Profile Evaluation - EMBA/Part-time MBA

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation - EMBA/Part-time MBA

by CyborgNinja18 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:43 pm
Hi,

I wanted to get some opinion on my chances to get into UC Berkeley EWMBA, Wharton EMBA or Booth part-time MBA. Please provide some opinion on what needs to be improved.

First the bad part...my GMAT score is 680 (48Q, 36V, 5IR) :(.

I am an Indian male (30 yrs) with 7+ years of US work exp in consumer electronics field earned in very well known companies. I am working as an Engineering Manager for the last 3.5 yrs and now am almost a senior manager (have few managers directly reporting to me). Have handled very well known customer programs and I was/am doing work which had/has organization wide impact. I hope this can show my leadership story.

I think I can get good LOR's from my VP's, Directors because I work very closely with them.

Undergrad GPA (done from India from a not so well known univ) - 3.9-4.0 (Ranked 3rd in class)
Grad from a US university (MS in EE) - 3.66 GPA

Have actively participated in sports leagues competitively - Cricket and Tennis. Not much community experience.

Growth story - have been active engineer for 1st 1-2 years and then was given lead role which turned into mgmt role.

Thanks a lot again.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by mcbMcK » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:50 pm
Dear CyborgNinja18,

Here are a few point for you to consider:
  1. The good news is for the non-fulltime courses, the entry barriers tend to be lower. I wouldn't really consider your GMAT score to be a dampener in that sense. We've had folks at your and below GMAT crack it. Read the story here for more.
  2. The nature and quality of your experience takes precedence. It is not clear what aspect of consumer electronics engg you manage, but since you do seem to have leadership experience in an international setting, that will be a huge plus
  3. The biggest thing to be clear on is to know what you can and cannot get out of a part time course. Make sure you are able to elucidate your career goals well and have solid backing from your organization to this effect.
All the best

Cheers,
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:41 am
Hi there,

Thanks for sharing your profile. I would agree that you have a profile that is aligned for many part-time programs - we've helped many of our clients with similar backgrounds get into these very programs. Be sure to think about which type of program you're targeting. Wharton's EMBA is not the same as the part-time (evening/weekend) programs at Booth and Haas. Given your experience, I would suggest leaning towards a true part-time program as you may not fit the bill for an executive program quite yet (the average experience in executive programs is at least 8 years with 5 of them being spent managing a team). The way to think about this is to ask how you want your MBA to help you in the near term. Take a peak at our video here under "Thinking about Career Enablement" to get some tips on this topic.

Also, as you discussed, your involvement is lacking, so try your best to find something you're passionate about and get involved. Even if you're applying soon, something is better than nothing. Hope this helps!

Best of luck!
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!