WaNT TO WALK THROUGH GMAT!

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

WaNT TO WALK THROUGH GMAT!

by daverajee » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:11 am
Hello Friends!

This is my post on BTG and I find this forum very informative and has many amazing successful stories.I thought I should prepare for GMAT but here comes the BUT! I feared math during my high school. My biggest fear for not taking GMAT was math because my basic concepts of mathematics are very weak. Once I flunked in 11th grade and switched to Political Science in 12th grade ( our school gave us an option to switch subjects in commerce stream). After reading the successful stories in BTG, I though I should beat my fear and make it my strength. And also I was a mediocre student. My english is very simple and not good vocabulary.

Now that I have quitted my job and studying for CFP and also start with GMAT prep where I always wanted to start with and challenge myself.

Though I started with Khan academy online basic math because I have completely forgotten math and also started reading newspaper to work on my english language skills. I need your advice how to walk through GMAT.
What best books are advisable for me? I need some great help.

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:56 am
daverajee wrote: Though I started with Khan academy online basic math because I have completely forgotten math and also started reading newspaper to work on my english language skills. I need your advice how to walk through GMAT.
What best books are advisable for me? I need some great help.
If you use a non-GMAT source to work on your math, you may spend a lot of time learning concepts that aren't required for the GMAT. You might want to research some of the available test-prep courses (many provide some sort of free trial period). I can tell you that each module in our course (GMAT Prep Now) begins with the most fundamental (rudimentary) concepts and eventually covers all concepts and strategies required to score 800.

If you're looking for interesting, GMAT-like content to help build your English skills, here some suggestions.

For Science passages, try:
- New Scientist
- Nature
- National Geographic
- Popular Mechanics
- Scientific American

For Humanities/Social Sciences, try:
- Washington Post
- New York Times
- Guardian
- Atlantic Monthly
- The New Yorker

And for Business, try:
- Fast Company
- Newsweek Business
- The Harvard Business Review
- BusinessWeek
- Economist
- Financial Times

Finally, I suggest that you take an official practice test: https://www.mba.com/the-gmat/download-fr ... tware.aspx. This will help direct your studies.

Aside: If you're interested, I wrote an article on the importance of taking a practice test early in one's studies: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/articles/tak ... st-already

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:00 am
Hi daverajee,

Many Test Takers find it difficult to study for two Tests at the same time, so you might want to focus on either your CFP work or the GMAT, finish up with that first Test, then start preparing for the second.

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) Have you thought about what Schools you want to apply to?

The GMAT is a big Test, but it is predictable, so you CAN train to score at a high level.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:45 pm
Hey Dave,

So the awesome thing is that the Math on the GMAT is essentially Number Properties, Arithmetic, Algebra, and Geometry. The only "statistics" stuff is mean, median, mode, and the occasional standard deviation-influenced question. There is NO super-advanced algebra! No logarithms, data analysis, matrices, trigonometry, etc. (Thank God!)

Here is a list of every GMAT Quant concept:

"¢ Absolute Value
"¢ Angles
"¢ Area
"¢ Averages
"¢ Circles
"¢ Coordinate Geometry
"¢ Data Interpretation
"¢ Decimals
"¢ Distance problem
"¢ Estimation
"¢ Evaluating expressions
"¢ Exponents and Roots
"¢ Factors, Divisibility, Primes
"¢ Fractions
"¢ Functions
"¢ Inequalities
"¢ Inscribed Figures
"¢ Interest
"¢ Intersecting lines and angles
"¢ Linear Equations
"¢ Lines
"¢ Mean, Median, Mode
"¢ Mixtures
"¢ Number Properties
"¢ Parallel Lines
"¢ Percents
"¢ Perimeter
"¢ Permutations and Combinations
"¢ Probability
"¢ Profit
"¢ Quadratic Equations
"¢ Quadrilaterals
"¢ Rates and Work
"¢ Ratios and Proportions
"¢ Sequences
"¢ Sets
"¢ Standard Deviation
"¢ System of Linear Equations
"¢ Triangles
"¢ Volume
"¢ Word Problems

Khan Academy videos are awesome, but as was pointed out, they are not specifically GMAT-geared. So I would only watch the ones that cover these listed concepts. Purple Math is another great website that will slowly walk you through basic math review: https://www.purplemath.com/

I'd recommend getting the MGMAT strategy guides, and use them in conjunction with the 3 Official Guides made by GMAC.

Official Guides: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1118923227/

Start with the MGMAT Foundation Guide: https://www.amazon.com/Foundations-GMAT- ... 4TXDVNANND

Once you've got that down you can graduate to the MGMAT Number Properties, Algebra, Geometry, and Word Translations guides.

You may also want to consider working with a tutor once you've done a good amount of Math review so you can master Problem Solving and (especially) Data Sufficiency strategies (how/when to guess, picking numbers, backsolving, organizing word problem givens on your scratch pad, understanding common "traps" in DS, approaching "Value" v. "Yes/No" Data Sufficiency, etc.) Data Sufficiency is unique to the GMAT and something you've probably never seen before, so it takes some getting used to. I like the Veritas Prep Data Sufficiency book quite a bit.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Vivian
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:54 pm
Hi There,

We would advice you to start your preparation with a mock test. This would not only familiarize you with the test format but also help you to identify your strong and weak areas. Post this, make a study plan for yourself which should give you time enough to cover your basics and also let you attempt a lot of practice questions. Start with 2 hours per day and gradually increase it to 4 hours and eventually 6 hours per day as you approach the test date. Once you are over with your basics get hold of as many practice test as you can. Start attempting them. Now, understand that more than giving a practice test, it is critical how much time you spend on analyzing your performance in the same. Typically, if you spend 2 hours in taking a mock test, spend 4-5 hours in analyzing it. Go over each and every question and find out a better, smarter and a faster way to solve each question. Take a note of all the points and make sure you apply them in the next test. The key is to keep improving every day. Lastly, join an online study group. I suggest this because the biggest challenge in GMAT preparation is to be able to stay motivated and committed throughout the duration of your preparation. Let us know if you need any further help regarding your GMAT preparation and we would be happy to help.

You can read our blog on "Best Books for GRE/GMAT Preparation" on the link below. It will help.

https://blog.manyagroup.com/detail.html?authorid=59

All the best.
www.manyagroup.com