Bourbon, created from

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

Bourbon, created from

by vipulgoyal » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:07 pm
Bourbon, created from a mixture based mostly on corn, and Rye whiskey, consisting of at least 50% rye, is distilled to contain no more than 80% alcohol per volume and is poured into new oak barrels for the aging process, as doing so complies with federal regulations.

a) is distilled to contain no more than 80% alcohol per volume and is poured into new oak barrels for the aging process, as doing so
b) is poured into new oak barrels for the aging process and is distilled to contain no more than 80% alcohol per volume and, as to do so
c) are distilled to contain no more than 80% alcohol per volume and are poured into new oak barrels for the aging process, as it
d) are distilled to contain no more than 80% alcohol per volume and are poured into new oak barrels for the aging process, as doing so
e) are distilled to contain more than 80% alcohol per volume and are poured into new oak barrels for the aging process, as to do so

D

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:22 am
vipulgoyal wrote:Bourbon, created from a mixture based mostly on corn, and Rye whiskey, consisting of at least 50% rye, is distilled to contain no more than 80% alcohol per volume and is poured into new oak barrels for the aging process, as doing so complies with federal regulations.

a) is distilled to contain no more than 80% alcohol per volume and is poured into new oak barrels for the aging process, as doing so
b) is poured into new oak barrels for the aging process and is distilled to contain no more than 80% alcohol per volume and, as to do so
c) are distilled to contain no more than 80% alcohol per volume and are poured into new oak barrels for the aging process, as it
d) are distilled to contain no more than 80% alcohol per volume and are poured into new oak barrels for the aging process, as doing so
e) are distilled to contain more than 80% alcohol per volume and are poured into new oak barrels for the aging process, as to do so
A and B: Bourbon...and Rye whiskey...is distilled
Here, is (singular) does not agree with bourbon and Rye whiskey (plural).
Eliminate A and B.

In C, it lacks a clear referent.

D: Bourbon...and rye whiskey...are distilled, as doing so
Generally, COMMA + as doing so serves to refer to the preceding SUBJECT.
Here, COMMA + as doing so seems to refer to bourbon and rye whiskey (the preceding subject), implying that BOURBON AND RYE WHISKEY are DOING SO.
Not the intended meaning.
Eliminate D.

E: are distilled to contain MORE THAN 80% alcohol per volume
Not the intended meaning.
The intended meaning of the original sentence is that bourbon and rye whiskey will contain NO more than 80% alcohol per volume.
Eliminate E.

There is no correct answer here.
I would ignore this SC.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by patarida » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:50 am
Can we consider the whole blue as modifier?
What is the indicator that "and Rye whiskey" is meant to be subject as well?

Bourbon, created from a mixture based mostly on corn, and Rye whiskey, consisting of at least 50% rye, is distilled to contain no more than 80% alcohol per volume and is poured into new oak barrels for the aging process, as doing so complies with federal regulations.