680[Q49,V34] Should I retake..?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

680[Q49,V34] Should I retake..?

by mallika hunsur » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:30 pm
Hi,

Could anyone please pitch in here with his/her expert opinion..?

I gave the GMAT on the 11th and scored 680[Q49,V34] and IR-3.

I want to know if it's a better idea to retake.

My target schools are Rotterdam-Erasmus, TIAS and Vlerick.

Please help!!

Regards,
Mallika
Last edited by mallika hunsur on Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:28 pm
Hi mallika,

A 680/Q49 is a really strong score (it's just shy of the 90th percentile overall), so you've done well and you likely do not need to retest. You can comfortably apply to any School that you'd like to.

Since the application process involves more than just your GMAT score, you might want to talk all of this over with an Admissions Expert. You'll have to provide information on your overall profile, but the Experts in the Admissions Forum should be able to offer some perspective. You can find them here:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/ask-an-mba-a ... t-f40.html

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by mrinal.p » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:03 pm
For your target schools, your score looks good enough.

How much were you scoring in your practice CATs? If it was in the same range (680-700) then don't bother retaking, but if you were scoring much higher than a retake could boost up your score. While your current score is good enough for your target schools, a higher GMAT can always get you say a better scholarship or financial aid from these schools.

by mallika hunsur » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:55 am
mrinal.p wrote:For your target schools, your score looks good enough.

How much were you scoring in your practice CATs? If it was in the same range (680-700) then don't bother retaking, but if you were scoring much higher than a retake could boost up your score. While your current score is good enough for your target schools, a higher GMAT can always get you say a better scholarship or financial aid from these schools.
Hi Mrinal,

Many thanks for your reply. I am in a tizzy about the below schools-
1) RSM-Erasmus-This seems very good, but students ratings of the school's Career Services seem low
2) EDHEC- this hovers about RSM in all ranking lists,is giving me a good scholarship and has a focus on General Management-Just the thing I want
3) TIAS- is giving me a good scholarship, again in the Netherlands, so gives you a visa to hang around for an year atleast

I wanted to know if you have any thoughts on EDHEC.Is the location of the school an advantage..?Also, how good are their career services, etc..

Many thanks again,
Mallika

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by slevitt » Fri May 22, 2015 8:39 am
Hi Mallika,

Did you decide to retake?

by slevitt » Fri May 22, 2015 8:39 am
Hi Mallika,

by mallika hunsur » Wed May 27, 2015 3:22 am
slevitt wrote:Hi Mallika,

Hi Slevitt,

I didn't get any notifications on replies on this thread, and came across this only today!
I have a 680 with which I can apply to my target schools, considering I have a good profile.
So I am doing the running around for other things as of now.

That said, it looks like a score of 720 or more will get me a better scholarship and that's close to 8000 Euros.So I am planning to retake :|
And I made this decision just this morning! It means I have to surpass 720 and I have to work with that in mind now.

What about you?Plan to re-take or just getting started?

Regards,
Mallika

by slevitt » Thu May 28, 2015 11:01 am
mallika hunsur wrote:

Hi Slevitt,

I didn't get any notifications on replies on this thread, and came across this only today!
I have a 680 with which I can apply to my target schools, considering I have a good profile.

That said, it looks like a score of 720 or more will get me a better scholarship and that's close to 8000 Euros.So I am planning to retake :|
And I made this decision just this morning! It means I have to surpass 720 and I have to work with that in mind now.

Regards,
Mallika
Hey Mallika, thanks for getting back. We're really on the same page here. I also scored a 680, and I decided to retake as well for a few reasons after doing some more research, and connecting with Margaret at Stacy Blackman. The difference between even a 680 and a 720 could mean the difference between acceptance and rejection for a school that could open up so many doors, plus it could boost the chances of earning some scholarships. I figure what else am I doing with my time that's more important than that? I signed up for a study plan designed for retakers, and found out a good tip to secure at least my 680 on the score reports just in case the retake doesn't go as planned.

Let's stay in touch about it and good luck!

by mallika hunsur » Sun May 31, 2015 5:33 am
slevitt wrote:
mallika hunsur wrote:

Hi Slevitt,

Regards,
Mallika
Hey Mallika, thanks for getting back. We're really on the same page here. I also scored a 680, and I decided to retake as well for a few reasons after doing some more research, and connecting with Margaret at Stacy Blackman. The difference between even a 680 and a 720 could mean the difference between acceptance and rejection for a school that could open up so many doors, plus it could boost the chances of earning some scholarships. I figure what else am I doing with my time that's more important than that? I signed up for a study plan designed for retakers, and found out a good tip to secure at least my 680 on the score reports just in case the retake doesn't go as planned.

Let's stay in touch about it and good luck!
Sure Slevitt! Have you decided on a date yet..? I haven't booked a slot yet..it's been 2 months since I took the test and I will need to get back into the groove :|
What about you..?

by slevitt » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:10 am
Me neither. I haven't pulled the trigger on the test date yet, probably because I want to wait to see I can consistently score over 700. I've been doing questions out of the OG, but my studying hasn't been as structured as I know it needs to be. I plan to get serious next week since it looks like I'll have a couple of windows to head out of the office early.

by Shilpa77 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:09 am
Hi Slevitt,

I have scored 670 (Q49,V31) on GMAT and planning to apply for ISB 2016 intake.
As I still have some time for applications, I am giving a thought to retake the GMAT.
Can you please share the study plan for retakers, you are planning to follow?
Also, if by chance I score less in my second attempt,how can I make sure I still retain my previous score?
Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Shilpa

by Shilpa77 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:10 am
Hi Slevitt,

I have scored 670 (Q49,V31) on GMAT and planning to apply for ISB 2016 intake.
As I still have some time for applications, I am giving a thought to retake the GMAT.
Can you please share the study plan for retakers, you are planning to follow?
Also, if by chance I score less in my second attempt,how can I make sure I still retain my previous score?
Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Shilpa

by slevitt » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:11 pm
Hi Shilpa,

I signed up for EmpowerGMAT and am using the Score Booster total study plan, which is for retakers. It's been awesome so far, and I've also been able to take advantage of this nice block of time I've had of late to make the most out of the course.

The advice about the score report strategy is from a podcast in the course. Essentially, the way it works is that you make sure your current scores are sent out in the same admissions year you're going to apply, and when you retake, hold off on reporting until after the test. There's some more to it than that, but what it allows you to do is secure your current score, and they'll only see your new score if you do better.

p.s. I've attached the study plan for you if you want to download it.
Attachments
EMPOWERgmat Score Booster Total.pdf
(893.05 KiB) Downloaded 76 times

by gamecomplete » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:33 am
Slevitt, I'm very intrigued by the score reporting strategy. Do you mind elaborating? Thanks for your time!

by kennethbbb » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:40 am
Yes, slevitt. Do tell!

I already have a pretty decent score, so your advice would be much appreciated.