GMAT Prep Exam 3 Q32

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

GMAT Prep Exam 3 Q32

by Abhijit K » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:29 pm
Drawing on her roots in a society that has a strong tradition of story-telling and oral renditions of the past, Indian writer Suniti Namjoshi incorporates many types of literature into her (( writing: including historical texts, legends, and even nursery rhymes from both Indian as well as)) European sources.

A.writing: including historical texts, legends, and even nursery rhymes from both Indian as well as
B.writing: historical texts, legends, and even nursery rhymes from both Indian and
C.writing: these include historical texts, legends, and even nursery rhymes from both Indian and
D.writing, which includes historical texts, legends, and even nursery rhymes both from Indian as well as
E.writing that includes historical texts, legends, and even nursery rhymes both from Indian and

I chose B which is right. However, need some clarity on the use of semi colon in options A,B and C

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:35 am
When you post an SC, please underline the relevant portion:
Drawing on her roots in a society that has a strong tradition of story-telling and oral renditions of the past, Indian writer Suniti Namjoshi incorporates many types of literature into her writing: including historical texts, legends, and even nursery rhymes from both Indian as well as European sources.

A.writing: including historical texts, legends, and even nursery rhymes from both Indian as well as
B.writing: historical texts, legends, and even nursery rhymes from both Indian and
C.writing: these include historical texts, legends, and even nursery rhymes from both Indian and
D.writing, which includes historical texts, legends, and even nursery rhymes both from Indian as well as
E.writing that includes historical texts, legends, and even nursery rhymes both from Indian and
A: writing: including
C: writing: these include
When a colon serves to introduce a list, the list that follows the colon must be COMPLETE.
In contrast, forms of to include serve to introduce a PARTIAL LIST.
Thus, it is contradictory to employ a COLON (which serves to introduce a COMPLETE list) along with a form of to include (which serves to introduce a PARTIAL list).
Eliminate A and C.

D: writing, which includes
E: writing that includes
Here, the implication is that the WRITING includes historical texts.
Not the intended meaning.
Non-underlined portion: Suniti Namjoshi INCORPORATES many types of literature into her writing.
In other words, the author herself INCLUDES these types of literature when she writes.
Eliminate D and E.

The correct answer is B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3