Considering the necessity for a new benchmarking policy

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
Considering the necessity for a new benchmarking policy, Brownstone Inc assessed an innovative methodology to monitor its competitors' progress, compare market behaviors, and indicate whether it should conduct routine surveys of companies in other markets.

A. to monitor its competitors' progress, compare market behaviors, and indicate
B. monitoring its competitors' progress, compared market behaviors, and indicated
C. to monitor its competitors' progress, and it compared market behaviors indicating
D. monitoring its competitors' progress and comparing market behaviors indicating
E. to monitor its competitors' progress and compare market behaviors, indicating

OA: A

P.S: I'm stuck between A & E (albeit more inclined to A but need some solid reasons to eliminate E).
@Experts - could you please share your detail analysis.Much thanks in advance.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:35 am
Brownstone Inc assessed an innovative methodology to monitor its competitors' progress.
This sentence conveys an illogical meaning.
The purpose of the assessment was not TO MONITOR the progress of Brownstone's competitors.
Rather, Brownstone ASSESSED the methodology in order to determine the SUITABILITY of the methodology.
I would ignore this SC.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3