Profile Evaluation Solicited

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation Solicited

by catmandoo » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:10 pm
I am targeting MBA from INSEAD/HKUST/IMD. Please evaluate my profile and help me understand the areas that I need to work upon.

Academic Details :-
PG Dip in Banking : 7.25/10.00 CGPA
Graduation : 66.16% (Hotel Management from top hotel mgmt college in India. All India 13th rank in the entrance exam)
H.S.C (Phy,Chem,Maths): 61.27%
S.S.C. : 86.33%

Certifications:
Certified Treasury Professional - AFP, USA
Certification in Treasury and Foreign Exchange Operations, Central Bank of Sri Lanka

Work Experience :-
Total Work Experience : 6 years 4 months (Age:30 years)

1) Bank of America Merrill Lynch (Current)
Type : Banking
Duration : 2 years 6 Months
Domain :Corporate Treasury Management
Role :
  • Managing full range of treasury operations for a number of Fortune 500 companies.
    Team Leader role. People Management.
    Liquidity and Cash Management on behalf of clients.
    Hedging of foreign exchange and interest rate exposures through various risk management techniques including use of derivatives.
    Various other Treasury operations.
Achievements:
High performer in the organization.
Received various awards for operational excellence.
Worked with senior leadership team on key projects beyond my domain benefiting the entire organisation.
Environment ambassador in the company.

Global Exposure: Headed complete migration of treasury activities from Ireland to India. Recognized for smooth transition of all activities.Visited and worked with partners in Dublin.

2) ICICI Bank Ltd
Duration : 3 Years 10 Months
Domain : Bank Treasury management
Role :
  • Managing international treasury operations of ICICI Bank foreign subsidiaries and branches across multiple geographies.
    Managing various foreign currency borrowing and trade products: Bilateral Club and Syndicated loan borrowings, Bankers Acceptance facility, ECA (Export Credit Agency) Borrowings, Medium term notes, Term Loans etc.
    Expertise in processing, settlement and confirmation of forex, derivatives, equities, fixed income and money market instruments:
Achievements:
Various key achievements like setting up of new products and various automation projects.

Extra-Curricular Activities :-
National and State Level Quiz champion
6 Years in Indian Military Corps -NCC
Attended various camps and participated in community development programmes.
Highest grades in NCC Certification Exams at School and College Level (A and B Certifications)
Published photographer and travel blogger.
Various other activities in school and college.

Entrepreneurial skills :-
Presently working on couple of passion projects.Business plan and strategy is ready.

Goal :-
My goal is to work in Financial or management consulting.

Please help me understand the gmat score that I should target? And what are my gaps in my profile and how to cover them. Is my target Bschools a wise choice or should I be looking beyond these bschools i.e INSEAD/IMD/HKUST?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by mcbMcK » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:33 pm
Dear Catmandoo,

A few reflections on your profile and predicaments:
  1. Barring the disconnect in your academic career, your professional career looks steady and consistent. The additional certifications you have done will add credibility to your efforts and commitment of succeeding in your industry. All these are points you should use to overcome the disconnect between hotel management and banking
  2. In terms of GMAT, well I am afraid there is no cookie cutter response there except for saying - higher the better. In general, you should aim at at least a 20+ point above the school average to be away from harm's way considering the typical Indian average
  3. For reasons mentioned here, we refrain from providing gut-based school suggestions. At an overall level though, European schools tend to value international experience or 'more' experience - both of which could be an area of concern in your case. Stating the obvious, if you take out the 1 year constraint, a big world opens up for you out there. ISB won't be a bad choice as the likelihood of achieving your post-MBA goal there would be pretty decent.
Hope this helps,

Cheers,
Last edited by mcbMcK on Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

by catmandoo » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:27 pm
Hi Manish,

Thank you so much for your advice.

The Hotel Management and Banking disconnect has always been an area of concern for me too. But I have done my best to fix that by trying to excel in my profession.
Some people I have asked before say that it actually can be a good and interesting story to tell the adcom and can act as a plus point as the majority of applicant pool consists of Indian IT male. Would you agree on that?

Further, how bad do you think it is?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by mcbMcK » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:05 pm
Well I think it would be stretching imagination by trying to show any linkage between the two. The reasons and explanations have to be personal really. I don't think the situation is irredeemable, just a bit tricky that's all.

Cheers,
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Mansie Dewan Consulting » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:08 pm
catmandoo wrote:I am targeting MBA from INSEAD/HKUST/IMD. Please evaluate my profile and help me understand the areas that I need to work upon.

Academic Details :-
PG Dip in Banking : 7.25/10.00 CGPA
Graduation : 66.16% (Hotel Management from top hotel mgmt college in India. All India 13th rank in the entrance exam)
H.S.C (Phy,Chem,Maths): 61.27%
S.S.C. : 86.33%

Certifications:
Certified Treasury Professional - AFP, USA
Certification in Treasury and Foreign Exchange Operations, Central Bank of Sri Lanka

Work Experience :-
Total Work Experience : 6 years 4 months (Age:30 years)

1) Bank of America Merrill Lynch (Current)
Duration : 2 years 6 Months
Domain :Corporate Treasury Management
Role :
  • Managing full range of treasury operations for a number of Fortune 500 companies.
    Team Leader role. People Management.
    Liquidity and Cash Management on behalf of clients.
    Hedging of foreign exchange and interest rate exposures through various risk management techniques including use of derivatives.
    Various other Treasury operations.
Achievements:
High performer in the organization.
Received various awards for operational excellence.
Worked with senior leadership team on key projects beyond my domain benefiting the entire organisation.
Environment ambassador in the company.

Global Exposure: Headed complete migration of treasury activities from Ireland to India. Recognized for smooth transition of all activities.Visited and worked with partners in Dublin.

2) ICICI Bank Ltd
Duration : 3 Years 10 Months
Domain : Bank Treasury management
Role :
  • Managing international treasury operations of ICICI Bank foreign subsidiaries and branches across multiple geographies.
    Managing various foreign currency borrowing and trade products: Bilateral Club and Syndicated loan borrowings, Bankers Acceptance facility, ECA (Export Credit Agency) Borrowings, Medium term notes, Term Loans etc.
    Expertise in processing, settlement and confirmation of forex, derivatives, equities, fixed income and money market instruments:
Achievements:
Various key achievements like setting up of new products and various automation projects.

Extra-Curricular Activities :-
National and State Level Quiz champion
6 Years in Indian Military Corps -NCC
Attended various camps and participated in community development programmes.
Highest grades in NCC Certification Exams at School and College Level (A and B Certifications)
Published photographer and travel blogger.
Various other activities in school and college.

Entrepreneurial skills :-
Presently working on couple of passion projects.Business plan and strategy is ready.

Goal :-
My goal is to work in Financial or management consulting.

Please help me understand the gmat score that I should target? And what are my gaps in my profile and how to cover them. Is my target Bschools a wise choice or should I be looking beyond these bschools i.e INSEAD/IMD/HKUST?

Hi Catmandoo,

Sheer grit and commitment to professional excellence has bought you thus far. If organizations like Merrill Lynch and ICICI have welcomed you and given you the opportunities to flourish in their environments, why should b-schools doubt you?
And why are self-recriminations getting the better of you? I sincerely hope that you apply to INSEAD, IMD and HKUST. You surely deserve a shot at it! Good Luck and God Bless!
Mansie Dewan

by catmandoo » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:42 am
Thanks Mansie for your motivating words. Certainly it has raised my spirits..