GMAT in a month, Target 540 to 700

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

GMAT in a month, Target 540 to 700

by veeral » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:53 pm
Hi,
I have been preparing for GMAT for over 8 months.
I have read and solved the following books: Kaplan2014, Kaplan2012 and OG13.

I took GMAT prep test on: 30March/2015

Scored: 610

Quantitative score: 45, 68%
Out of 37 questions in Maths I had 15 incorrect .
8 questions incorrect in PS and
6 questions incorrect in DS.

Verbal score: 28, 48%
Out of 41 questions in Verbal I had 16 incorrect .
8 questions incorrect in SC,
3 questions incorrect in CR and
4 questions incorrect in RC

I then solved half questions from OG10 of all the above topics and gave another Gmat prep test on: 17/April/2015
scored: 540

Quantitative score: 42, 57%
Out of 37 questions in Maths I had 12 incorrect .
8 questions incorrect in PS and
4 questions incorrect in DS

Verbal score: 23, 30%
Out of 41 questions in Maths I had 16 incorrect .
8 questions incorrect in SC
5 questions incorrect in CR and
3 questions incorrect in RC
In this test out of first ten questions in Verbal I had seven incorrect.

I will be giving Gmat by first week of June2015.
Can you please suggest some methods for improvements for all the above topics and a study plan which can help me score 720 above on GMAT.
Thank you

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:24 am
HI veeral,

Most Test Takers who self-study with a 'book heavy' approach are not able to score at the 700+ level (they usually get 'stuck' at a particular scoring level).

To hit your score goals, you're likely going to need to invest in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or Instructor-Led) and you'll likely need to spend 3 months of consistent study time on the process. Thankfully there are plenty of options to choose from. Most GMAT companies offer some type of free resources (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.), so that you can 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have some free resources and a free Trial at www.empowergmat.com. I suggest that you take advantage of all of them, then choose the one that best match your personality, timeline and budget.

When are you planning to apply to Business School?
Do you know which Schools you want to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by veeral » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:36 am
Thanks Rich,

I am going to give GMAT in first week of June 2015 and will apply for the first round of applications in 2015 for the business schools in California or Boston.
Would be glad if you can suggest me some area of improvements in SC.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:16 pm
HI veeral,

To improve your scores to the 720+ range, you're going to need to work on more than just SCs. I'm going to stick with my earlier assessment - to hit your goals, you're likely going to need to invest in a Course of some kind.

How has your pacing been on these two CATs? Do you finish any of the sections early? Do you run out of time and have to guess on a bunch of questions just to finish?

Rich

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by Rich@EconomistGMAT » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:02 am
Hi veeral,

The detail you've provided about your practice exams sheds a lot of light on where to go from here. While you should be working on your SC skills, it's also clear that PS is a problem area for you. That being said, definitely take advantage of the free trials available for most of the online resources at your disposal. To help you get started, here's a link to a free trial of Economist GMAT Tutor: https://bit.ly/1bPAHuW

Best,
Rich

by veeral » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:09 pm
Hi Rich,

Thanks for your suggestions.

In the first GMAT test I was short of time in Maths and attempted seven out of last ten questions vaguely.
In the second GMAT test I had almost two minutes left for the last two questions in Verbal and a minute or two for last four questions in Maths.

To get a good GMAT score is it important that the first ten questions of Verbal and Maths should be correct ? If true then what is the ideal time I should allot to these questions. Can you guide me for time management statistics for all the questions.

Thank you :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:11 am
Hi veeral,

Many Test Takers have pacing problems at some point during their studies, but pacing problems are actually the result of OTHER problems in your work.

While you certainly want to perform well at the start of each section of the GMAT, the bigger issue is performing well on all of the 'gettable' questions that you face (regardless of when they appear in a section).

On your last CAT, how many questions COULD you have gotten correct, but did NOT, because of a silly/little mistake? How many questions COULD have you have gotten correct but you were low on time?

How many of the questions were just too hard? How much time did you spend on each of those questions?

THESE issues are the ones that you have to "fix" first. It might be that you can improve on your own, but you'll probably improve faster if you invest in a GMAT Course of some type. Given your timeframe, I think that the EMPOWERgmat Total Score Booster would help you immensely.

Rich

by veeral » Fri May 01, 2015 7:32 am
Thanks a lot Rich for all the kind suggestions.
Will look into the details and the courses.

Thank you.

Followed by:1 members

by andymal » Mon May 04, 2015 9:03 pm
Ha, which Rich are you referring to. It's a wealth of Riches.

Thank you all for the advice too.