EXPERTS PLEASE HELP - MBA ADMISSION

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

EXPERTS PLEASE HELP - MBA ADMISSION

by jagdeep » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:42 am
Hiiiii,

I have a query regarding the Corporate Redidency MBA program offered by Dalhousie University - HALIFAX, CANADA. I know, it doesnt have good ranking but the positive thing I found in this is 8 months corporate residency in leading firms. I found it beneficial bcos I came to Canada recently and doesnt have Canadian experience although I have significant international experience.

Can anyone guide me that whether Experience or Ranking of the school counts to secure job after MBA. Moreover, i got accepted in Degroote school of business- MCmaster University- Hamilton too.

Please guide me which one I should go for, or I should try for other good ranking programs..

Thanks in advance,
Jagdeep

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by LoveTheGMAT » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:36 pm
Hi Jagdeep,
Which program did you apply to at McMaster? Coop or Full Time?
If you got into Coop, you should go to McMaster. But if you got into Full Time, you could try Dal since the corporate residency will give you valuable Canadian experience you are lacking right now.
Where in Canada are you now?

by jagdeep » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:13 pm
Thanks a lot for your reply.

I got in to co-op program. so according to you, i should go for mcmaster...

I am in toronto and what abt u

LoveTheGMAT wrote:Hi Jagdeep,
Which program did you apply to at McMaster? Coop or Full Time?
If you got into Coop, you should go to McMaster. But if you got into Full Time, you could try Dal since the corporate residency will give you valuable Canadian experience you are lacking right now.
Where in Canada are you now?

by LoveTheGMAT » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:36 pm
I have my interview for coop program soon. Do you mind sharing how your interview was? What they asked, etc? What was the activity? I am the first one on the day of the interview, so I am gonna have to be quick for my activity. Or does everyone get equal time?

Yeah Mac's coop is good. What got you interested in Dal's MBA? I looked at Dal's MBA and have done some research. It also also a very good program. The reason I want Mac is Accounting program. So depending on what you want, your preferences would be different. But overall, Mac has a good program. The salary increase (%age wise) is higher for Mac, but the placement rate is kinda low at 78% after 3 months (according to Mac's own website). Whereas some other schools like Brock has 97% placement rate after 3 months.

Please let me know anything about the interview if you don't mind. I am also from GTA area :)

Btw, what was your GMAT, GPA, w/e, etc. if you don't mind me asking?

by jagdeep » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:53 pm
when u have ur interview scheduled?
whats your Gmat score, gpa etc. questions will be based on that. how much did u score in gmat?
Interview questions are very general, key thing is that they should be unique.

let me know, if u still have to go for interview, i will tell u the exact questions... and dont worry, its not hard... u will get through...

LoveTheGMAT wrote:I have my interview for coop program soon. Do you mind sharing how your interview was? What they asked, etc? What was the activity? I am the first one on the day of the interview, so I am gonna have to be quick for my activity. Or does everyone get equal time?

Yeah Mac's coop is good. What got you interested in Dal's MBA? I looked at Dal's MBA and have done some research. It also also a very good program. The reason I want Mac is Accounting program. So depending on what you want, your preferences would be different. But overall, Mac has a good program. The salary increase (%age wise) is higher for Mac, but the placement rate is kinda low at 78% after 3 months (according to Mac's own website). Whereas some other schools like Brock has 97% placement rate after 3 months.

Please let me know anything about the interview if you don't mind. I am also from GTA area :)

Btw, what was your GMAT, GPA, w/e, etc. if you don't mind me asking?

by LoveTheGMAT » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:01 pm
just PMed you with some information.
Thanks for your help!

Legendary Member
Followed by:85 members

by essaysnark » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:58 am
jagdeep wrote: (snip)
Can anyone guide me that whether Experience or Ranking of the school counts to secure job after MBA.
(snip)
Hi Jagdeep,

EssaySnark wants to address the question you asked about school ranking. The standard answer is "yes" the school ranking matters a lot for the first job after you graduate, one reason being, some companies only recruit at the top-ranked schools. The extent to which the school ranking will affect you really depends on the type of job you're trying for. If you want to go to a bulge bracket IB, then you need to go to a school that sends graduates to those companies (Wharton/Columbia/et al.). Similarly if you want to go to a Big Three consulting (McKinsey/Bain/et al.), you need to go to a school where they're going to recruit from. If you're going to be an entrepreneur, then it matters a lot less where you go, since you're in control of your own destiny. Or as an entrepreneur you could go to Babson, which is considered the best for entrepreneurship, but a lot of people haven't heard of it. If you want to do health care management, a school like Vanderbilt would probably be ideal, even though it doesn't have the same cachet as a top-10 school -- but it might still be right for you. So a lot of this question depends on what you want to do after you graduate.

EssaySnark firmly believes that people get out of bschool what they put into it, and ANY good school can give you the skills you need to succeed in the future. However, the networks you'll gain from different schools are going to be quite different -- there's even variation here among the "best" schools in terms of how much alumni work to stay connected with each other. Going to a lesser-ranked school could actually be an advantage in some ways because the students that get in are really happy to be there with no sense of entitlement and they might be more motivated to help each other out. Again, this varies widely; there are no rules about it.

The brand name of your school can also matter later on because when people see that name on the resume, they know what goes into it -- it's tough to get into a top school, and it carries a "stamp of approval" so to speak. But, just having an MBA from any good school can offer similar credibility. Much of it is in the eye of the beholder. If the recruiter sitting across the desk from you appreciates what an MBA is and recognizes the name of your school, it can help. If they think that all MBA graduates are jerks, then you don't have a chance.

The rule of thumb is to go to the best school you can (obviously!) but "best" is subjective. You need to go to the school that's best for you, and there are so many variables in that picture that nobody else can make that call for you.

Good luck with it!
EssaySnark

Brave souls are invited to submit bschool essays for critique (for free) over at Essay Snark.
No guarantees they will get reviewed but you never know...
https://essaysnark.blocked/

by jagdeep » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:06 pm
Thanks Essay snark for such a detailed reply.

My next question is if I chose MBA with no coop and good ranking and other side MBA with coop but medium ranking, which is better as I lack experience and I am a career changer, engineer by profession.

Plz let me know....

by LoveTheGMAT » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:23 pm
jagdeep wrote:Thanks Essay snark for such a detailed reply.

My next question is if I chose MBA with no coop and good ranking and other side MBA with coop but medium ranking, which is better as I lack experience and I am a career changer, engineer by profession.

Plz let me know....
First of all, thank you for your help!

As for your question. It depends how far the rankings are. Are you deciding between Mac and Dal? Which schools are you deciding between?

Also consider, where do the graduates go (which field) after finishing the MBA from each school. You would want to go to a school where the graduates are already going because the companies hiring from that school know that graduates are capable. This really is what EssaySnark said. If you are going into consulting, go to a school from which graduates go into consulting.

If you can tell me which schools are you comparing, I can suggest which school you should pick. But overall, if ranks are 2-3 slots away, then that is not much of a difference. If ranks are 10 slots away, then ranks matter.

Also, even if you don't have experience, graduating from a reputable school will you the edge to stay in Canada and find work.

You might also want to consider which city each school is in. You will be spending 2 years of your life in that city. But this should be last thing since 2 years is not much when looking at entire life.

Feel free to PM me if you don't feel like saying here which schools are you deciding between! And thanks for your help!

GMAT Score:540

by pardeep_10sharma » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:39 pm
good article guys..........

LoveTheGMAT wrote:
jagdeep wrote:Thanks Essay snark for such a detailed reply.

Plz let me know....
First of all, thank you for your help!

As for your question. It depends how far the rankings are. Are you deciding between Mac and Dal? Which schools are you deciding between?

Also consider, where do the graduates go (which field) after finishing the MBA from each school. You would want to go to a school where the graduates are already going because the companies hiring from that school know that graduates are capable. This really is what EssaySnark said. If you are going into consulting, go to a school from which graduates go into consulting.

If you can tell me which schools are you comparing, I can suggest which school you should pick. But overall, if ranks are 2-3 slots away, then that is not much of a difference. If ranks are 10 slots away, then ranks matter.

Also, even if you don't have experience, graduating from a reputable school will you the edge to stay in Canada and find work.

You might also want to consider which city each school is in. You will be spending 2 years of your life in that city. But this should be last thing since 2 years is not much when looking at entire life.

Feel free to PM me if you don't feel like saying here which schools are you deciding between! And thanks for your help!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by supi1215 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:59 am
Hi,

I have been shortlisted for an interview for the Full Time MBA program at DeGroote. Can someone tell me what type of questions are asked in the interview. Although the interview will last for only 30 minutes, I would appreciate if someone can give me a fair idea of the questions that will be asked. I will have 4 years of experience by the time I commence by MBA journey. I have experience in both the IT sector and the Financial sector.

Will appreciate if I can get a quick response.

Thanks!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:06 am
Hi supi1215,

Can you please brief about your profile and in which area you have applied for your MBA, it will enable us to guide you better.

by supi1215 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:39 am
I have done B.Tech in Electronics in Communication Engg. I am an Indian citizen. I have experience in the IT Support sector and the Financial Services sector. I have over 2 years of experience in the IT sector and over 1.5 years of experience in the Financial Services sector. I have applied for the General MBA course.

by atiya.khan » Fri May 08, 2015 2:57 am
Hi! I just finished my graduation (Mass Media) and I have started working in an advertising firm. It has been nine months since I have been working here. I have realized that I do not want to pursue a career in this field anymore. I plan to do an MBA as well and I plan to shift to the business field and help my dad with the family business. How many years of experience would I technically need to get into a good B school?

by nasir.shaikh » Fri May 08, 2015 3:03 am
Hello. It is good that you realized where your interest truly lies. It is always important to get into the field that you love. So firstly, to get into a good MBA school you need to have minimum three years of work experience. Their portion involves a lot of terms which could be understood better only if one has worked before. So, I suggest that if you want to pursue an MBA, get some work experience and then go ahead and study.