Business School Selection

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Business School Selection

by krats » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:05 pm
Hi.
I am a chartered accountant in India with an experience of around 4 years. I have worked with all top MNC's ( Fortune 500 Companies).
Academics : 10th Std - 88%, 12th Std - 94%, B.com(H) - 82% CA - All India Rank holder

Work Experience: Have a varied experience for Corporate Taxation, Controls, Commercial. Have managed a team of 4 people in the capacity of Commercial Manager. Currently handling the planning , budgeting , forecasting for 1 f the categories of the company as a Category Planner. Also looking at the end to end spends management for the company

Work Achievement : have been awarded Star Finance Award and a new role and promotion in 1 yr and 3 months due to outstanding performance

Extra Curricular Activities : Head Cultural Captain in school wherein leading the team that handled cultural activities at the school, Organised Commerce Festival at the graduation level

GMAT : I am still preparing but in the mocks I am able to get only 660 (Q 51 and V 28)

I want to apply to top 10 -15 business schools. Pl let me know with my profile and the gmat score, what could be the realistic colleges to apply

If any additional information is needed, pl let me know.

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Fri May 01, 2015 7:24 am
Hi there,

Thanks for sharing your information. Since you haven't taken the GMAT yet and don't have an official score, let's start with your work experience. How many years have you been working? It's great to see that you're leading a team - this will be an important component of your application. Also, your promotion shows that progression in a short period of time. Was this the only one? Keep in mind that the type of work you're doing is common, so while it's great experience, it doesn't separate you from the pack. And add that to the fact that you're in an over-represented pool, it really calls for you to have to find unique traits, capabilities, and experiences for you to draw out in your application.

For your involvement, is this your most recent example of extracurricular activities? If so, this is definitely a weak spot as the AdCom looks for things you're involved in both in school and after you've graduated.

As you know, your academic profile is incomplete. Your grades from school are good, but they won't stand on it's own or help overcome a low GMAT. Some of the flags I called out above will make it difficult for you to apply to top 15 schools, especially with a 660. If your GMAT were to reach 730 or higher, that will certainly help, but even that doesn't give you a golden ticket as applications need to be well-rounded and encompass a holistic story calling out all of the great qualities you exhibit. If there are things that I mentioned that you didn't include, certainly let me know.

What will also be helpful is if you could discuss what you hope to achieve with your MBA. That might give you some options on other schools to apply to outside of the top 20 that still could get you what you need. Best of luck!
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!