Hi,

Please help with this one!!!

Regards,
Mallika

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:28 am
Radio stations with radio data system (RDS) technology broadcast special program information that only radios with an RDS feature can receive. Between 1994 and 1996, the number of RDS radio stations in Verdland increased from 250 to 600. However, since the number of RDS-equipped radios in Verdland was about the same in 1996 as in 1994, the number of Verdlanders receiving the special program information probably did not increase significantly. Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A. Few if any of the RDS radio stations that began broadcasting in Verdland after 1994 broadcast to people with RDS-equipped radios living in areas not previously reached by RDS stations.
B. In 1996 most Verdlanders who lived within the listening area of an RDS station already had a radio equipped to receive RDS.
C. Equipping a radio station with RDS technology does not decrease the station's listening area.
D. In 1996 Verdlanders who did not own radios equipped to receive RDS could not receive any programming from the RDS radio stations that began broadcasting in Verdland after 1994.
E. The RDS radio stations in Verdland in 1996 did not all offer the same type of programming.
This passage exhibits a language shift.
The premise is about X: The number of RADIOS stayed the same.
The conclusion is about Y: The number of VERDLANDERS hearing the special programming did not increase.

The passage assumes that X is linked to Y: that the number of RADIOS is linked to the number of VERDLANDERS.

What information does the passage ignore?
The 350 new radio STATIONS.
If these 350 new STATIONS reached more people, then the number of VERDLANDERS hearing the special programming likely INCREASED.
Thus, for the conclusion to be valid, it must be true that these 350 new stations did NOT reach more people.
Answer choice A states this assumption: few if any...of the RDS stations...broadcast to people...not previously reached by RDS stations.

The correct answer is A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by src_saurav » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:43 am
Hi Mitch,My answer is D as my assumption was that in order to hear RDS station,one needs RDS equipped radios in hand.

Please let me know why this is not correct.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:26 am
src_saurav wrote:Hi Mitch,My answer is D as my assumption was that in order to hear RDS station,one needs RDS equipped radios in hand.

An assumption is WHAT MUST BE TRUE for the conclusion to be valid.
Apply the NEGATION TEST.
When the correct answer choice is negated, the CONCLUSION will be invalidated.
Answer choice D, negated:
In 1996 Verdlanders who did not own radios equipped to receive RDS could receive programming from the RDS radio stations.
The negation of D contradicts the PREMISE that ONLY RADIOS WITH RDS could receive the special programming from RDS stations.
The negation of the correct answer choice may not contradict a premise.
A premise is a FACT; it cannot be contradicted.
Eliminate D.

Answer choice A, negated:
Many RDS radio stations began broadcasting to people living in areas not previously reached by RDS stations.
The negation of the OA indicates that RDS STATIONS began broadcasting to a WIDER AREA, allowing these stations to reach more people and invalidating the CONCLUSION that the number of Verdlanders receiving the special program information probably did not increase significantly.

The correct answer is A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:740

by richachampion » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:57 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
src_saurav wrote:Hi Mitch,My answer is D as my assumption was that in order to hear RDS station,one needs RDS equipped radios in hand.

An assumption is WHAT MUST BE TRUE for the conclusion to be valid.
Apply the NEGATION TEST.
When the correct answer choice is negated, the CONCLUSION will be invalidated.
Answer choice D, negated:
In 1996 Verdlanders who did not own radios equipped to receive RDS could receive programming from the RDS radio stations.
The negation of D contradicts the PREMISE that ONLY RADIOS WITH RDS could receive the special programming from RDS stations.
The negation of the correct answer choice may not contradict a premise.
A premise is a FACT; it cannot be contradicted.
Eliminate D.

Answer choice A, negated:
Many RDS radio stations began broadcasting to people living in areas not previously reached by RDS stations.
The negation of the OA indicates that RDS STATIONS began broadcasting to a WIDER AREA, allowing these stations to reach more people and invalidating the CONCLUSION that the number of Verdlanders receiving the special program information probably did not increase significantly.

The correct answer is A.
Sir,

Can you please negate the answer choice C also. I have doubt understanding that.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:14 pm
richachampion wrote: Sir,

Can you please negate the answer choice C also. I have doubt understanding that.
The negation of the correct answer choice must invalidate the conclusion.
C, negated:
Equipping a radio station with RDS technology decreases the station's listening area.
If anything, this negation STRENGTHENS the conclusion that the number of Verdlanders receiving the special program information probably did not increase significantly.
Since the negation of C does not invalidate the conclusion, eliminate C.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by richachampion » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:18 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
richachampion wrote: Sir,

The negation of the correct answer choice must invalidate the conclusion.
C, negated:
Equipping a radio station with RDS technology decreases the station's listening area.
If anything, this negation STRENGTHENS the conclusion that the number of Verdlanders receiving the special program information probably did not increase significantly.
Since the negation of C does not invalidate the conclusion, eliminate C.
This is the Current version of C:
C. Equipping a radio station with RDS technology does not decrease the station's listening area.

So if we look at it another way and say -
C. Equipping a radio station with RDS technology decreases the station's listening area.

If this had been the Option C then the Option C would have been the contender of correct answer Choice.

This is the Conclusion:
the number of Verdlanders receiving the special program information probably did not increase significantly.

So what is the sample space?

Should we understand this from "Didn't Increase significantly." that either it remained static, say if it was 100 then it remained 100 or even less than 100.

So based on conclusion sample space can be mathematically written as:
<=100 [Less than equal to 100]

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:03 pm
richachampion wrote:So if we look at it another way and say -
C. Equipping a radio station with RDS technology decreases the station's listening area.

If this had been the Option C then the Option C would have been the contender of correct answer Choice.
C would be a viable option if it read as follows:
Equipping a radio station with RDS technology does not significantly increase the station's listening area.
If we were to negate this option, we would get:
Equipping a radio station with RDS technology significantly increases the station's listening area.
This negation would invalidate the conclusion that the number of Verdlanders receiving the special program information probably did not increase.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by richachampion » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:42 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
richachampion wrote:So if we look at it another way and say -

C would be a viable option if it read as follows:
Equipping a radio station with RDS technology does not significantly increase the station's listening area.
If we were to negate this option, we would get:
Equipping a radio station with RDS technology significantly increases the station's listening area.
This negation would invalidate the conclusion that the number of Verdlanders receiving the special program information probably did not increase.
That is the real confusion to me in negation. I sometimes go in doubt what to negate.
I am sharing one more "GMAT PREP" question

Researchers have found that when very overweight people, who tend to have relatively low metabolic rates, lose weight primarily through dieting, their metabolism generally remain unchanged. They will thus burn significantly fewer calories at the new weight than do people whose weight is normally at that level. Such newly thin persons will, therefore, ultimately regain weight until their body size again matches their metabolic rate.

The conclusion of the argument above depends on which of the following assumptions?

A: Relatively few very overweight people who have dieted down to a new weight tend to continue to consume substantially fewer calories than do people whose normal weight is at that level.
B: The metabolisms of people who are usually not overweight are much more able to vary than the metabolisms of people who have been very overweight.
C: The amount of calories that a person usually burns in a day is determined more by the amount that is consumed that day than by the current weight of the individual.
D: Researchers have not yet determined whether the metabolic rates of formerly very overweight individuals can be accelerated by means of chemical agents.
E: Because of the constancy of their metabolic rates, people who are at their usual weight normally have as much difficulty gaining weight as they do losing it.

Now How will we negate C?
C: The amount of calories that a person usually burns in a day is determined more by the amount that is consumed that day than by the current weight of the individual.

Negation 1: C: The amount of calories that a person usually burns in a day is determined less by the amount that is consumed that day than by the current weight of the individual.

Negation 2: C: The amount of calories that a person usually burns in a day is determined more by by the current weight of the individual then by the amount that is consumed that day than

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:37 pm
richachampion wrote:That is the real confusion to me in negation. I sometimes go in doubt what to negate.
I am sharing one more "GMAT PREP" question

Researchers have found that when very overweight people, who tend to have relatively low metabolic rates, lose weight primarily through dieting, their metabolism generally remain unchanged. They will thus burn significantly fewer calories at the new weight than do people whose weight is normally at that level. Such newly thin persons will, therefore, ultimately regain weight until their body size again matches their metabolic rate.

The conclusion of the argument above depends on which of the following assumptions?

A: Relatively few very overweight people who have dieted down to a new weight tend to continue to consume substantially fewer calories than do people whose normal weight is at that level.
B: The metabolisms of people who are usually not overweight are much more able to vary than the metabolisms of people who have been very overweight.
D: Researchers have not yet determined whether the metabolic rates of formerly very overweight individuals can be accelerated by means of chemical agents.
E: Because of the constancy of their metabolic rates, people who are at their usual weight normally have as much difficulty gaining weight as they do losing it.

Now How will we negate C?

Negation 1: C: The amount of calories that a person usually burns in a day is determined less by the amount that is consumed that day than by the current weight of the individual.

Negation 2: C: The amount of calories that a person usually burns in a day is determined more by by the current weight of the individual then by the amount that is consumed that day than
In most cases, the easiest way to negate an answer choice is to reverse the main verb.
Main verb in C: is determined.
Reversal of the main verb: is NOT determined.
I discuss the negation of C -- and the reason that this answer choice is incorrect -- here:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/assumption-t86115.html

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3