Need Some Help

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Need Some Help

by ItsjustEC » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:14 pm
Hey guys,

I just took the GMAT for the first time today (3/18/15) and got a relatively low score. 590 (Q39/V33). I studied for about 45 days and I used the Veritas Prep self study. Basically the way I studied is not working and I am open to any suggestions.

During the 45 days I studied for the exams, I watched all the Veritas prep videos and finished about 60-70% of the homework problems. A major area of weakness I know I need to address is sentence correction.

My target score is 680-700 and I have no deadline for my next try.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:39 pm
Hi ItsjustEC,

Most Test Takers spend 3 months or more on their studies to hit their respective "peak" scores, so it might be that you just haven't put in enough time and work yet. That having been said, how does your Official Score compare with your practice CAT scores?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by ItsjustEC » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:47 pm
My last two practice scores were:

3/1: 610 (Q41/V33)
3/11: 610 (Q44/V30)

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:42 pm
Hi ItsjustEC,

GMAC has publicly stated that a Test Taker's Official GMAT Score is within +-30 points of actual ability, so your 590 is right 'in line' with your last couple of practice CAT scores. Considering your score goal, and the fact that you had only spent 45 days studying, this is all the more evidence that you haven't put in enough study time yet.

My suggestion is that you continue to work with the resources that you have and plan to take 1 CAT/week. If you don't see any progress in the next couple of weeks, then we should discuss alternatives.

Thankfully, it sounds like you have the freedom to continue your studies and a sense of your current strengths and weaknesses.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:44 pm
Hi There,

we would advice you to follow the below steps

1. Start with a mock test. This will help you identify your strong and weak areas
2. If you plan to do self study, get your hands on the best preparatory material available in the market. You can speak to your seniors, get feedback on forums like pagalguy to seek out the best in the market
3. Joining a coaching institute is recommended because it gives a structure to your preparation. Remember cracking GMAT is not just about working hard but working smart as well
4. Make a study time table for yourself that suits you best. You can start with spending 2 hours every day and as you move closer to your test date, start increasing your study hours
5. Keep taking mock tests in real test taking situations. However, more important than taking a mock test is to analyse your performance in the same. If you spend 2 hours on a mock test, spend 6 hours in analysing the same. Figure out ways by which you can continuously keep improving your score
6. Make sure you stay consistent with your schedule. This is extremely important

To know more about the effective GMAT test taking strategies, best books to refer for your GMAT preparation and other important information, you can read here

https://blog.manyagroup.com/index.html?url=Tips-Info

Hope the above information helps. In case, you have any further queries, please do let us know and we would be happy to help. www.manyagroup.com

by ItsjustEC » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:51 am
Thanks for the replies guys!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:39 pm
Hi There,

To improve your performance in GMAT verbal you can read our blog on "5 Best and Tips to Improve GMAT Verbal Score" on the below link.

https://blog.manyagroup.com/detail.html?authorid=62

Wish you the best.
www.manyagroup.com