Planning to Do EMBA- Need Advice

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Planning to Do EMBA- Need Advice

by rakesh5047 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:30 am
Hi Team,

I am Rakesh, who is planning to pursue MBA. Please have a look at my profile and tell me what should I do for building my profile suitable for top notch B-Schools. Between I am planning to write GMAT this August.

My Details:

SSC (X) - 77.5%
HSC (XII)- 67.5%
UG (B.E) - 69.35% (E.E.E- Anna University,Chennai, India)

Work Experience: 4.8 years of IT experience

I am currently working at Infosys Technologies Ltd for 2.8 years. Working on India Based Project and working at Client's place for more interaction and preparation of Client requirements and development activities. And also handling a team of 11 people .Have worked well here so far and have also received client appreciation and 2 times IKON Award winner in my current project for the impact analysis I have done.
Won a Spot Award appreciation from the organization for Q2,2012-13. Conducted many Team Building activities, Technological Themes to encourage the team members and involved in Client Interactive meetings.
And have completed quite a few certifications in Java technologies & Oracle DB.

Past Experience:

Previously, I was working with OnMobile Global limited as an Application Developer for 1.6 years in Telecom Domain. Directly involved with Client for gathering requirements and developing the Software applications and handling a team of 8 members to co-ordinate the activity. Won 2 Awards (Star Performer & IKON award) for the excellent performance in the Product Development and Implementation.

Extra Curricular Activities:

1. Participated in Inter-College Dance competition.
2. Actively participated in the College NSS(National Social Service) Activities.
3. Part of College and Company Unit Cricket team.
4. Have keen interest towards the CSR (Corporate Social Responsibilities) and participated in the Corporate Blood Donor camps.

Now I am planning to do an Executive MBA from Wharton/Harvard University.

Please evaluate my profile and let me know what are my chances of getting through Wharton/Harvard University. And also let me know what should be the eligible GMAT Score for my profile?

Thanks,
Rakesh G

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:35 members

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:23 am
HBS does not offer an Executive MBA and only offers Executive Education. Also, unlike full-time MBA programs, most Executive MBA programs do not offer F1 visas and expect non-US citizens and permanent residents to have an H1B visa (or other work visa).

So, if you wish to attend a U.S.-based Executive MBA program my advice would be to be first transferred within your work to the U.S.

There are other Global EMBA's such as the EMBA-Global Asia offered jointly by LBS, Columbia Business School, and HKU Business School where the visa requirements might be different. If you are considering one of these programs (or arrange employment in the area of the world where you will attend the EMBA program) a mid-600 to 700 GMAT score should be sufficient. Emphasize your leadership and managerial competencies as well as the value of the EMBA to your employer.

Best of luck,
Michael Cohan
MBAPrepAdvantage Founder & AIGAC Board Director
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Please thank and/or like individual posts.

Follow Michael Cohan on Image Image and BeattheGMAT.
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on Image Image Image.

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.

by nishi12 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:00 am
I am currently working with Met Life Insurance Australia (Finance Team) for about 4.5 years now. Lately, I've been really concerned about where my life is headed too. Not having a post graduate degree is sort of worrying me now. Finances play a crucial role in everybody's life and at this moment, they've got me worrying. So, I spoke to a few colleagues of mine and was suggested to go ahead with an EMBA (it's a hit lately, they said) and I seem to have agreed to it too. Given the employment crisis these days, I'm not really keen on leaving the job. Like, I honestly don't' know how to go on about it. I require some guidance. Thank you in advance!

by raj.arora » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:09 am
nishi12 wrote:I am currently working with Met Life Insurance Australia (Finance Team) for about 4.5 years now. Lately, I've been really concerned about where my life is headed too. Not having a post graduate degree is sort of worrying me now. Finances play a crucial role in everybody's life and at this moment, they've got me worrying. So, I spoke to a few colleagues of mine and was suggested to go ahead with an EMBA (it's a hit lately, they said) and I seem to have agreed to it too. Given the employment crisis these days, I'm not really keen on leaving the job. Like, I honestly don't' know how to go on about it. I require some guidance. Thank you in advance!
Let's go step by step. A) I would give you a thumbs-up for taking the decision of doing and MBA. B) MBA has got varieties, like Executive MBA (EMBA) , MBA, Distance MBA, etc. If you go for an EMBA - you'd not have to give up on your job as it gives you freedom to work along its course. So you study and work simultaneously. By the end of it, you attain your desired level, hence uplifting your financial life. About distance MBA, it is convenient for working professionals however the personal interaction will be missing which according to me is a huge loss. MBA and GMBA, both would again boost your academic qualification and also the zero's on your pay slip. And if you're worried about not getting employed later because of the current scenario, you really don't have to worry about that as these programs come with really attractive placements. All you have to aim for is a good bschool. Can you share your scores if you don't' mind? I might end up helping you better that way.

by nishi12 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:13 am
So in short you want to say that EMBA/MBA/GMBA are the options to select from? Again, which of the 2 would be more beneficial? Scores: 10th Grade - 85%, 12th Grade - 80.23% (CBSE board, India) Graduation - 82.86%. My father settled in Australia some 7 years ago and I moved in with my family after I graduated. They don't really have plans to get back to India which quite suggests that I'd have to stay back as well. So, I would want to take up a course which serves an Australian degree itself. So can you suggest me colleges accordingly?

by nishi12 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:14 am
So in short you want to say that EMBA/MBA/GMBA are the options to select from? Again, which of the 2 would be more beneficial? Scores: 10th Grade - 85%, 12th Grade - 80.23% (CBSE board, India) Graduation - 82.86%. My father settled in Australia some 7 years ago and I moved in with my family after I graduated. They don't really have plans to get back to India which quite suggests that I'd have to stay back as well. So, I would want to take up a course which serves an Australian degree itself. So can you suggest me colleges accordingly?
Last edited by nishi12 on Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

by nishi12 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:16 am

by raj.arora » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:22 am
nishi12 wrote:So in short you want to say that EMBA/MBA/GMBA are the options to select from? Again, which of the 2 would be more beneficial? Scores: 10th Grade - 85%, 12th Grade - 80.23% (CBSE board, India) Graduation - 82.86%. My father settled in Australia some 7 years ago and I moved in with my family after I graduated. They don't really have plans to get back to India which quite suggests that I'd have to stay back as well. So, I would want to take up a course which serves an Australian degree itself. So can you suggest me colleges accordingly?
Lol. Will reply even if you post it once! :P
So all the 3 types of MBAs are really effective. But of course, MBA and GMBA have an upper hand because the placements which happen in both these courses are class apart. EMBA doesn't provide with a placement as the whole point of doing an EMBA is study + work. This is what draws a thin line between EMBA and MBA/GMBA. Speaking about your scores, you would have to give entrance exams for b schools. And not to forget your experience! It is sufficient enough. But, for now, time demands you to focus on scoring exceptionally well in GMAT, which in turn would land you in good bschool. You have plenty of time to decide which MBA to step into. Melbourne Business School, University of Sydney, S P Jain Global, UNSW are good ones to mention.

by nishi12 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:24 am
raj.arora wrote:
nishi12 wrote:So in short you want to say that EMBA/MBA/GMBA are the options to select from? Again, which of the 2 would be more beneficial? Scores: 10th Grade - 85%, 12th Grade - 80.23% (CBSE board, India) Graduation - 82.86%. My father settled in Australia some 7 years ago and I moved in with my family after I graduated. They don't really have plans to get back to India which quite suggests that I'd have to stay back as well. So, I would want to take up a course which serves an Australian degree itself. So can you suggest me colleges accordingly?
Lol. Will reply even if you post it once! :P
So all the 3 types of MBAs are really effective. But of course, MBA and GMBA have an upper hand because the placements which happen in both these courses are class apart. EMBA doesn't provide with a placement as the whole point of doing an EMBA is study + work. This is what draws a thin line between EMBA and MBA/GMBA. Speaking about your scores, you would have to give entrance exams for b schools. And not to forget your experience! It is sufficient enough. But, for now, time demands you to focus on scoring exceptionally well in GMAT, which in turn would land you in good bschool. You have plenty of time to decide which MBA to step into. Melbourne Business School, University of Sydney, S P Jain Global, UNSW are good ones to mention.
:P some issues with my internet!

Alright then , GMAT it is. If I'm not wrong, it's a 800 marks test right? So to land into one of these colleges, what should be my ideal score? Also, when does GMAT happen? What time of the year?

by nishi12 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:27 am
GMAT happens year long. You have to book the date of your choice and go and give the test. So that makes it easy and convenient for you too. About the score, you need at least 660-670+ to opt for these colleges.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:35 members

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:15 pm
I have been away from this thread for a while. I was at our AIGAC Conference in Europe (www.aigac.org).
If I am reading this correctly, the decision of an EMBA versus an MBA should not be based on trends. First of all the difference between an MBA and a GMBA is the inclusion of one or more international schools or campuses to make the degree "Global". Likewise, the same is true for an EMBA versus a GEMBA degree.

Which schools and programs are you comparing?
Michael Cohan
MBAPrepAdvantage Founder & AIGAC Board Director
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Please thank and/or like individual posts.

Follow Michael Cohan on Image Image and BeattheGMAT.
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on Image Image Image.

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.