HELP ME! I'M DESPERATE!

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

HELP ME! I'M DESPERATE!

by Nan23ark » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:39 am
I'm 2 weeks away from my gmat exam , I've already studied for 2 weeks but I took my first complete test yesterday and I scored ad awful 270. The fact is that I ended both quant and verbal section EIGHTEEN MINUTES earlier, so the "Pace yourself" point is not a problem... Today I decided to take another test, trying to calm down a bit and I scored a 560... What does it mean? What should I think, is it possible for me to get a good score, such as 690 or should I give up?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:49 am
Hi Nan23ark,

Most Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) on their studies, so the fact that you've been studying for just 2 weeks (and have given yourself just 4 weeks of total study time) IS part of the problem.

The GMAT is a big Test, but it is predictable and standardized, so you CAN learn all about the content and patterns, and you can train to score at a higher level. However, for most Test Takers, that entire process can't be condensed down into 4 weeks.

To score 690+, you're likely going to need to invest in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or Instructor-Led) and you're certainly going to need to spend more time than you originally planned for.

1) What GMAT materials have you used so far?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:13 am
Nan23ark wrote:I'm 2 weeks away from my gmat exam , I've already studied for 2 weeks but I took my first complete test yesterday and I scored ad awful 270. The fact is that I ended both quant and verbal section EIGHTEEN MINUTES earlier, so the "Pace yourself" point is not a problem... Today I decided to take another test, trying to calm down a bit and I scored a 560... What does it mean? What should I think, is it possible for me to get a good score, such as 690 or should I give up?
Wow, those scores are considerably different!
As Rich points out, 2 weeks isn't a lot of time.

If you absolutely must take the test in 2 weeks, I suggest that you focus on concepts that have the greatest return on investment (ROI). These are concepts that are tested frequently and require the least amount of time to learn. In my opinion, these concepts are:
- Sentence Correction
- Data Sufficiency strategies
- Percent
- Integer Properties
- Powers/roots
- Algebra
- Geometry

I say all of this because I often see students spending a lot of time agonizing over concepts like Probability and Counting, when these concepts are not tested nearly as much as concepts like integer properties and geometry.

Now CR and RC questions probably have the lowest ROI. I'm not saying that you shouldn't prepare for them; I'm just saying that improvements take a long time, especially for non-native English speakers. For CR, be sure you understand the various question types.

Finally, try to take several practice tests in order to perfect your time management skills and build your endurance.

On the topic of time-management....
The fact is that I ended both quant and verbal section EIGHTEEN MINUTES earlier, so the "Pace yourself" point is not a problem
If you're ending each section with 18 minutes remaining then pacing is definitely a problem. In a perfect world, you want to complete a section with less than 1 minute remaining so that you give yourself the greatest amount of time per question. I suggest that you use the following Milestone Charts to keep you on track:
We (at GMAT Prep Now) feel that these times are easily remembered so you can quickly jot them on your noteboard on test day.

This (and more) is covered in our free GMAT time management video at https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gener ... es?id=1244

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:03 pm
Hi There,

There is a big difference between the two scores that you have mentioned. Were the test taking conditions similar in both of your tests? Which tests did you take?

There are several tests available in the market. The most reliable is GMAC. Take one test from GMAC and see how you score in that. It will provide you a fair idea of how much can you score in GMAT.

www.manyagroup.com