Road to a 3rd Attempt... Please Help

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Road to a 3rd Attempt... Please Help

by patodrums89 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:29 pm
Hey guys!

I have read religiously the GMAT Forums and advices for almost half a year now, but I never thought I would be writing my own GMAT experience, moreover, I never thought I would be writing asking for desperate help.

As having attempted the GMAT two times already without getting the desire outcome, I will share with you what I think have been my main mistakes during my prep period. I hope that with this info the people that are just starting their preparation can see what things they should avoid and I hope that those GMAT experts could throw some comments on my strategy for the third attempt.

Thanks in advance!

1st Attempt

Prep Time: August to November 2014 (3 months and a half).

Score: 600 (Don't remember well but I think it was IR 6; Q40 and V31... I cancelled my score)

Mistakes on 1st Attempt
- Creating a Study Schedule not a Study Plan.
- Lack of discipline following that schedule.
- Changing my study approach almost every third day during the last month of the process.
- Saturation of information.
- Lack of mistakes assessment.
- Lack of self-evaluation throughout the study process.
- Undermining the time and stamina factor.

2nd Attempt

Prep Time: 1st of February - 7th of March 2015 (5 weeks).

Score: 640 (IR 5; Q42; V36)

Mistakes:
- Lack of consistency on my study sessions.
- Following a good strategy but not customizing it to my needs.
- Covering the whole GMAT theory but not working on developing it as a second nature.
- Worked on time management but not on speed.
- Not developing enough stamina.
- Reviewing mistakes without following an Error Log.

3rd Attempt Planned Approach

1. I don't want to get rusty so I think its better to retake my prep this weekend.
2. Again, a prep duration of 6 to 7 weeks, I might have a 4 days interruption.
3. Study in the mornings during weekdays since I think is the best time to learn and now I control of my schedule (LIKE A BOSS), and on weekends perform a CAT and have 6 hours study sessions.
4. Hardcore Study Session composed by:
a. One hour of theory review. (25% of session)
b. Two hours of problem solving. (50% of session)
c. One hour of Error Logging. (25% of session)
5. Study plan structured as follows:
a. Two weeks (prior my trip) focus on theory but in an active way; for example re-reading MGMAT SC, Number Properties and Word Problems. (No Hardcore Study Session during this period)
b. Two weeks focus on accuracy and skillbuilding. I will solve the problems untimed and I will do it on an incremental way (as bb said on a post, first assuring I have +90% accuracy on 600 problems before moving to the +700).
c. One week (or two) focus on speed solving timed problems.
d. Last 10 days focus on stamina. Full sets or CATs each day with just one hour of review at nights.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:53 pm
Hi patodrums89,

Your overall plan seems fine, but I think that you will benefit from a larger focus on review (define WHY you're getting questions wrong and then FIX those issues). Your two Official scores are within a small range of one another, which means that you didn't really make a big improvement to HOW you approach the Test. If you approach your third attempt in the same general way, then you'll likely score in the same general range.

1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]