Pls give feedback to my writing

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Pls give feedback to my writing

by gmatmba2016 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:31 pm
Pls give feedback to my writing, i am very confused about my conclusion. How to make it better :(
Thank you in advance.
The following appeared in an article in the health section of a newspaper.
"There is a common misconception that university hospitals are better than community or private hospitals. This notion is unfounded, however: the university hospitals in our region employ 15 percent fewer doctors, have a 20 percent lower success rate in treating patients, make far less overall profit, and pay their medical staff considerably less than do private hospitals. Furthermore, many doctors at university hospitals typically divide their time among teaching, conducting research, and treating patients. From this it seems clear that the quality of care at university hospitals is lower than that at other kinds of hospitals."
Premise 1 : the local university hospitals employ 15 percent fewer doctors, have a 20 percent lower success rate in treating patients, make far less overall profit, and pay medical staff considerably less than do private ones.
Premise 2 : Many doctors at university hospitals typically divide their time among teaching, conducting research, and treating patients.
Conclusion : The quality of care at university hospitals is lower than that at other kinds of hospitals .
Unstated premises: university hospitals in this region are representative of all university hospitals
In this argument, the author concludes that the quality of care at university hospitals is lower than that at other kinds of hospitals such as community or private ones. To support this conclusion, the author cites some facts at university hospitals in a region that the local university hospitals have 15 percent fewer doctors, have a 20 percent lower success rate in treating patients, make less profit and pay medical staff significantly less than do privates ones and that doctors at university hospitals typically divide their time among teaching, conducting research, and treating patients. Stated in this way, the argument fails to mention several key factors of which it could be evaluated. The conclusion of the argument relies on assumption for which there is no evidence. Hence, the argument is rather weak, unconvincing and has several flaws.
First, the argument readily assumes that the university hospitals in the region are representative of all university hospitals. This statement is a stretch, the author does not give any more information how are the same between university hospitals and other ones outside the region. It could be true that the local hospitals are actually very poor because of lacking of funds from the government but it is not the case for other university hospitals in other regions. The argument could been much more clearer if it explicitly stated how the university hospitals in the region are representative of all university hospitals.
Second, the argument claims that the local university hospitals have 15 percent fewer doctors, have a 20 percent lower success rate in treating patients, make less profit and pay medical staff significantly less than do privates ones and that doctors at university hospitals typically divide their time among teaching, conducting research, and treating patients. This is again a very weak and unsupported claim as the author does not demonstrate any correlation between these indicators and the quality of care. For example, the patients who have very serious illness prefer the university hospitals rather than other community or private ones because of the quality of care but since serious illness tends to have less percentage of success. That is why the university hospitals have lower success rate in treating patients. In addition, although doctors at university hospitals spend their time in several tasks such as conducting research, teaching and treating patients, it does not mean they are poor at caring patients. Whether these indicators are reliable for citing the quality of caring at the hospitals. Without convincing evidence to this question, one is left with the impression that the claim is more of a wishful thinking rather than substantiate evidence. As the result, the conclusion has no legs to stand on.
In summary, the argument is flawed for above mentioned reasons and is therefore unconvincing. It could be considerably strengthened if the author mentioned all relevant facts. In order to access the merits of a certain situation, it is essential to have full knowledge of all contributing factors. In this case, how the university hospitals are representative of all university hospitals and whether the factors mentioned are good indicators for the quality of care in the university hospitals should be showed. Without this information, the argument remains unsubstantiated and opens to debate.
541 words.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:26 members

by Katharine@GMATPrepNow » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:50 pm
Hello gmatmba2016,

For your last response, I recommended tailoring your conclusion to the issue at hand, instead of using a generic conclusion. I also suggested cutting down on complicated sentences that confuse the reader.

Writing: You did a better job of reducing long sentences, but you should still be attentive to sentence length. There are a few confusing phrases that need to be fixed, such as "any more information how are the same between university hospitals" and "claim is more of a wishful thinking rather than substantiate evidence." Make sure to reread your response before submitting so you can catch these problems.

Structure: Make sure to separate your paragraphs: I think that your conclusion and final body paragraph got combined by accident. Your intro clearly states the author's argument, which is great. Your body paragraphs show different reasons that the author's argument is flawed, but the conclusion still needs a little work. It needs more details that connect it to this prompt, but I do see that you tried to add in some info about the prompt.

Arguments/Examples: I like how you found several different problems in the author's argument. You seem to be good at picking apart arguments when you write your response, so I don't think that you need to worry about this part of the essay.

Suggestions for Improvement: Continue looking for long sentences and try to make them shorter when possible. Your conclusion is better than last time, because you included some information from the prompt ("In this case, how the university hospitals are representative of all university hospitals and whether the factors mentioned are good indicators for the quality of care in the university hospitals should be showed"). However, the rest of the conclusion has nothing to do with the prompt. I could take any argument and use this conclusion to sum up my essay. I suggest making the first sentence in your conclusion something that relates to the argument. If you started with "The author fails to provide convincing evidence that university hospitals have lower quality of care" or "Because the author fails to include information about university hospitals" or something like these sentences, your conclusion would be more connected to the prompt.

I hope the info about your conclusion helps. Please let me know if you have other questions.
Katharine Rudzitis - BA
on hiatus until further notice
We have plans to suit every learning style and budget:
- Self-directed video course
- Private online tutoring from 99th-percentile experts
- Combination packages with video course & private tutoring
- Every plan includes 5 full-length practice tests
- Use our video course with Beat The GMAT's free 60-Day Study Guide
- We have dozens of free videos to try out before buying

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by gmatmba2016 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:38 am
Katharine@GMATPrepNow wrote:Hello gmatmba2016,

For your last response, I recommended tailoring your conclusion to the issue at hand, instead of using a generic conclusion. I also suggested cutting down on complicated sentences that confuse the reader.

Writing: You did a better job of reducing long sentences, but you should still be attentive to sentence length. There are a few confusing phrases that need to be fixed, such as "any more information how are the same between university hospitals" and "claim is more of a wishful thinking rather than substantiate evidence." Make sure to reread your response before submitting so you can catch these problems.

Structure: Make sure to separate your paragraphs: I think that your conclusion and final body paragraph got combined by accident. Your intro clearly states the author's argument, which is great. Your body paragraphs show different reasons that the author's argument is flawed, but the conclusion still needs a little work. It needs more details that connect it to this prompt, but I do see that you tried to add in some info about the prompt.

Arguments/Examples: I like how you found several different problems in the author's argument. You seem to be good at picking apart arguments when you write your response, so I don't think that you need to worry about this part of the essay.

Suggestions for Improvement: Continue looking for long sentences and try to make them shorter when possible. Your conclusion is better than last time, because you included some information from the prompt ("In this case, how the university hospitals are representative of all university hospitals and whether the factors mentioned are good indicators for the quality of care in the university hospitals should be showed"). However, the rest of the conclusion has nothing to do with the prompt. I could take any argument and use this conclusion to sum up my essay. I suggest making the first sentence in your conclusion something that relates to the argument. If you started with "The author fails to provide convincing evidence that university hospitals have lower quality of care" or "Because the author fails to include information about university hospitals" or something like these sentences, your conclusion would be more connected to the prompt.

I hope the info about your conclusion helps. Please let me know if you have other questions.
Thank Katharine so much again. I tried as U told last time. I will try one more time :D