Can anyone grade my AWA ?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Can anyone grade my AWA ?

by abhinav.verma09 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:47 am
The Topic :

Over time, the costs of processing go down because as organizations learn how to do things better, they become more efficient. In color film processing, for example, the cost of a 3-by-5-inch print fell from 50 cents for five-day service in 1970 to 20 cents for one-day service in 1984. The same principle applies to the processing of food. And since Olympic Foods will soon celebrate its 25th birthday, we can expect that our
long experience will enable us to minimize costs and thus maximize profits."
Discuss how well reasoned you find this argument. In your discussion be sure to analyze the line of reasoning and the use of evidence in the argument. For example, you may need to consider what questionable assumptions underlie the thinking and what alternative explanations or counterexamples might weaken the conclusion. You can also discuss what sort of evidence would strengthen or refute the argument, what changes in the argument would make it more logically sound, and what, if anything, would help you better evaluate its conclusion.

Thanks in Advance
Attachments
Pg797_arg_1.docx
(131.99 KiB) Downloaded 54 times

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:26 members

by Katharine@GMATPrepNow » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:36 am
Hello abhinav.verma09,

I'd be happy to grade your AWA, but please post the essay text in the forum. That way other people can read it and learn from your work.

Katharine
Katharine Rudzitis - BA
on hiatus until further notice
We have plans to suit every learning style and budget:
- Self-directed video course
- Private online tutoring from 99th-percentile experts
- Combination packages with video course & private tutoring
- Every plan includes 5 full-length practice tests
- Use our video course with Beat The GMAT's free 60-Day Study Guide
- We have dozens of free videos to try out before buying

by abhinav.verma09 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:10 am
Hi Katherine,
Thank you for your help. Here is my AWA.

The conclusion of the argument is not an accurate one as it rests on an unwarranted assumption that the trends in the film processing industry will replicate themselves in the food processing industry. It also assumes that the only way to bring down costs is by increase in efficiency.

The argument cites a piece of evidence which compares the cost of a 3 by 5 inch print for two different years (1970 and 1984) and is an invalid one as it is being done for different time units(1 days vs 5 days). If we assume that the data given for 5 days can give us the per day cost , the cost has gone up from 10 cents/ day to 20 cents/day , which again renders the conclusion invalid.

The author assumes that the food industry will work like film processing industry . This may or may not be true. Food processing industry could go through various technological advancements vastly different from the film processing one. It could be possible that cost could go up in one and could come down in the other. For example in food processing industry machinery would do work faster but would be expensive and hence would drive costs upwards.

The conclusion is also based upon the assumption that efficiency solely determines the costs. This is a loose argument as their could be a number of factors like technology ,skill development , economic outlook of the whole industry , global economy etc which could determines costs. For example in period of recession the cost of raw materials could go up due to low production and unavailability which indeed would drive up finished goods cost.

Lastly the author also assumes that the trend from 1974 to 1980 would continue today. It is something that we cannot be sure of. The present day could be very different from 1974 to 1980 , the economy at that point could be booming and it could be recession today , forcing people to cut spending and bringing down demand for processed food.

The argument can be improved by providing some evidence about how film processing industry and food processing industry have been following similar trends and what factors are responsible for the similarity. It can also explain why other factors are not important In determining costs and if efficiency is the most important and why. Inclusion of information of evidence based on why the two scenarios would be similar ( 1974 to 1980 and 25 years before to now ) would also help in bringing out a strong argument.

Because the argument fails to address several key issues , it does not sound persuasive enough. If it could include items listed above it would make a better case for itself and sound more convincing.

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Katharine@GMATPrepNow » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:38 am
Hello abhinav.verma09,

I hope that these comments help you as you're preparing for the exam.

Writing: You say "their could be a number of factors," but you mean "there could be a number of factors." Try to stay away from using abbreviations like "etc" when possible, because they make the tone of your essay more casual.

Structure: You've got a lot of information in your essay, but I think that it could be organized in a more cohesive way. Aiming for three strong body paragraphs is a good goal, so I think that you could combine some of the smaller sections in this essay to get a better format. Your conclusion is generic and doesn't have much to do with the essay prompt, which will lose points. It's fine to have an essay template, but you need to tailor it for each AWA you complete.

Arguments/Examples: I thought you did a great job finding flaws in the argument: you say we can't necessarily compare the data from such different times, that we can't compare different industries, and that the trend may not have continued. Concentrate on structure and your intro/conclusion to generate points, because you seem to be comfortable with finding examples.

Suggestions for Improvement: You may want to look at our free video (https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... ent?id=771) to get a sense of AWA structure. You've got plenty of good material in this essay, but it needs to be better organized. Work on writing a strong conclusion, and consider adding another sentence in your intro to build it up.

Please let me know if you have any specific questions.

-Katharine
Katharine Rudzitis - BA

by abhinav.verma09 » Mon May 04, 2015 6:24 am
Hi Katharine ,
I will watch all the video lessons. Thanks for the link. Can you come up with a number for my AWA ?
My next AWA would be a better one for sure.

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Katharine@GMATPrepNow » Mon May 04, 2015 11:45 am
Hi abhinav,verma09,

I'd put this essay in the 4.5-5 range. With a little more work on proper structure, you'll be able to reach a top score.

Katharine
Katharine Rudzitis - BA