Profile evaluation and admission advice

Launched January 9, 2010
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Profile evaluation and admission advice

by maji.anurag » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:44 am
Hi !

I have completed my Bachelor's degree in civil engineering from one of the top private universities in India.

My undergraduate cumulative GPA is above average( mostly a B+, if converted ). I have a few extra curricular activities under my belt, but nothing very significant.

I have been working with a top international Property insurance firm in a semi-engineering role in Bangalore for the past nine months.

I am preparing for the GMAT now and hope to appear for it sometime in July this year, my target score being a 700 +.

I know this question might have come to you a lot of times , but I am confused between continuing with my job here and later go for an MBA or apply to MIM programs. I am also considering a few of the techno- management programs offered by technical universities (ETH Zurich and TUM for example).

A brief idea about pros and cons of each type of program (including the techno management courses) would be very helpful in making a decision.

My target regions are Europe, US and Canada. Kindly suggest which countries would be favorable for studies considering that I plan to work in the same region for the next few years after completion of my program.

Also, it would be very helpful if you could suggest me measures to improve my candidature for such programs.

Have a good day!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Marcus@VeritasPrep » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:16 am
The way you need to think about this is how significant of an impact do you want your education to be. A top tier MBA will be a significant investment but also has the ability to more radically impact your career. A MIM program will push you along the way, sort of get you to the next level, but will probably have less of an impact on your career in the long run. Technical programs will be more limited in impact but perhaps more direct impact in short term.

Key think you need to ask yourself is what do you want to accomplish? Unless you are certain that one of the programs is the right next step at this point (MBA will require more work exp) I would caution against applying until you have figure out the what and the why.

by maji.anurag » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:57 am
Hi,
Thank you for your response.

Considering the cost component, my current experience and future plans , I will most probably be applying to MIM programs since they will help me grab management theories better since I am from a non business background.

Could you suggest me a few good European/North American programs?

Also, some guidance on how to go about my application and highlight myself as a capable candidate would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:68 members
GMAT Score:750

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:08 am
Check out Duke's Masters in Management Studies program. It's fairly new, but obviously executed by the #1 business school in the US according to Bloomberg Business Week.
Bryant Michaels

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

by maji.anurag » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:48 pm
Thanks for your advice. I have decided on pursuing a Masters in Management instead of an MBA considering the related academic expenses. Could you suggest a few more such courses in the US, the type of work I can expect to pursue after graduation and shine some light on Master in Engineering Management.

Also, it would be very helpful if you could differentiate the management courses in the US from similar courses in Europe.

Followed by:68 members
GMAT Score:750

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:01 pm
Sorry but you will need to do your own research on specific curriculum and program differences. I do not know enough about niche engineering management masters programs in Europe to intelligently compare them to US programs.
Bryant Michaels

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options