Scored 670 without studying; potential score with studying?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I scored a 670 on my first GMAT attempt without any studying (I took one Kaplan practice online).

I just started a Magoosh 6-mo self study plan which I fully intend to follow to the letter. Anyone able to attest (via personal experience) to score potential post studying?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:25 am
Hi krm08d,

By scoring a 670 with almost no practice, you likely have a natural 'feel' for logical thinking and the necessary content knowledge (math formulas, grammar rules, etc.) to handle much of the material. What were your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on this Test?

Since you don't have any practice 'history' to use as a comparison, there ARE some unknowns:

1) What are your personal strengths and weaknesses?
2) How flexible are you to learn 'new' tactics or content?
3) Can you adapt the way that you do 'work' while answering GMAT questions?

All things being equal, I think that you probably have a strong likelihood of scoring at an even higher level. Just remember that the GMAT gives you the score that you EARN; to raise this score, you'll have to work for it.

When are you planning to take the GMAT?
When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by krm08d » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:09 am
V- 42
Q- 40

My plan is to take the test in September. I am following a Magoosh 6 month study plan.

I am adaptable, and I am working adopting best practices as I progress through the study plan.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:08 pm
HI krm08d,

With a potential Test Date in September, you've given yourself plenty of time to study, which is good. You might actually find that you need less time than you've allotted, but you don't have to make any adjustments to your plans just yet.

As you continue to study and take practice CATs, it's important to make those 'experiences' as realistic and 'test-like' as possible, so make sure to take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections), away from your home, at the same approximate time of day as your Official GMAT, etc.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]