WE-5yrs/GMAT 710/Started a company/Engineering background

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi Experts!

Can you take a look at my profile and suggest if I can try for one of the below mentioned B-School?

Education:

Pursuing Post Grad:MSc in Numerical methods from UPC (finishing this summer), living in Barcelona,Spain currently.

Undergrad(2005-2009):Mechanical Engineering from National Institute of technology, Silchar, India (6.46/10)

Work Experience:

Director(Non-Executive) at Livmore Nutritions (Since August 2013): Cofounded and established a health food chain, developed 7 outlets spread throughout gurgaon,India, found an angel investor. Further wish to develop it into a one stop lifestyle consultancy.

Assisstant Manager at Maruti Suzuki R&D India(Mar 2013 - Aug 2014): Received at 70% salary hike, vehicle testing engineer, developed brake systems for new models, trained 3 engineering trainees, verified & managed market complaints.

Honda Cars India Ltd(April 2010 - Mar 2013): Core team member chassis development for Honda Brio from prototype to production over a period of three years, Only person from Honda India ever chosen for expert driving training in Honda R&D Japan, Worked in Japan for 3 months along with Honda R&D.

Overseas Experience: Twice Japan(3 months), Spain(living currently since Sep 2014)

GMAT: 710

Volunteer work for NGO Prakriti: Collected and provided educational resources for poor children.

Public speaker on health and fitness.

Target program: International MBA

Target Schools: IESE, ESADE, IE, SDA, HEC paris, INSEAD.

Which US schools can I look at if at all I have a chance?

Thanks & Regards
Anshuman

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by GeneralEducation » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:55 am
anshmania8 wrote:Hi Experts!

Can you take a look at my profile and suggest if I can try for one of the below mentioned B-School?

Education:

Pursuing Post Grad:MSc in Numerical methods from UPC (finishing this summer), living in Barcelona,Spain currently.

Undergrad(2005-2009):Mechanical Engineering from National Institute of technology, Silchar, India (6.46/10)

Work Experience:

Director(Non-Executive) at Livmore Nutritions (Since August 2013): Cofounded and established a health food chain, developed 7 outlets spread throughout gurgaon,India, found an angel investor. Further wish to develop it into a one stop lifestyle consultancy.

Assisstant Manager at Maruti Suzuki R&D India(Mar 2013 - Aug 2014): Received at 70% salary hike, vehicle testing engineer, developed brake systems for new models, trained 3 engineering trainees, verified & managed market complaints.

Honda Cars India Ltd(April 2010 - Mar 2013): Core team member chassis development for Honda Brio from prototype to production over a period of three years, Only person from Honda India ever chosen for expert driving training in Honda R&D Japan, Worked in Japan for 3 months along with Honda R&D.

Overseas Experience: Twice Japan(3 months), Spain(living currently since Sep 2014)

GMAT: 710

Volunteer work for NGO Prakriti: Collected and provided educational resources for poor children.

Public speaker on health and fitness.

Target program: International MBA

Target Schools: IESE, ESADE, IE, SDA, HEC paris, INSEAD.

Which US schools can I look at if at all I have a chance?

Thanks & Regards
Anshuman
Hi Anshuman,

You have solid profile with strong GMAT and international work experience which most of your target B-schools look for in prospective applicant. Your entrepreneurial venture and public speaking on health and fitness sounds interesting. You should ideally apply to minimum 5-6 schools to increase your chances, from your list I can predict INSEAD and IESE will be ambitious schools, IE and HEC will be realistic schools and ESADE, SDA will be safe schools based on your profile. The next step for you is to focus on your essays and build strong application, let me know if you have any questions...

Regards
Manish
Director (ISB Alumnus)
General Education - India's premier GMAT & Application Consulting company

Get Advice: +91- 90350 50056 | Email Us: [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by anshmania8 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:18 am
Hi Manish!

What kind of application should I make to get a serious shot the ambitious schools?

Will a higher score in GMAT affect the application?

What should I focus on in my application?

Thank you for your detailed response.

Regards
Anshuman

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:29 am
Hi Anshuman,

Since you have a couple months before looking at next year's application, I think it's worth giving the GMAT another shot especially if INSEAD and IESE are important to you. Though there is a bit of a risk here, getting your practice test scores up to 720 and above should give you the confidence to score higher on your next test. Around the end of April/beginning of May, you can then shift gears and focus on building your story.

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by AdmitPitch » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:43 am
Hi Anshuman:

Academics and test scores:

Firstly on GMAT, I think your score in the competitive range of the schools you are looking at. This definelty helps in choosing programs with lot of confidence.

Second, on the academics, though 6.46/10 looks mid-range, I need to understand more about the class and how this score fares in the class/college. However, in the application do focus on the strengths in terms of the scores in complex courses, initiatives and engagements during the college, various papers/projects you have initiated and internships you have done (if any).

Work Experience and Strategy:

Automotive background, start-up and multi-cultural experiences - this is the best part of your application. These diverse experiences do make a very interesting profile. From an AdCom perspective this would be a welcome profile. You have taken the risk of moving from a large company in a good role to a start-up and then pursue a Masters in Europe. You need to stress on the reason for the same and how this would connect to the career goals. This shows you genuinely want to make an impact where you work and you have grown in to various roles over time. Once the reasons are nailed down, this is a definelty a big plus and can work in your favor provided you can highlight the learning's and challenges you have overcome.

The rich Automotive experiences, would work in your favor. Do mention what impact you made on the shop floor, what instances did you stretched yourself to try your hands at the larger roles. The cross cultural experiences would help you to make the story stronger, how did you go about making the product plans, execution these large projects while developing global mind-set will help you to put up a strong application.

Recommendations:

You should try to get recommendations from someone who knows you well rather go for titles. It would be a good idea to get reco from one of the other founders from your start-up.

Career goals and schools:

We would recommend to shortlist the schools, which align with your career goals. Do list down what you want to achieve in the MBA program - what you want to accomplish at the school and the skills you need to develop.

We would encourage you to apply in round 1 of next academic year to improve your chances of admission and aim for a scholarship. You can use the time to craft your career goals to detail out all the aspects of the profile: goals, listing on the skills you have and need to develop and reasons for why MBA.
Admit Pitch,
MBA Admission Consultants
https://www.admitpitch.com/
US | UK | China | India
Schedule a 60 minute free assessment, send your resume at [email protected]
We do offer flexi-payment options