.

INSEAD is also a very good choice for international, as is LBS. Hope this helps!

[I'm a former Harvard admissions interviewer and Harvard grad and currently run the MBA admissions firm: www.MBAIvyLeague.com. Contact me for a free consultation today!]

Jillian

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by BartScheenaard » Tue May 12, 2015 10:32 pm
Hi talharif,

Although being a 'bit' biased in my reply - I am working for Rotterdam School of Management - do feel free to reach out me in order to set up an phone or Skype call. Many of our students do change careers via the RSM MBA programmes (location, role and/or industry). If you are looking for an international environment (98% international) and international career opportunties you indeed might want to have a closer look.

Btw, are you still in the UAE? RSM is visiting Dubai this Saturday!

Kind regards,

Bart Scheenaard
RSM MBA Admissions Manager